• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Star Wars - Episode One: Child of the Force

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points

original film name: The Phantom Menace
film studio name: Lucasart
Date Original Film Was Released: (1999)
Date Re-Edit Was Released: Nov 2007
Original Runtime: 133 minutes
Balance Of The Force Runtime: 121 minutes
New Runtime: 122 minutes
Amount of time Cut/Added: 12 minutes
Cuts removed/added/extended:

Cuts Removed (Too many to list, but here's a rough guide)
REPUBLIC CRUISER COCKPIT
REPUBLIC CRUISER PILOTS
HOLOGRAM OF RUNE & NUTE STANDING ON TANK
JAR JAR NABOO SPACECRAFT
JUNK SHOP (RE-WORKED)
ANAKIN AT HOME (RE-WORKED)
QUI-GON & SHMI TALK (RE-WORKED)
ANAKIN?S FRIENDS
QUI-GON & OBI-WAN MIDICHLORIAN TALK
MAIN HANGER (RE-WORKED)
PROBE
RACE COMMENTATORS COMPLETEY REMOVED!!! & THE WHOLE RACE RE-WORKED
ANAKIN & THREEPIO
TEMPLE OF THE JEDI (RE-WORKED)
GUNGAN BATTLE (JAR JAR RE-WORKED)
ANAKIN STARFIGHTER (RE-WORKED)
MAIN HANGER COURTYARD (RE-WORKED)
ENDING (RE-WORKED)Cuts added:

The Waterfall Sequence (RE-WORKED)
Extended Podrace Lap Two (RE-WORKED)
Anakin?s Scuffle with Greedo

Fanedit Details
2.35:1 NTSC Anamorphic
English/French Audio (I think :lol: ) Stereo
English Subtitles

DVD-Features:
None

Conceptual improvements/advancements of edit over original edit:
Improve opening Crawl Kindly created for me by TAOLAR , transition wipes, widescreen error, sound & tighten up original edit.

Time needed for the re-edit
planning: 1 days
editing: 4 days
sound editing: 4 days
trailer: none
DVD layout and features: Menu with Subtitle option
persons involved: Father Merrin

Maybe downloadable from info

cool, will you be making this available in both formats? and how are you distributing this?

Hi,

I just thought I'd give you all an update on how my re-edits of the Star Wars Prequals are coming along.

Firstly, I've finished EP I, which is a relief as it was a lot of hard work replacing Jar Jar's voice with the foriegn language.

Anyway, I've mention the things I've improved on in the "Conceptual improvements" but I'd like to add a couple of more specific things.

Firstly, I'm really happy with what I've done with the Pod Race. It's much tighter than my original edit. As well as completely removing the Commentators I've removed some of the deleted scenes that slowed the race down & I've added some music which really adds to the excitement.

I've also managed to improve on Jar Jar. I have completely removed him from some scenes I had him in my 1st edit, but I've also re-edited him in different ways & have managed to make him a little bit funnier as well as brave.

They're the big changes, everything else was just a matter of making the edit more professional, unlike my original edit. I must say having watched it, it does "Feel" like a different movie from my 1st edit & for the first time I actually enjoyed watching EP I.

So now I'm really excited about sharing it with everyone, espcially as this is my first NTSC film, so this is probably gonna be the fist FM edit some people have seen.

I'm not gonna release it yet, as I want to give it a break for couple of days, then come back with a freah head & see if I'm still happy with it. Also, I'm not gonna release it until I've finished the other two prequals, but they won't take me long so hopefully I'll have all three done by the beginning of December by the latest.

Also, I'm not sure how I'm gonna distributing these flicks. I was gonna use Demonoid but that's clearly out of the question at the moment. I looked at the Newgroups but I'm not gonna try that cause I'm piss poor at the moment & with Xmas coming I really don't wont to spend too much cash on this, if any. I was thinking of uploading via Rapidshare but by the time I've finished EP III Xmas will be coming up & I know I won't have the time to upload all those files.

I have recently joined MySpleen, but I don't know if many people are a member, so if there's any alternatives let me know.

perhaps posting the edits to someone who has a rapidshare account & a fast connection. avp is in the UK, but he is currently offline. boon is in germany and I am in the US.

I'd be cool with that.

My connection is OK but I've tried doing Rapidshare before & it took me ages to upload everything.

If someone is willing then I'll be more than happy to send it to them.

Obviously, out of the 3 I'd prefer it if avp wouldn't mind as it would save me on the P&P:D , but to be honest I'd be happy to send it to anyone who's willing to take the time to put up on their account. :)

FM, I'm looking forward to taking a look at what you've done. It's good to know that lifting the Race Announcer is do-able, but I'm not jealous that you're satisfied with subbing the Gungans. Only last night I gave up on it myself (perhaps only temporarily). I haven't seen it done yet to my satisfaction (i.e. that it's any less distracting than the original patois was annoying) so I'm keen to see your results.

Wow, now I have a list of like seven or eight must downloads from this place. Guess it's time for a rapidshare account.[/quote]

Hi Type12point. Removing the Race Announcers wasn't a problem, it was their removing their Voice Overs that was a real pain, but it was worth doing.

For me the main flaw of EP I was Jar Jar & the Gungans. Removing their voices was essential for me, put it this way if I couldn't of replaced Jar Jar's voice then I wouldn't of bothered with editing the film at all. I mean I've seen lot's of SW I edits & they're all really good, but the second I hear that stupid voice it does my head in.

But I think you should give it another try because as well as removing the annoying sound of his voice it also gives you the chance to change what Jar Jar says & so you can actually change his personality & even the storyline. For example in my version Jar Jar is pretty sarcastic & slightly two faced & the subplot about that glowing ball thing is gone, which is something I would never been able to do if I kept his original voice.

The same goes for the Viceroy, in my version they're like the Natzi's.

I can upload these for you if you cant get avp to do it.

That's v.kind of you. :)

I'll PM avp & if he's not up for it I'll let you know.

For me the main flaw of EP I was Jar Jar & the Gungans. Removing their voices was essential for me, put it this way if I couldn't of replaced Jar Jar's voice then I wouldn't of bothered with editing the film at all. I mean I've seen lot's of SW I edits & they're all really good, but the second I hear that stupid voice it does my head in.

But I think you should give it another try because as well as removing the annoying sound of his voice it also gives you the chance to change what Jar Jar says & so you can actually change his personality & even the storyline. For example in my version Jar Jar is pretty sarcastic & slightly two faced & the subplot about that glowing ball thing is gone, which is something I would never been able to do if I kept his original voice.

I guess I'm going to end up producing one of the subtlest Phantom Menace fanedits ever. It certainly won't please the guys who can't stand Jar Jar, like yourself. Even when I was out to overdub, I was only intending to do Boss Nass. a) it was set-up that JJ was an outcast from his xenophobic socitey to such an extent that he had learned human language while the others hadn't, and b) I didn't want to have to dub Jar Jar all the way through the film.

Jar Jar was never my biggest complaint with the movie. Only his worst broad comedy bits will be going (the poo, the slapstick, the fart, all that intolerable physical/low comedy stuff). I'm much more anxious to silence the McCauley Culkin-esque declarations from Jake LLoyd in the last act, and the pod race announcer, and all the other stuff that hurt the action pieces. That, and pace, will be my biggest concerns. I've never been antagonistic to the generally lighter, more naive and gentler feel of Phantom Menace. (It's Clones I want to eviscerate!--and I shall.)

I'll have to save my painstaking alien overdubbing for the Kaminoans and Clones, where subtitling has to help straighten out the film. It's too bad, cause before beginning any a/v work, I went over all three scripts and subtitled everyone and everything that wasn't human. Coming from the perspective of a writer (I was freelancing fiction even before I went to film school), I slaved over each and every line, going for snappier, more concise, plot-easing dialogue.

I find that the two fan-edits I've seen so far--the Phantom Editor's was one, I can't remember the other--were not suitable alternatives to me as a watching experience (hence the thread I started in Fan Ideas) because of the places where they overreached themselves. Brave, talented stuff, to be sure, but I don't yet want to try for it myself just to prove I can write a snappy line or two.

I tried voices backwards. I tried foreign language sources. I tried dissassembling individual words and replanting them. I've played with the pitch, the reverb, and every filter in between. I even tried my own line readings, since I'm a fairly talented mimic and have a pretty good Brian Blessed down. Everything ended up being less worth it than just letting the Gungans be the Gungans, with no slapstick. My similar plans to redub Greivous have similarly gone away.

All in all I think I'll just be doing: the techno-masked Neimodians only, an alien senator or two, the Kaminoans, the cockroach people and other alien separatists, and the birthing droid.

Matthias, please re-read (or read if you never did) The Rules and Using This Site.

The Rules said:
Posting No-No's:
Don't post asking for download links of fanedits: Fanedit.info is a great resource for finding fanedits. If however an edit is not listed there or the files are dead, do not publicly request links on this site. We will delete all link requests and you will, in repeating cases, get a warning. Posts like "where can I find this?" will also be deleted, as this is already answered on fanedit.org and the forum in the respective fanedit posts.
Don't post asking for download links: We will delete all link requests and you will, in repeating cases, get banned.
File Hosting Availability
It is 100% up to the editor to decide where to host their fanedits. Fanedit.org does not mandate where fanedits are uploaded to because that is not the business of the site, but the business of the individuals uploading. If a fanedit goes offline, please first review the Forum thread for the edit to see if the editor has posted information about this, and if not, you are free to send a Private Message to the faneditor. Posting in the forum that the fanedit is offline is discouraged.

Using This Site said:
Availability
Fanedit.org is a discussion and listing site only. Editors are responsible for making their edits available to those who want to download them. Typically editors use a variety of methods to make their edits available for digital download including usenet and digital file-lockers such as Rapidshare or Mediafire.

Because Fanedit.org is a discussion site only, direct links for downloading of copyrighted material are NEVER allowed on the site, this includes the forum, the news pages and the edit listings themselves.

Quite often, faneditors will use a site such as fanedit.info as a means of providing direction on how to acquire their edits, however this is not required in order to list an edit on fanedit.org. Fanedit.info is not an affiliated site of fanedit.org, and as such please do not contact the fanedit.org staff about any issues or questions regarding fanedit.info.

It is ok to discuss the fact that such sites exist, and that edits may be available there (such as, “this edit is available on rapidshare” or “dlc is now available at info”) but NEVER include direct links to any site, or any link which is for downloading copyrighted material of any kind. If you have questions about this policy, please contact a staff member DIRECTLY. Do not post in the forum. These posts will be deleted and continued abuse of this rule will lead to infractions and temporary/permanent bans from the site.

I apologize. I knew that requesting or posting links was against the rules, but did not recall the rules on discussing the availability of a fanedit. Won't happen again.

This has been added to info via Megashares.

Back
Top Bottom