• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Blu-Ray Drive cannot read Region 1 DVD

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe the boffins and wizkids on FE.org can help!:)

I've got a Sony Vaio Laptop running on Win764 with a Matshita BR drive (matshita bd-mlt uj242as). I've exhausted my region change limit and it is now permenatly locked to Region 2. I've used the AnyDVDHD program for years which forces my drive to allow me to play R2 DVDs, R1BRs, R2BRs but it won't even allow me to access the files of a R1 DVD.

Normally I get around this problem because I've got an old desktop PC running XP with a much older DVD drive that can read R1 DVDs no problem. So I rip it to the HD and copy the files over onto my laptop and work on it form there. But my old DVD drive has just gone up the spout and I now have no way to access and edit films from my Region 1 DVD collection.:mad:

I've been googling around to try and find an answer to this question with no success. Everytime I read down I find somebody mistakenly suggesting installing AnyDVD and I'm losing the will to live.:cry:

I suspect the answer is somewhere in Windows' registry and I need to change a 2 to a 0. Every page I come across tells me to go to a different part of the registry and none of it is any use.

If any other editors have had similar problems and can help it would be fantastic, thanks.:)

hmmm, I use DVDFab, and it just asks me what the region is and opens whatever. give that a go.

One of the old solutions (XP) was to uninstall the drive.
Reboot.
When the system restarts, it should see the burner and reinstall, with new region settings limits.
Again, that was more common a couple years ago.
A few sites recommended DVD Fab's Passkey Lite -
http://www.dvdfab.com/passkey-lite.htm
and the free version does address the region limit.

ThrowgnCpr said:
hmmm, I use DVDFab, and it just asks me what the region is and opens whatever. give that a go.

Gave DVDFab a few goes. First time I got BSOD :mad: Then after a restart it seemed to work after much loading and freezing and at least acknowledged that there was a DVD in the drive. I ripped it to my hard drive but the result was...

9969635935_7aa6d1b05e.jpg

...which was pleasingly psychedelic but not much use.:-D

Vultural said:
One of the old solutions (XP) was to uninstall the drive.
Reboot.
When the system restarts, it should see the burner and reinstall, with new region settings limits.
Again, that was more common a couple years ago.
A few sites recommended DVD Fab's Passkey Lite -
http://www.dvdfab.com/passkey-lite.htm
and the free version does address the region limit.

Passkey didn't do anything beyond crashing Windows Explorer when I stupidly forgot to switch off AnyDVD before hand.

I'm gonna try uninstalling the drive next.

Thanks anyway guys/gals!:)

definitely don't run anydvd and dvdfab at the same time.

What you might want to do in the future is just set it to Region 0. That way you'll be able to play DVD's from any region without having to constantly change it back to Region 2.

Frantic Canadian said:
What you might want to do in the future is just set it to Region 0. That way you'll be able to play DVD's from any region without having to constantly change it back to Region 2.

...and the 'Hindsight Award' goes to...^! :p

Joking but seriously, my old WinXPcomputer didn't have the same problem of permenantly locking the drive (It still doesn't) so I wasn't aware of the problem when I got the Win7 laptop (A couple of years ago) until I suddenly was. :D Yes with future computers I will be very careful, but it's too late now.

Uninstalling didn't work (I'm sure it used to on XP), my computer still 'remembered' not to let me play the DVD.

I'm sure editing the registry must be an easy fix if only I knew what bit to edit.

Until I find a solution, I'm just going to keep hitting my old PC's DVD drive until it works again. btw my PS3's Blu-Ray drive stopped working for about a fortnight once and the hour before I set off to buy a new one it suddenly started working again. Been fine since.

ThrowgnCpr said:
definitely don't run anydvd and dvdfab at the same time.

You'll set off a chain reaction and kill us all!

It would be bad.

I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad situation.

Back
Top Bottom