• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What movie should I watch next?

Simba7

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well guys, It's hard to know what movies to watch, so this is the "I recommend a movie" thread. Please put a IMDB link if you can.

I just watched "Waitress" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473308/ ) yesterday, and it was excellent. It started nicely and kept on being good, all the way to the end! It's very rare to see a movie that is good all the way through these days...

Edit: I'll give this movie a 7.3/10 on the Simba movie scale.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Try...

Welcome to Dongmakgol (2005).

A very good Korean film about several soldiers trapped in a wayback village somewhere in the Korean DMZ during the Korean War. The villagers don't even know what a gun is. The soundtrack is composed by Joe Hisaishi, who also composed the soundtracks for all of Miyazaki's films since Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984).

Simba7

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the tip, I'll try to find this movie somewhere...

Yesterday I watched Rescue Dawn ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462504/ ). The movie is about a German born American pilot, and his Adventures during the Vietnam war.
It was very nicely done movie, well acted and realistic looking. I'll give it 7.1/10 on the simba scale of movies. (The movie leading the Simba scale, at the moment, is Apocalypse now - the original, with 8.5/10)

Simba7

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yesterday I watched the Korean movie Welcome to Dongmakgol. I have seen only other Korean movie before, about some secret South Korean agents fighting against north Korean spies. Welcome to Dongmakgol was totally different movie, it was very poetic and close to nature. I wish they would have developed the characters a little bit more. all in all I would give it 6.1/10.

messenjah14

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Simba7 said:
I have seen only other Korean movie before, about some secret South Korean agents fighting against north Korean spies
That means that you haven't seen Oldboy. Watch it :-x
If you liked Rescue Dawn, you might like Herzog's Aguirre. It's also kind of a jungle movie, but it scares the living shit out of you instead of even trying to entertain you.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also try:

Mischief Night (2006).

An absolute howler of a film about racial tensions in modern Britain. Hysterically funny. Don't know if you'll get the British humour, though. If you are feeling uncomfortable about this, relax and let it all out. It takes the piss out of everything from Islamic extremism to gangsters.

UseYourIllusionII

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would Reccomend the movie "Ready to Rumble"

It's a childish-humored movie at most points, but I loved it when I was younger and I still love it now. It's not a kids movie, though, just some potty humor and such.

I'd also suggest Jackie Brown. It's a very underrated Quentin Tarrantino movie, but it's fantastic.

I know these suggestions aren't barely known movie Gems or foreign films, but they're still good.

Simba7

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for all the movie tips!
I haven't seen any of those movies, except Jackie Brown which I have in my yellow Tarantino box. Looks like I'll have lots of movies to watch this weekend... :)

Edit: Yesterday I watched "Death at a Funeral" ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0795368/ ), which is a really funny British comedy. It was just excelent! British Humor at it's best! It was so good, I've added it to my list of movies to buy... :)
I'll give it 7.2/10.

Simba7

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yesterday I watched Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes. Apparently, a few hundred years ago, Spanish people could speak German really well... :)
It was a really good movie, Strange and beautiful. because it's so out there, I don't really know how to rate it, so I won't.

It says on the IMDB pages that this is a part of a trilogy. does anybody know what are the other films in that trilogy? I would like to see them all.

messenjah14

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Simba7 said:
It says on the IMDB pages that this is a part of a trilogy. does anybody know what are the other films in that trilogy? I would like to see them all.
Well it's part of a trilogy, but only kinda. It's just one of the three "jungle movies" Herzog and Kinski made together. The other two are Fitzcarraldo and Cobra Verde, and although imo neither is as good as Aguirre, they're both really good movies.

Simba7

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yesterday I watched Mischief night, it was really funny and enjoyable movie.
It's a shame all those white Bri'ish people couldn't speak English at all. They had this weird fokin dialect that had me brain over working. maybe I should install a faster processor.
The movie itself was great! I'll give it 7/10.

Simba7

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the movie tip, Ghostcut
Last night I watched Ready to Rumble. I enjoyed watching it, even though it was a really stupid movie... :) I'll give it 5/10, it was stupid - not bad.

UseYourIllusionII

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Simba7 said:
Thanks for the movie tip, Ghostcut
Last night I watched Ready to Rumble. I enjoyed watching it, even though it was a really stupid movie... :) I'll give it 5/10, it was stupid - not bad.

Haha, I'm really glad you watched it. Yes, it was very stupid, but since I used to be a wrestling fan I actually went to the theatres and saw it. Haha. Glad you enjoyed it.

Have you seen Kevin Smith's movies?
Jersey Girl and Mallrats are very underrated (although Mallrats is stupid funny at times), and Chasing Amy is fantastic. You should watch Chasing Amy or Jersey Girl next if you haven't seen them.

Simba7

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the movie tips, UseYourIllusionII, I've watched Clerks and Dogma, I'll try the ones you've reccomended.
Yesterday I watched The way home, and it was a great movie, the end almost brought tears to my eyes... The old woman in the movie remainded me of my own grandmother, she also live by herself in a village, and up until 1994, she didn't have running water at her place, so she had to bring buckets of water from the well next to her house. A lot of the old country houses in Finland still don't have any running water. I'll give the movie 6.8/10.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd recommend next...

Infernal Affairs [Mou gaan dou]

And then watch the prequel, Infernal Affairs II [Mou gaan dou II]

(Infernal Affairs III [Mou gaan dou III] wasn't that great, to be honest).

Simba7

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've seen oldboy a few years ago. I just always thought it was a Japanese movie, up until you said it was Korean. It was really good, but it freaked me out a little bit. I remember feeling:
Wow, that was an amazing movie!
I don't ever want to watch it again... :???: :shock: :( :-o :eek: :?

Top Bottom