• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Jurassic World (2015)

addiesin said:
Going to see this tonight with the wife and some coworkers at a local drive-in theater, which I didn't know still existed.
Nice! There are only a couple hundred in the US but apparently there's a bit of a revival happening and some more are being built. Maryland only has one but it's pretty sweet.

thecuddlyninja said:
Nice! There are only a couple hundred in the US but apparently there's a bit of a revival happening and some more are being built. Maryland only has one but it's pretty sweet.
Cool, it was definitely a really fun experience. I think even if the movie was crap I'd have been happy by the end.

But the movie wasn't crap. I loved it! So did all the people that came along with us. There are small nitpicks, sure, but overall it was great to be back in Jurassic Park/World! I'll definitely be buying this film, Mad Max Fury Road, and Age of Ultron when they come out on blu ray. My favorite big crazy action movies of the year so far.

TLDR: No spoilers, better than Jurassic Park 2 and 3, a worthy successor to 1.

It was a fun way to spend 2 hours no doubt and it's the best of the 3 sequels (Not being boring like the other two). I'll try to keep the rest of my thoughts spoiler-free but look away if you don't want anything revealed...

Despite the high fun factor it was full of problems. Many of the characters acted in totally illogical and unbelievable ways. Many elements of the plot made no sense and it was obvious the writers couldn't even be bothered to come with explantions for some things. Characters explained the plot to each other multiple times, sometimes on the same subject and in the same room minutes apart. The plot was pretty simple, it didn't need explaining repeatedly.

The CGI was competent but over used, the few times where practicle FX were used closeup, it was much better. The badguy was such a crazily over-the-top a**hole that he didn't ring true. One of the young characters spends the first part of the movie being all like "Living Dinosaurs? Meh, whatevs". Leading me to suspect he was not from planet earth. They took a friendly minor character I remember from JP1 with great effection and made him into an evil genius. What made that worse was that his screentime was just about setting up sequels. He barely interacts with the rest of the movie.

There was no attention paid to the little details that make a fantasy film believable. e.g. The worst offender being the heroine wearing 6" stiletto heels throught a film that she spends 80% of, running through forests, jungles and swamps at full pelt. I probably wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't decided to write a line into the script pointing out how stupid it was!?!

Some of the good points. I really liked the new owner of the Park. He felt human and real and I could have done with more scenes with him. The "Raptor-Whisperer" element was actually done very well to my surprise and the Raptors still felt dangerous. The action was well paced and exciting. The two leads were charismatic, though not to the same "Romancing The Stone" degree I think the filmakers were aiming for.

I think this is a heavy fanedit away from a super-fun 90 minute dose of Dino action. I look forward to the Blu-Ray and the edits that will no doubt follow.

I agree with pretty much all of that analysis TM2YC, lots of problems, but still a sense of fun throughout the whole thing. It felt like watching the final draft of the finished film, just needing someone (Spielberg?) to come in and finesse it a bit. Still, based on the fairly bland trailers, I was happy with the overall experience. 7/10.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film and I'm glad I kept my expectations low. It's far from a perfect movie, but it's a fun-as-hell dinosaur flick. A solid "B" grade from me. And I'm almost certainly going to fanedit this when it's released on home media, even if just for my own amusement. A film I know I'll enjoy rewatching. Now I gotta watch "Safety Not Guaranteed."

TM2YC said:
I think this is a heavy fanedit away from a super-fun 90 minute dose of Dino action.

Careful. Don't you know the dangers of dinosaur overdosing?

Best moment for me is when the yellow eyes appeared! You knew what was coming.

I saw JW last night. It was all I could have hoped for. Not a great movie, but decent. A solid 7/10 for me. It's the best JP sequel, that's for sure (I really hate The Lost World). Treverrow did a really decent job trying to bring back the feel of the first film.

what I liked:
  • The great use of practical effects. The CGI was a bit much in places, but I think its a given anymore
  • FILM! The use of film helped so much. I wish they would have color-graded it a bit less, but at least they didn't go full orange-teal destruction on it.
  • When the boys found the original Park. that banner... those gadgets... it got me in the feels. There were also loads of subtle call-backs to the original which I got a kick out of
  • they way the raptors emoted. It was a little far fetched to have them be so trainable, but the FX team did a great job adding really good bird-like (duh, birds are dinosaurs) and cat-like behavior

what I didn't like:
  • That fucking CGI bird in the opening park shot. Sorry, as an ornithologist, that shit bugs me.
  • Giacchino's score was really weak, and it really stands out when the classic Williams themes kick in. John was sorely missed on this film
  • Chris Pratt didn't seem to be utilized correctly. His character felt weak and cheap, like he was just there for sex appeal. I would have liked to have seen more of his character. As a result, the romance was too brief and forced.
  • That fucking Sea World crap. That shark still looked like shit.
  • The divorce stuff. In theory it could have worked, but the young boy couldn't carry the weight of that scene. The concept wasn't explored enough to justify keeping it in either.

In the end, I wish there was a bit more focus on the characters, and that the action were delayed a bit more, but all-in-all, this was a respectable sequel. GIMME MOAR DINOSAURS

Just saw this movie and I liked it.

But just one rant. I read Joss Whedon said this movie is a bit sexist???
Why, cause it shows that a leading business lady is still a woman after all?
Because we at last have an actor who can act like a normal dude without any shame after those years of emo-superheroes with daddy's and mommy's issues?
I loved Furiosa in Fury Road as much as the next guy, but not all women needs to be the ultimate badass and not all men needs to be the sidekick for a movie to not be called sexist. And Bryce Dallas Howard still have a couple of moment of cool "badassness" anyway and is more an interesting character than Black Widow in both Avengers movies... Joss Whedon.

:p

TMBTM said:
Just saw this movie and I liked it.

But just one rant. I read Joss Whedon said this movie is a bit sexist???
Why, cause it shows that a leading business lady is still a woman after all?
Because we at last have an actor who can act like a normal dude without any shame after those years of emo-superheroes with daddy's and mommy's issues?
I loved Furiosa in Fury Road as much as the next guy, but not all women needs to be the ultimate badass and not all men needs to be the sidekick for a movie to not be called sexist. And Bryce Dallas Howard still have a couple of moment of cool "badassness" anyway and is more an interesting character than Black Widow in both Avengers movies... Joss Whedon.

:p

The trailer had the scene of Owen making the sex joke to Claire. Based off that one snippet, Joss made a tweet saying it was sexist - certainly without knowing the context of the dialog. He recanted it before the movie came out saying it was stupid to say so in the first place.

beezo said:
The trailer had the scene of Owen making the sex joke to Claire. Based off that one snippet, Joss made a tweet saying it was sexist - certainly without knowing the context of the dialog. He recanted it before the movie came out saying it was stupid to say so in the first place.

I checked what his answer was before posting here. And what he said is:
"I felt like I was seeing something that was problematic. What I said is pretty clear, but I think it was the wrong venue for me to be saying that. That’s dinner party conversation."

1: Everyone have the right to have an opinion, just don't try to look like you're making an apology when clearly you don't.
2: I just can't stand politicaly correct bullshit anymore. Enough is enough.
Even if Chris Pratt was the most misogynist guy on the silver screen ever, well, that would be his character. Big deal.
3: That is a FUN movie damn it I should be praising the good things and not talking about Whedon's comment,
but, like Alice Cooper said:
It's the little things that drive me wild!

TM2YC said:
It was a fun way to spend 2 hours no doubt and it's the best of the 3 sequels (Not being boring like the other two). I'll try to keep the rest of my thoughts spoiler-free but look away if you don't want anything revealed...

Despite the high fun factor it was full of problems. Many of the characters acted in totally illogical and unbelievable ways. Many elements of the plot made no sense and it was obvious the writers couldn't even be bothered to come with explantions for some things. Characters explained the plot to each other multiple times, sometimes on the same subject and in the same room minutes apart. The plot was pretty simple, it didn't need explaining repeatedly.

The CGI was competent but over used, the few times where practicle FX were used closeup, it was much better. The badguy was such a crazily over-the-top a**hole that he didn't ring true. One of the young characters spends the first part of the movie being all like "Living Dinosaurs? Meh, whatevs". Leading me to suspect he was not from planet earth. They took a friendly minor character I remember from JP1 with great effection and made him into an evil genius. What made that worse was that his screentime was just about setting up sequels. He barely interacts with the rest of the movie.

There was no attention paid to the little details that make a fantasy film believable. e.g. The worst offender being the heroine wearing 6" stiletto heels throught a film that she spends 80% of, running through forests, jungles and swamps at full pelt. I probably wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't decided to write a line into the script pointing out how stupid it was!?!

Some of the good points. I really liked the new owner of the Park. He felt human and real and I could have done with more scenes with him. The "Raptor-Whisperer" element was actually done very well to my surprise and the Raptors still felt dangerous. The action was well paced and exciting. The two leads were charismatic, though not to the same "Romancing The Stone" degree I think the filmakers were aiming for.

I think this is a heavy fanedit away from a super-fun 90 minute dose of Dino action. I look forward to the Blu-Ray and the edits that will no doubt follow.
Totally agree with your points.
Also don't forget the strange inclusion of the T-Rex at the end.
And overal I really felt annoyed about the cuts from an action scene to other characters doing nothing. Especially when the indominius was eating the crew with stung guns and the raptor chase to the indominius. Both action scenes were OK, but were destroyed by the cuts to the control room.

it's really a good movie i watched it twice and one more thing, i think dinosaurs works better than humans.

ThrowgnCpr said:
I saw JW last night. It was all I could have hoped for. Not a great movie, but decent. A solid 7/10 for me. It's the best JP sequel, that's for sure (I really hate The Lost World). Treverrow did a really decent job trying to bring back the feel of the first film.
Totally agree. I loved all the everyday stuff of the park working properly, especially the petting zoo. I for one would happily pay full price to see a Before Sunrise-style romantic movie in which two strangers meet and just chat and fall for each other while spending a weekend at the resort, without any loose-dinos mayhem. (Or maybe only at the end, and never leaving their perspective?)

(Though I did wonder just why a pimply teen was an employee on a remote Costa Rican island...)

ThrowgnCpr said:
what I liked:
  • When the boys found the original Park. that banner... those gadgets... it got me in the feels.
Me too! It reminded me of the thrill I felt when, having successfully avoided all previews and spoilers, I suddenly realized, in the theater, that Crystal Skull was showing us where the Ark was, and JW didn't subsequently ruin the moment like that movie did by overdoing it (i.e., actually showing us the damn thing). One could complain about gas going bad and car batteries definitely not lasting that long, but I was having way too much fun for all that.

B+ - like T3, it's a pure-popcorn fun completely unnecessary retread of a classic; like a classic rock cover band playing at a county fair, it does very little new, but does it so well that the fun is all that matters. :)

Back
Top Bottom