• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

IFDB Review: From Hell: Engraved In Stone:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Quick review: TM2YC is a talented chap and very helpful to boot and he has taken this hit and miss movie which was a relative flop at the time and critically under rated until it had a sufficient cult following due mainly to home cinema and mr Depp enduring popularity. In this far gritter version of his role in the excellent but equally loose Sleepy Hollow Mr Depp detects or stumbles his way through Victorian London, over countless mutilated bodies and the most improbably Jack Sparrow precursor of an English accent committed to film. The original edit was a but of a mess and much derided by fans of the source material and film goers and critics alike and had multiple reshoots and endings and cut scenes and all the usual paraphernalia associated with a troubled shoot and even worse early screenings but how does the edit stand up!? Well obviously it is excellent as much as it can be with what he has to work with and saying that the overall effect is good, very good in its own interesting way but the movie has inherent flaws which all the editing in the world cannot correct. What I did like: The film now works lol It is more focussed and coherent and settles into its tone and sticks with it. The film is much darker to the point of being bleak and nihilistic....it is gritty and almost documentary like and this makes a facinating slice of history in a very DEADWOOD style of authenticity. The film is black and white and plays like one of the films characters, the elephant man aka Mr J Merrick which was an easy call but a sensible and brave one none the less as not only is it nearer to the source but it is nearer to the time period lol and helps with all that work print footage! The ending he has chosen is real nasty which lends an air of authenticity and shock and is so far removed from the garbage we are currently being force fed in cinemas from hollywood lately that it is a refreshing change. As the film is a little slow and still meanders in the middle this ending was necessary whilst the happy ending original had us all snoozing as the credits rolled. What I did not care for: not much but maybe the film in general lol I mean that the film is good but not great and this is the directors fault and Depps and Graham who both sleep walk through the movie with their atrocious accents (I am a brit and I also lived in Victorian britan lol no just the former). Fortunately the edit has significantly improved upon the original release. I did not like the inclusion of the Queen in the middle as it was clearly stock or work or a first take and jarred horribly but I see the need for it to keep the royal connection. I think the film could be slimmed down significantly but then it would not be a fan edit as I found this version to be like the LOTR extended which is heaven for fans. The opening credits had two knife scenes back to back which were a little confusing and maybe the 2nd one could have been lost which would get us to Depp quicker as the story really only starts with the protagonist starts to investigate and I guess I think it drags to a point but again that is the fan aspect of it and certainly the slice of horrific life in Britain at that time is fascinating in the sheer detail shoved into every shot. The final credits songs were not to my liking and not in keeping with the film we had just seen (even if there is significance for those songs they do not work at all in my opinion). That is it really......nothing really to moan about which can be attributed to the editor. The question is did he take a diamond in the rough and make it shine or polish a turd lol which is entirely your own decision but I personally found it very enjoyable and nearly flawless in execution. Well done, go see this go to version of this film for now, 9/10 for editing (credit songs killed your 10) and 8/10 overall :D

More...

Top Bottom