• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

IFDB Review: Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace: Reborn:

MCP

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really enjoyed this edit. The editor managed to keep the same movie in essence, in fact no relevant plot points has been left out, but the movie improved in many ways. Now it really feels as the old trilogy movies. In a way I feel this edit is what Lucas intended, but he could not do because he is lost in his new CGI toys he could not have at the time of the originals. I see the theatrical release of Ep. I long ago, so some comparison might be off. The obvious improvement of this movie is from the characters, as in the old trilogy, the characters are nice, enjoyable, and somewhat feels credible in the alien universe they exist. Jar-Jar gained a lot since the theatrical version; he might appears a little clumsy or dim but he is still fairly normal and not the complete idiot we know. TM2YC changed his dialogs completely using new subtitles and giving him an alien speech, now Jar-Jar helps us understand the relation between Gungan and Naboo. He is the son of Rugor Nass, the leader of the Gungan, and really tries its best to help the characters. Besides being the prince it makes sense he becomes Senator with Amidala for the planet. I am impressed how few cuts there and there and new dialogs can improve a character and a movie. In the description we read "Padme and The Queen are one character," but in the movie it feels even better. The queen staying undercover as one of the maid still seems to happen as you see her in maid clothes and when asking for the Gungan alliance you see the decoy queen in the background. Even if it was not what the faneditor intended I really liked this "show, not tell" approach; because protecting the queen with a decoy makes sense and it is important for Episode II begin. But it makes no sense that a decoy sends the real queen to do a menial task like cleaning R2D2! Unfortunately since TM2YC wanted to remove the subplot I felt one scene as missing: the decoy asking the undercover queen what to do and she answers "No have no fear" in the begin of the movie. Since it is not a mystery that the queen is in decoy (or she is not always in the regal clothes) Qui-Gon decision to go on Tatooine with the Queen and Prince makes more sense as he might want the support of powerful figures. In the original movie the reason to bring Jar-Jar was unphantomable. Moreover the Queen now is the strong politician we expect, not only a soldier as she appeared in the second half of the theatrical release. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn were as in the original movie for what I recall, Qui-Gon improves more because the other characters make more sense. But Anakin improvement instead is impressive; the faneditor managed to make him to feel like a future Jedi. Many people seems annoyed by Anakin saying Ops or Whooooa and some fan editor remove those completely. TM2YC instead kept two similar sounds in light-hearted situations: Anakin forgets to plug C3PO's eye (opss...), and Qui-Gon lifts Anakin to put him in the racing pod (wow!). That's it. I liked quite a bit because I felt that Anakin is still a child at heart (he is 9-10 years old after all!), but when the situation becomes harsh he become completely absorbed and concentrated. This is evident during the pod race, there are various perils, but he solves, fixes, and wins without even grumble. Besides removing the dialogs that made him appears a bad racer has been removed and with the Watto partial faith in him Anakin appears as the great racer we expect. Also Qui-Gon appears less crazy in his plan. Lets see other improvements. Cutting the water travel removed some terribly nonsensical elements from the theatrical release. It is not stated the army arrived in the other side of the planet and still manages to go faster than the Jedi passing through the center. It simply seem the two parts took a different way to reach the city; one underwater the other on the ground. Simpler and better. The blood test is cut in a great way: Qui-Gon sends the blood to Obi-Wan and asks for the results: Obi-Wan simple states they are out of the charts and ask what it could mean; Qui-Gon still is not sure. The feeling of scene is that in Star Wars is there some blood measurement that force aware people usually have high; but it is not definitive or mandatory. It if just another piece of the puzzle that is the mysterious boy. During the final battle Anakin goes to space willingly and he has more control of what is going on. Unfortunately the lack of good dialogs in the original movie make the part a little too silent. And in this case Qui-Gon feels weird at not saying anything seeing his wanted apprentice go to war. I am not sure it is possible, but possibly having Qui-Gon yelling to stay in the fighter shipcraft and Anakin disobeying and go to battle could feel better. The Obi-Wan victory in the final duel is completely changed. I think the original with Obi-Wan in serious difficult actually added tension, but the ending was badly executed. And so I liked more the TM2YC's lightning fast attacks of Obi-Wan that cuts in half the Sith.

More...

Back
Top Bottom