If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Book Reviews
I'm pretty sure that's a typo. It should be "Knight Boat."
FALSE RANSOM
[Image: 71xha-V%2BAjL._SL1500_.jpg]

hard-boiled crime novel set in 1930s los angeles.
mob boss's daughter goes missing, and thugs meet thugs, with thuggish outcomes.
engrossing stuff, tighter than a dashiell hammett novel.
percentage of soft-boiled moments: zero.

the kindle version (there's no other kind) is available for free for the time being.
http://www.amazon.com/False-Ransom-first...B00I9K2QL4
Neglify Wrote:[Image: 8nyn.jpg]

Oh hey, they're finally turning this into a movie.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this forum post do not represent the views of Fanedit.org or the Administrators. 
Bait Money by Max Collins

[Image: 33b1zsz.jpg]

First appearance of Collins' "Nolan" character, criminal loner patterned after Westlake's "Parker" and Willie's "Sand."
After surviving a botched hit, Nolan brokers a truce with Family members who hold a grudge.
He must pay $100K to brother of underboss he whacked years earlier.
Because of a Family contract, no pros will work with him, so he is forced to enlist amateurs.
Plot follows the last heist theme, with a lot of time devoted to establishing the caper.
Good read by a young Collins (age 20) before he placed Allan in his signature.
Followed soon thereafter by a sequel, Blood Money.
[SIZE=3]Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger by Louis Sachar
[/SIZE]
[Image: 2s7so.jpg]

The last of the "regular" Wayside books. More fun wacky stories about kids and teachers. An excellent Part 3!

I've never read the "Arithmetic" books, I guess I'll have to pick those up.
Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this forum post do not represent the views of Fanedit.org or the Administrators. 
[SIZE=3]The Fatboy Murders by David A. Kaufelt
[/SIZE]
[Image: gquzi.jpg]

In the sleepy town of SleepyTown, a couple of murders have occurred, rich bastards who were part of the "Fatboys Club". Local real estate attorny Wyn Lewis solves the case, but not before about 200 pages of backstories and soap opera I didn't care about. Snoozefest.
[SIZE=3]If Chins Could Kill - Confessions of a B-Movie Actor by Bruce Campbell[/SIZE]

[Image: umqq.jpg]

I love Bruce. Bruce write book. Book is good. Not all Bruce movies good, but book good.
[SIZE=3]Congo by Michael Crichton[/SIZE]

[Image: 14e1.jpg]

An expedition for rare diamonds goes wrong. Scientist/company-woman recruits Scientist/gorilla-whisperer to go deep into jungle, along with a signing gorilla and a "great-white-hunter" and his gang. Obstacles are overcome. Adventures are had. Engaged throughout I was. Shitty movie adaptation (with Bruce Campbell in a small role!) was shitty.
[SIZE=3]Indiana Jones and the Lost Treasure of Sheba by Rose Estes[/SIZE]

[Image: ykq5.jpg]

An old-school "choose your own adventure" book. Definitely for young readers. I finished all threadlines in one bus trip. Was funny to remember how some of these ended. "Oops, we chose poorly. We're in jail forever now. The End."
[SIZE=3]The Vanishing Hitchhiker: American Urban Legends and Their Meanings by Jan Harold Brunvand[/SIZE]

[Image: zwr4.jpg]

I didn't know what I was expecting. I love urban legend/campfire stories and this had plenty of 'em. But the problem was that it got so repetitive to hear so many variations of the same story and why people like to make up shit to scare themselves/others. Reads more like a history book than a collection of tales.