• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

anybody own a Wii U?

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was in Gamestation the over day and had a go on Mario for the Wii U. i'm a very casual gamer i don't play for 8 hours a day and with people from a round the world, and what i liked about the wii was the ability to pick-up a game very quickly and have fun for a couple of hours (mario kart being a great example)

now i gather the wii u has maybe not been the big success nintendo were hoping for, our ASDA stores no longer display the wii u and even though it's dropped in price at around £300 it's still seems alot of money for a console which may have a short life span.

whenever i buy anything expensive i'll look into it first and so was wondering if anyone here either owns a wii u or knows someone who does and what their general feeling either good or bad was towards the console

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My best friend does, and while I'm still a fan of the Playstation or Xbox, the Wii U is a nifty gadget. The touch pad/tablet controller has some cool uses in the Mario games for the Wii, and I've also seen it put to use in Scribblenaughts, ZombieU, and Lego City, and generally speaking, it's pretty cool. For example, in Scribblenaughts, it makes designing creatures and stuff easier, and typing a lot quicker when you don't need to scroll through the whole keyboard. In Lego City, it was used primarily as a hidden item detector of sorts, and ZombieU it was used as a flashlight type thing or, in multiplayer, to place zombies on the field for the other player to kill (or get eaten by).

It does graphics fairly well, though I've not seen it handle games like Mass Effect 3 or Tomb Raider (both of which are on the system) but the games I have seen in action looked pretty good. 300 Euros does seem a bit expensive, but I'm not sure of the price conversion, so I can't comment too much further. :p

If you can try the system out for a while at a friend's house or something first, definitely do that. And also, you're right about it not being successful, at least not as much as the GameCube or even the Wii. But based on the 2DS they just revealed, Nintendo consoles might soon be relics sought after by creators. :p

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aztek463 said:
300 Euros does seem a bit expensive, but I'm not sure of the price conversion, so I can't comment too much further.

I just checked. 300 pounds, the Euro sign is a C with two horizontal lines through it, converts to 464.85 US dollars as of today. That is really expensive. And if that's after dropping in price somewhat I'd hate to see how much they were originally asking for it.

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
that's the 32gb version, it also comes with one game. game satation offer it at around £190 though this i believe will be the 8gb version and without a game.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have one. I am a masochistic videogame collector/enthusiast. I like it, but it just plain needs more exclusive games.
Games like Mario, Zelda, Monster Hunter, and Scribblenauts are solid games that cant be played on other systems. Everything else for the most part is a weaksauce port of a version that plays better on PS3/Xbox. Online multiplayer is a cruel joke on the WiiU and are either dead zones w/ few players and no post launch DLC support [Black Ops 2] or plagued with abysmal netcode/connection issues [splinter cell blacklist]. The ONLY thing WiiU gets right IMO is MiiVerse which is a dedicated nintendo based social network.

I dont regret buying one, but I rarely use it. Unless you are a huge nintendo-exclusive fan I say pass or wait until its dirt cheap. At the rate Ninty is going they'll run it into the ground in less than a year. Once PS4 comes out its completely game over for WiiU unless drastic steps are taken but I doubt they will be able to compete after Nov 15th unless its first party.

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks elbarto1 i think i'll give it a year and see if it drops in price (around £150 - 200) at the moment i'm playing dead island on my pc,i've got a xbox controller connected and decent graphic card so this will keep me entertained.

B

BioHuntix

I hate to not side with Nintendo, but maybe it would be a better idea for you to go with one of the other two, you don't really need WiiU for the kind of gaming experiences you described, especially if you go hunting for games on the PlaystationStore or XBoxLiveArcade.

The Wii was a mega success at it's conceiving, what is in store for the WiiU I really have no clue, maybe it will just get by like the GameCube did. But who knows, I would think that with last generations success Nintendo would have the capitol to turn this around, but not many are speaking of the possibilitys of the WiiU.

Am I the only one that would buy a WiiU if it could play gamecube games, just so I could have a gamecube with HD cables? : D

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really hoped the Wii U would blow everyone's minds. The Wii was an amazing console, and despite lack of HD it blew both Xbox 360 and PS3 out of the water for me. Not just Mario, Zelda, sports games and NES games, but it was a really great console for some games where a remote was perfect - e.g. it was by far the best way of playing World of Goo (at least until the iPad and Android ports), and even non-traditional Nintendo games that were great because they took the console seriously, like PES (quickly pointing the remote upward to set off an offside trap - GENIUS!).

I'm sad to see Nintendo's dominance in creativity go. I've never had the romantic attachment to my PS3, the kind where I smile and think THIS IS WEIRD AND BRILLIANT AND I LOVE IT.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't have a Wii U yet, but after playing some games with my friend on his, I'm convinced enough to get one soon for the Christmas season. Plus, Super Mario 3D World looks awesome!

Top Bottom