• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Goodbye, My Friend

seciors

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
On Monday, 8/19/13, I will need to have my cat, whom I have had for over 16 years, put down. I so much wished that she could die in her sleep, but it just isn't going to happen, as apparently she has cancer that is spreading, and she is in pain.

She can't hardly eat because the bone on one side of her mouth has a sore that isn't healing after 1+ month of treatment, and the bone on that side is starting to grow (due to cancer, says my vet). She dropped from 5.5lbs to 4.5 lbs in a month; for the last week I've stayed home and fed her round the clock...I got her back up to almost 5 lbs but then I noticed the aforementioned growth. My vet said it is time for her now, and it is the best thing for her, so she doesn't end up suffering even more, as there is nothing that can help her get better, and things will only get worse.

I have her on pain meds 3x day now, and on Monday the vet will come to my home to do it. I've never done this before (my other cat died in her sleep).

I keep telling myself this is the best thing for her, and I know she has had a good life with me. This all just happened so quickly (she was fine just two months ago)...I'm just really sad, and I'm really going to miss her. :-(

That alway hurts.
The family cat died at 17 yo when I was myself just like 14 or 15 (so she was with me since I was born)
One day dad put her in a case and told me she needed to go to the vet. I still don't know if he knew she was going to be put down or not (I think he knew that there would be no good other alternative). In the evening he came back and told us the cat died, and that's one of the 3 times I saw my father crying.
We never took an other animal (it's of course not an advice, just what we did. Or did not in this case).

16 years is a good lifetime for a cat. I'm sure it was great for her to live that long with you.

I'm sorry to hear your woes, seciors. :sad: It's a sad situation to be in, but at least you know for sure that you're doing the right thing. If at all possible, have someone with you on 19 August. We're all here for you if you need support afterwards.

Sorry to hear that bro. Hopefully she finds peace in Kitty Heaven.

*Pours a 40 out for my fallen brethren*

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

One thing I'm making sure to do is to tell my 3 kids tonight about it, so they will know and be able to say goodbye to her; they are 7, 10, and 13. They all leave tomorrow on an annual week long vacation they usually take with my wife's side of the family (I usually use the time for quiet since her side of the family can get on my nerves, but in this case, if I'm up to it, I will try and join them after the event, so as not to be alone for too many days.)

I also felt strongly to have it done at home, to not stress my cat out (she gets really stressed and upset when going to the vet). So that's why I had to wait until Monday, to schedule the thing.

I hope I'm doing the right thing; the vet is telling me I am, and on some level intellectually it makes sense. I know this is an issue that some people have very strong viewpoints on, and I respect both sides. Again, I wish I could let her die naturally, but I just don't know if letting her waste away and die from cancer all over her body and in pain is right. I don't think there is one right answer. But I do know that in my heart I'm trying to do the right thing, and I want to give her peace and as much comfort as possible during her last days.

Again, thanks for being here for me.

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY DOING THE RIGHT THING!

Aww sucks to hear that man, take solace in the fact that you are doing the best thing possible for him/her in the situation. Unfortunately that's the price you pay for loving an animal that much is that you are the one who has to make the hard decisions at the end. You may not feel very heartened now but give it a few years and you will be able to feel very proud that you did the right thing.

Losing a pet is damn hard and it literally kills me everytime one of mine goes the way of the rainbow.

I'm sorry, seciors. :( Cats truly are the best of friends. I love my cat, Misiu, more than my human relatives. I hope your cat finds peace. I'll be praying for her.

Always distressing to lose a member of the family team.
Sixteen years is a wonderful run, and you must have great memories.
Pets run out of gas, though, just like people.
My feeling (and I have been in your situation) is you are doing the right thing, especially if pain is involved.

you guys are all awesome.

I didn't want to say her name since I didn't want to attract any jokes (people on this forum are old enough to know the origin of the name, and I know a joke wouldn't be meant to offend, but I'm not in the mood for them, as you can understand), but I think it would be nice to use her name when talking about her, which is Toonces. (yes, the driving cat. for those who don't know the reference, it's from one of my favorite SNL sketches from the 80s. "Toonces, the cat who could drive a car...just not very well!")

She was a great cat. I got her from a shelter in New York City with her sister (Susie, who died a few years ago). If there is anything after this life, at least they will be together again.

Here's a couple pictures of her when she was much younger and healthier:
Toonces2_zpsfeece963.png

Toonces1_zps4c6eed4d.png

I'm also going to add an In Memoriam mention at the very end of my Episode I edit (after all the credits, so no one needs to see it...it will just be there, mostly for myself to know.), whenever it gets released.

no jokes here dude, but seriously, Elvis Duran made reference to Toonces this morning on the radio show.
so the universe IS looking out for her.
i've always taken comfort in thinking there is a relationship between how hurt you feel with how much you loved your animal family. the people who don't get it don't get it. but i think everyone here does.
good on you man, and know my thoughts are with you.

Putting a pet down when he/she is in terrible pain is the only thing you can do for them. We did that for our eight-year-old dog several years ago. It was hard to do but it was the right choice, and doing it at home with her favorite blanket and her favorite toy was hopefully a small comfort for her.

Best wishes.

I really don't mean to be snarky or confrontational, but I've honestly never heard it argued that pets shouldn't be euthanized when the time comes. You are indeed doing the right thing. My condolences on your grief.

when you can no longer cure, you can at least provide comfort/alleviate pain.
you're doing the right thing, man.
raising my glass to you and your cat.

:-( Sorry man. It never gets any easier for me losing pets over the years. Always heart wrenching. Hang in there.

She has now passed on, hopefully to a better place. It was a hard experience; very hard. But now she will no longer feel anymore pain. I wish she could still be here with me, but I know I had to do this, and it was for the best. Thanks again for everyone's kind words and moral support.

Toonces
1996 - 2013
May you rest in peace.

This seems like an appropriate place to post.

Yesterday, I had to put one of my best friends to rest. Cancer snuck up on her pretty quickly, and before I knew it, she was gone. I was not ready for this. This cat showed up out of nowhere while I was working in the middle of Florida swamps 12 years ago. She's been a big part of my life ever since, and my house seems so empty without her.

I miss you, Jitters.

11958244_10207849783711450_4779796596263530301_o_zpsy44voyhd.jpg

My condolences for your loss.

May the cat gods carry her gently across the Milky Way.

Back
Top Bottom