• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Importing Problems

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In much need of help. I'm using Movie Studio 12 and have been experiencing major problems opening the files I've ripped. I've used Boon's guide, followed all the steps - seemingly successfully - but there's something going wrong once it enters Movie Studio. The full film doesn't import, normally only about an hour an ten, and even then the footage I have goes out of sync and other oddness. Totally unusable. It's been like this with several films I've tried to import. Any advice would be appreciated.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Please provide more info. Post your exact steps.

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Please provide more info.Post your exact steps.

-DVD ripped with DVDFab.
-VOBs converted into one with DVD Shrink.

With my T3 edit I was super lazy. I didn't want tochange much, and just wanted to play with editing, so I simplychanged the file extension to mp4 and had a fiddle. Worked fine forthis, but nothing else. I consulted Boon's guide and downloaded allthe necessary software and continued as follows:

-Demuxed VOB with pgcdemux
-Converted audio with headac3he
-Created lagarith avi with Virtualdub, adding inthe audio as advised. Followed the guide to the letter.

With both the lazy method and the more thoroughone I've had the same problem once the files enter Movie Studio.Gonna start from scratch again to see if I just screwed something up,but I'm not sure where I would have.

RollWave

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
your first step is to isolate the problem. all you've provided so far is that the beginning (dvd) is fine, and the ending (inside movie studio) is bad. You should verify all the intermediate steps to isolate exactly where its going wrong.

I recommend downloading a free utility "Mediainfo". Open your mediainfo window, then after each step in your process, drag your file onto the mediainfo gui and you'll get all the details of that file - format, framerate, duration, aspect ratio, all kinds of stuff. So compare your before/after results on each step and note what has changed.

Another step is to actually play the files each step. VLC media player should play all your audio and video files throughout the process. After muxing, try playing both resulting files. You don't have to watch the whole thing, just make sure it looks right for a few seconds at the beginning, middle, and end, and that all seems normal with the duration, framerate, aspect ratio, etc. After converting to lagarith, try playing your avi and again note any peculiarities.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Why are you combining the vobs into one?

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just wanna say thanks first for your responses.

TV's Frink said:
Why are you combining the
vobs into one?

I did for the sake of an easy convert to mp4. I didn't do it when I ran through all the steps of boon's guide.

RollWave said:
your first step is to isolate the problem. all you've provided so far is that the beginning (dvd) is fine, and the ending (inside movie studio) is bad. You should verify all the intermediate steps to isolate exactly where its going wrong.

I recommend downloading a free utility "Mediainfo".
Open your mediainfo window, then after each step in your process, drag your file onto the mediainfo gui and you'll get all the details
of that file - format, framerate, duration, aspect ratio, all kinds of stuff. So compare your before/after results on each step and note
what has changed.

Another step is to actually play the files each step. VLC media player should play all your audio and video files throughout the process. After muxing, try playing both resulting files. You don't have to watch the whole thing, just make sure it looks right for a few seconds at the beginning, middle, and end, and that all seems normal with the duration, framerate, aspect ratio, etc. After converting to lagarith, try playing your avi and again note any peculiarities.

From what I can tell the ending is the problem. All of the rips and conversions seem to have worked fine, and it's only when they land in Movie Studio that I encounter problems. I've gone through the process again just now and am fairing no better. For what it's worth, the audio files that came from headac3he import fine (although only as a single audio track which is disappointing).

Hmm... looking back over the files in VLC, while they do play fine at every stage, the timer doesn't seem to be correct. The VOBs for the film seem to indicate the correct end time, while the deleted scenes only clock in at 41 seconds total (I assume the length of the first clip). Later the m2v file doesn't list an end-point at all, just 00:00. It still plays fine however. Could this indicate a problem from the initial rip?

Frustrating...

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
(I have no idea what is going on the with formatting of my posts btw, and I can't edit.)

-FIXED

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What does the headache program do again?

Does your lagarith video look correct in virtualdub?

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
headac3he converts the audio from ac3 to wav. Not sure it's essential, but I've tried using and not using it already lol

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can only advise as far as what works for me...take your ac3 file that you get from pgcdemux, and split it to six mono wavs using either besweet or eac3to. Do the lagarith avi without sound.

Again, does your lagarith avi look right in virtualdub?

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah it does. I will run through it again and try your method on the ac3's. Cheers again.

The Fiery Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are you using an MP4 file or an AVI file

MP4 needs a codec to be able to run on Vegas, Quicktime does this perfectly.

As for AVI it is more difficult because AVI is a container file.

I recomend downloading K Lite Codec Pack for this problem, This makes Both MP4 and all AVI's run well.

wayne.workman2012

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My steps (not perfect but audio is synced) is to decrypt with dvd decrypter, and then take those files and use them as the source in handbrake to then produce a single file that I then import into whatever editor.

Not a perfect method, but it works.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Joining VOBs seems to send things a little crazy in my experience. You get all kinds of different lengths from your joined movie in my experience. I avoid it.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
arctofire said:
Are you using an MP4 file or an AVI file

MP4 needs a codec to be able to run on Vegas, Quicktime does this perfectly.

As for AVI it is more difficult because AVI is a container file.

I recomend downloading K Lite Codec Pack for this problem, This makes Both MP4 and all AVI's run well.

Who was this in response to?

If it was the post above you, it was from August.

HanShotFirst

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use MakeMKV to (You may have guessed) make a MKV file of the film from dvd or usually Blu-ray in my case. Import the MKV into Virtualdub with avs script file. Set Virtualdub compression to Lagarith Lossless Codex (Don't forget this set), and make the large avi file. I make my 5.1 soundtrack files with tsmuxer (to make the dts or ac3 file) and besweet (for ac3) or transcode (for dts) to make the 6 wav files for the soundtrack. I import all that into sony vegas, The wavs usually need to be resynced to the video unfortunately, but then I set a group to make sure i keep them synced once I've set them to the video. I also have sony vegas make a proxy for the avi so I don't get any lag in the preview window. I have not had my first edit approved yet by the academy (should be very soon, he hasn't had time to watch it just yet) but I can assure you the video and audio are great, and if you follow that tutorial carefully and make sure you don't skip anything you should be successful. Good luck.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lol "Virtualdud."

HanShotFirst

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was just having my own issue with audio and video sync, turned out the deleted scenes I was trying to import into Virtualdub were not at the same frame rate as the feature film, so I changed frame rate in the script and everything was ok. Maybe that could be your issue too, good luck.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Top Bottom