• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

Bobgarcia74

Reaction score
Trophy Points
star-wars-admiral-ackbar-its-a-cap.jpg

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, this is an appropriate response to that idea...

[youtube:2wtsismh]

JasonN

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For the record, I have never watched a single episode of The Clone Wars TV series. Now today I see this trailer for the Season 2 Finale:
[youtubewide:3hn1m0ev]

I can't help, but think a few thoughts:
1. A story about bounty hunters hunting down the Jedi Knights? Holy sh*t, sign me up! :)

2. Oh crap, they're bringing back Lil' Boba... and he still isn't wearing the helmet, either. :|

3."That would complicate things."
You think, Mace Windu??? :roll:

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not to over-sell it, but the Clone Wars cartoon is EVERYTHING that the PT was not. Season 1 was solid, I really enjoyed it, but Season 2 has been spectacular. They introduced bounty hunters at the season finale of Season 1, and they have gone back to them throughout season 2, as well as Mandelor. They dialed back on the cutesy aspect of Asoka, and she is now a fitting padawan for Anakin.

Also, they don't keep the same cast of characters every episode, they explore the main players of the council, they go on story lines with padawans (the zombie episodes were wonderful)

But the thing that really makes this show work is that they got Anakin right. He's not whiny, he's not petulant, he's not indecisive. He's a hero, he's someone you like, he's someone you root for. But every now and then, and with more frequency, and with darker and darker overtones you see how he pushes the envelope, how he has a mindset of the ends justifying the means.

If I had my way, they would remake E1-E3 purely as digital, let this writing team re-do the stories and use these character designs. These writers truly understand SW for what it could be and should be, and without GL's baggage.

I cannot recommend the show enough. Clone Wars almost deserve their own thread.. hrmmmmmm

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did not like the Clone Wars "movie" at all. But season 1 was pretty good. I even kind of liked the "Jedi Jar Jar" episode, and THAT is saying a lot...
Can't wait to see season 2.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another vote for CW. Skip the movie entirely...it stinks. And not every episode is great, but there are a lot that are. It's definitely worth your time to check it out. ...Provided the look of it doesn't bother you. The style puts some people off, but I really got to like it after a while.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
I did not like the Clone Wars "movie" at all. But season 1 was pretty good. I even kind of liked the "Jedi Jar Jar" episode, and THAT is saying a lot...
Can't wait to see season 2.

My reaction to the movie was 'Meh'. There were things I liked, thinks I hated (Zero the hut? WTF???????) and things I was indifferent to. But the series started solid and has simply gotten better every episode, and even the Jar Jar ones aren't bad. (the key was, he was an active participant, not just annoying 'comedy')

You'll love Season 2. I have a friend who works for LF and he told me before season 2 came out that the buzz around Lucasland was huge on Season 2. They know they have something good going on.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
These writers truly understand SW for what it could be and should be, and without GL's baggage.
I don't doubt that the series generally is much better written and directed than the PT, but I don't think I'll ever be able to really appreciate it, because it is weighed down with one of the worst pieces of GL baggage: that the Clone Wars were good clones versus bad droids.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!

Look, I can see why he did it. He didn't want to show Jedi cutting up people right and left, so he made the bad guys droids. Then he needed clones to make a "clone war", so he had no choice but to make the clones good.

But the Clone Wars should be good people vs. bad clones, if not good people and clones vs. bad clones. Apart from being totally unnecessary and uninvolving, the droids will always be too advanced to fit with the OT.

In short, even with the rumored live-action show, I'm not sure I'll ever really appreciate new SW canon again. The good clones vs. bad droids fiasco just makes my toes hurt too much. Maybe if they finally do an animated Shadows of the Empire or Thrawn trilogy, but that could be my only hope... :???:

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When season 1 aired I Tivo'd it. I watched about a minute before turning it off and deleting it. I couldn't get passed the VO in the opening. So stupid. The CG Clone Wars is terrible compared to the micro-episode Clone Wars series by Samurai Jack creator.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thunderclap said:
When season 1 aired I Tivo'd it. I watched about a minute before turning it off and deleting it. I couldn't get passed the VO in the opening. So stupid. The CG Clone Wars is terrible compared to the micro-episode Clone Wars series by Samurai Jack creator.
tc, I had the exact same reaction. I think I watched the entire first episode but that was it.

I decided to give it a second chance, based on good reviews like the ones here. I've watched the first 10 episodes so far, and I will say it does seem to get better as it goes along.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
In short, even with the rumored live-action show, I'm not sure I'll ever really appreciate new SW canon again. The good clones vs. bad droids fiasco just makes my toes hurt too much.
Well the live series is suposed to be set between EP3 and EP4 (with pretty much none of the known Star Wars characters).
So the clones will be be "post order 66 clones", and maybe they will be progressively replaced by stormtroopers, as the series goes.

Ziz

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
thunderclap said:
tc, I had the exact same reaction. I think I watched the entire first episode but that was it.

I decided to give it a second chance, based on good reviews like the ones here. I've watched the first 10 episodes so far, and I will say it does seem to get better as it goes along.

S1 does get progressively better, but that happens to a lot of TV series. Each modern incarnation of Star Trek - TNG, DS9 and VOY - took almost two seasons to find their groove. With CW it was even harder because, being on Cartoon Network, they had stricter standards to follow with language and violence. Filoni has admitted as much, that they were still feeling things out in the first season to see how far they could push things before some suit complained.

One thing I did notice is that I think this past week's episode was a leftover from the beginning of S1, or maybe even the film. There was a bit at the end where Anakin was bragging to Yularen about how his (Anakin's) methods may be unorthodox but he gets the job done (or words to that effect) and Yularen said something to the effect of "I'll have to keep an eye on you". Clearly, the characters weren't familiar with each other yet. There was also no mention of Ahsoka, and even the battle droids voices were a little different than they have been all this time, closer to the films. Filter in production issues and network tendencies to want "mix-n-match" episodes that they can show in any order they feel like and it makes you start to wonder what order these episodes should be in compared to the airdate order. Changing that order will affect how the viewer interprets the series quality as a whole.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It wasn't a holdover...The series is intentionally out of order in places. That episode was set before season 1's 'Hidden Enemy', which in turn was set before the film.

Telling stories from all over the run of the war lets them do anything they want without having to worry about 'keeping it for next year'.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Well the live series is suposed to be set between EP3 and EP4 (with pretty much none of the known Star Wars characters).
So the clones will be be "post order 66 clones", and maybe they will be progressively replaced by stormtroopers, as the series goes.
The live action series may indeed be close enough to the OT era/style to be watchable, but I'm certainly not holding my breath. :wink:

thunderclap said:
I couldn't get passed the VO in the opening. So stupid.
That's probably my favorite part of the show! :)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
never saw the cgi CW show, I hated the film so much I assumed the show would follow the same model.
I loved the clone wars cartoon from a few years back as it felt right and had balls, but the cgi film was terrible.
I'll give it a go on netflix per your recommendations.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting article.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/04/19...d-series-will-be-a-return-of-the-jedi-sequel/

I've long wondered what tweaks Lucas will do with the BD versions, since nothing is ever locked in stone.

I would not be surprised if we see:

CG Yoda in E1 (I think most of us noticed the CG Yoda in the Council scene)
New exterior shots of Coruscant throughout E1 (E2 and E3 Courscant are far more dense and 'realistic' looking, less like matte work)

In general, I would not be surprised if all of the CG was updated throughout. Despite the undertaking, all 3 movies already look dated, particularly E1 and the battle portions of E2, and would benefit from the latest technology/computing power. But GL might save that for future special editions, because well, we'll buy them.

I'm mildly curious about the post E6 animated idea. It could be awesome as long as Lucas lets the team behind Clone Wars at get it off the ground.

But as a fan-editor, it's the line about additional footage that caught my eye.

Top Bottom