• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I still like TROS but I'm willing to admit there are a bunch of problems with it, so I'm sure it's my least favorite of the ST and probably ultimately settles in the ROTJ range for me, which means still good, and still way better than any PT movie, but below everything else.

ANH
ESB
TLJ
R1
TFA
Solo
TROS
ROTJ
TPM
ROTS
AOTC

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looking over the Disney era SW output, we have...

- 34 years after the OT: TFA
- A few years before the OT: Rebels
- Immediately before the OT: R1
- 30ish years after the OT: Resistance
- 34 years after the OT: TLJ
- Some time before the OT: Solo
- 30ish years after the OT: Galaxy's Edge
- 5 years after the OT: Mandalorian
- 35 years after the OT: TRoS
(Not to mention Battlefront II, immediately after the OT, and Jedi: Fallen Order, some time before the OT.)

And, coming up, we've got:
- 20ish years before the OT: Clone Wars final season
- Some time before the OT: Obi-Wan's series
- Some time before the OT: Cassian Andor's series

The common thread? Apart from the total lack of anything far removed from the OT era (say, The Old Republic, though that might figure into the upcoming future movies announcement), we've gotten sod-all (that's not comics or books) set during the OT itself. Are those years considered a "last resort" time, to be explored only when the franchise is on its last legs? Because I imagine a lot of fans would love to see (at the very least) some high-quality animated adventures of Luke, Leia, Han, and Lando between the two Death Stars...

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Apart from the total lack of anything far removed from the OT era (say, The Old Republic, though that might figure into the upcoming future movies announcement), we've gotten sod-all (that's not comics or books) set during the OT itself. Are those years considered a "last resort" time, to be explored only when the franchise is on its last legs? Because I imagine a lot of fans would love to see (at the very least) some high-quality animated adventures of Luke, Leia, Han, and Lando between the two Death Stars...

The first Marvel comic series after Disney bought Star Wars was set between ANH and ESB and the current Marvel comic series is set between ESB and ROTJ.

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Looking over the Disney era SW output, we have...

- 34 years after the OT: TFA
- A few years before the OT: Rebels
- Immediately before the OT: R1
- 30ish years after the OT: Resistance
- 34 years after the OT: TLJ
- Some time before the OT: Solo
- 30ish years after the OT: Galaxy's Edge
- 5 years after the OT: Mandalorian
- 35 years after the OT: TRoS
(Not to mention Battlefront II, immediately after the OT, and Jedi: Fallen Order, some time before the OT.)

And, coming up, we've got:
- 20ish years before the OT: Clone Wars final season
- Some time before the OT: Obi-Wan's series
- Some time before the OT: Cassian Andor's series

The common thread? Apart from the total lack of anything far removed from the OT era (say, The Old Republic, though that might figure into the upcoming future movies announcement), we've gotten sod-all (that's not comics or books) set during the OT itself. Are those years considered a "last resort" time, to be explored only when the franchise is on its last legs? Because I imagine a lot of fans would love to see (at the very least) some high-quality animated adventures of Luke, Leia, Han, and Lando between the two Death Stars...

Shadows of the Empire tv show, eh? eh?

Personally I'd adore a series of animated Legends adaptations taking place between RotJ and the time period of the new movies/NJO (depending on the timeline).

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m on record as not having much interest for the non-movie SW content. After the Zahn trilogy, which many fans felt was the best, I decided it just wasn’t for me. I did, however, enjoy The Mandalorian first season, though it felt more serialized than I had hoped.

So with my obvious lack of knowledge acknowledged, I’d have to guess that simultaneously developing major properties that could potentially conflict with the stories being told in the tent pole trilogy was likely a big reason to avoid that time period. Now that the ST is done, such that it is, I’d imagine the desire to capitalize on OT time period would be there.

Though, I hope not. I hope they just leave it alone, personally. If they’re going to tell stories during that time, they should do it R1 style. Sure you can have Vader make an appearance, but don’t cast young Luke, Han, and Leia. Give us new characters and new settings. And please, for the love of god, we don’t need random cameos from every extra that was in the background of OT!

no452

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Siliconmaster said:
Shadows of the Empire tv show, eh? eh?

I would absolutely love that, but
asterixsmeagol said:
makes me think that is not very likely. The timeframe is not that wide and they are obviously filling it with a completely different story.

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah, good point. Still, something along those lines in later time periods would also be fun. I don't think they should ever try to recast the original trio in New Republic era stuff. Voice acting though could be viable for an animated series of some sort.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
The first Marvel comic series after Disney bought Star Wars was set between ANH and ESB and the current Marvel comic series is set between ESB and ROTJ.

As I said, books and comics are the exception. This suggests either A) Lucasfilm is so sure they'll never revisit the OT era onscreen they're fine with these minor works filling in the canon, or B) they're not too concerned about having to either adapt/rehash or even rewrite some of this minor content if and when they do.

Siliconmaster said:
Ah, good point. Still, something along those lines in later time periods would also be fun. I don't think they should ever try to recast the original trio in New Republic era stuff. Voice acting though could be viable for an animated series of some sort.

*pushes up glasses* For what it's worth, Rebels once featured a teenage Leia not voiced by Carrie Fisher.

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
*pushes up glasses* For what it's worth, Rebels once featured a teenage Leia not voiced by Carrie Fisher.

Yeah, and that worked great for me. I just want to avoid any additional Solo-like recasts, especially if the story takes place close enough to the OT that you can't go with the "well they're younger" excuse. Sound-alike voice actors in animation? Totally down for that.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm told that the new Obi Wan show might feature Luke. I don't know if I'm fine with this. As much as I love Solo, I can't picture any of the other main characters being recast with younger actors.

Yes, I'm talking about not wanting characters recast with younger actors in regards to a future show featuring the recast younger version of a main character as the protagonist. This is fine, because Ewan McGregor is perfect.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As long as it's a prepubescent Luke I'm fine with it.  If they try to make him 15 or something than I just find it unnecessary.

DonKamillo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Speaking of prepubescent...

Existence of Tatooine confirmed:
NASA Discovery Alert! High School Student Finds a World With Two Suns

2082_Kepler-16b_1200_preview.jpg

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel like I remember hearing about that years ago

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
I'm told that the new Obi Wan show might feature Luke. I don't know if I'm fine with this. As much as I love Solo, I can't picture any of the other main characters being recast with younger actors.

I imagine that he'll be a very young version of Luke, like in this fan film:

On an unrelated note, I just found out that the voice actor for George Lucas in this skit is actually George Lucas:

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would be ok with this IF Luke is like 12 or under. OT Luke is 19 in ANH, so unless this show is right on the heels of ANH, we'd presumably get half-aged Luke. And I can easily accept a literal kid version of him, who would look more radically different from OT Luke than Solo characters look compared to their OT counterparts.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
matrixgrindhouse said:
So, question for some of the more die hard fans.  I was really blown away by The Mandalorian.  Understanding that it has a lot of connections to the various animated series, I'm curious about giving The Clone Wars a second chance.  The 2008 theatrical release was one of the most miserable movie-going experiences of my life, so it soured me on Star Wars animation for a long time.  I've heard great things over the years, so I figure maybe it's worth a second look.  I watched the first episode recommended by this official chronological order and, well...

To put it as delicately as possible - when does the show get good?

FULL EDIT: @"matrixgrindhouse" Google “Clone Wars Modified Chronological Order” which goes mostly chronological but with a focus on arc flow and watching the best episodes (skipping all the boring filler eps.) so some episodes are shuffled for arc flow. Mortis was moved up for HelloGreedo because he wanted to watch it before The Last Jedi, you can keep it or move it wherever you like the arc is pretty standalone.

I also recommend you skip the first arc “Ahsoka Arrives: The Battle of Christophis” as they are not good and ends with the terrible movie version. Just start with “Domino Squad”.

Season 1’s only worthwhile arcs are Malevolence and Ryloth (and retroactively Domino Squad because of the great S3 Domino Squad prequel episodes that pair with “Rookies” from S1). The modified order supports this.

I had trouble finding it at first, so in case anyone does, here's the list from HelloGreedo's Twitter feed.

For what it's worth, I recommend "The Hidden Enemy" (Season 1, Episode 16), an intriguing mystery that deals with some ethical issues rarely discussed in the saga, and "Ambush" (Season 1, Episode 1), a fun Yoda-centric episode.

I personally found the Domino Squad episodes boring (although they may be important for later; I don't know), and it looks like this list mercifully skips the Jar-Jar episodes from Season 1.

I haven't gotten very far in this series, and I may use this list to a certain degree. When I've asked before about such a list, all the fans (who are very nice) just kept insisting that one had to watch the whole series. But from what I've seen, there's a lot of un-essential stuff, especially early on. So it's nice that people are finally open to the notion of a "best of" list. Thank for sharing, Mas!

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I did, however, enjoy The Mandalorian first season, though it felt more serialized than I had hoped.

That's surprising. Most folks didn't like the fact that it was so episodic! But, anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it. So did I!

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, a lot of people have done revised lists, so here's my ranking of Star Wars at the moment:

Empire
ANH
RotJ
R1
Mandalorian (TV)
Clone Wars '03
Solo
Rise of Skywalker
TFA
TLJ
RotS
TPM
AotC
Clone Wars theatrical movie
Holiday Special

These are Star Wars things I've seen in their entirety. I haven't seen enough of the '08 CW series or of Rebels (or any of Resistance) to include them.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
I did, however, enjoy The Mandalorian first season, though it felt more serialized than I had hoped.

That's surprising. Most folks didn't like the fact that it was so episodic! But, anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it. So did I!

I think you misread the bit you quoted. I liked it despite it being more serialized—episodic—than I’d hoped.

Top Bottom