• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
The only way for Star Wars to be successful moving forward, IMO, is to tell good stories in this universe that don’t rely on the OT. Scratch that, it can and should rely on the OT style of storytelling. Simple characters and broad themes. But those have to progress.

Agreed wholeheartedly. One of the reasons I love The Mandalorian so much is that it feels like the old EU stories to me in two ways, and differs in one:

-Uses the post-OT galaxy as a setpiece, not a focus
-Nails the mix of seriousness and humor that the OT does so well

-Differs in that, as you pointed out, it has a great character arc and some nice themes supporting it

If they keep this up they may have found their way back to Good Star Wars.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I think there’s plenty of Star Wars fans that would be content with EU style adventures, but I don’t think there’s enough to sustain the sort of tent pole movie LFL needs to make.

I like a lot of what you're saying, but gotta disagree here, and point to the MCU. Steve Rogers changes very little over the course of his appearances (mostly shifts in political alliances), Thor goes through a lot but remains mostly the same guy, and neither does Tony Stark really change much from the end of IM1 to Endgame, though there's a through-line of feeling an obligation to save the world that develops over the course of several films and stories. So I do think a more gradual, subtler arc for the OT heroes could have worked for big screen audiences, had the producers and actors been willing and able to invest that much time.

While I don't love what the ST did to Luke, now that it's done, I do think it's one of the trilogy's stronger points. I think TLJ took seriously the ramifications of what TFA established in its backstory, and as much as Abrams zigged back some of Johnson's zags, I think the Luke we got in TRoS is indeed the calmer, more enlightened one from the end of TLJ. So... some points for the ST there, I guess. :)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
I think there’s plenty of Star Wars fans that would be content with EU style adventures, but I don’t think there’s enough to sustain the sort of tent pole movie LFL needs to make.

I like a lot of what you're saying, but gotta disagree here, and point to the MCU. Steve Rogers changes very little over the course of his appearances (mostly shifts in political alliances), Thor goes through a lot but remains mostly the same guy, and neither does Tony Stark really change much from the end of IM1 to Endgame, though there's a through-line of feeling an obligation to save the world that develops over the course of several films and stories. So I do think a more gradual, subtler arc for the OT heroes could have worked for big screen audiences, had the producers and actors been willing and able to invest that much time.

While I don't love what the ST did to Luke, now that it's done, I do think it's one of the trilogy's stronger points. I think TLJ took seriously the ramifications of what TFA established in its backstory, and as much as Abrams zigged back some of Johnson's zags, I think the Luke we got in TRoS is indeed the calmer, more enlightened one from the end of TLJ. So... some points for the ST there, I guess. :)

Okay, well I guess I have to admit you have a point that big money can be made telling terrible stories like the MCU. :p

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Gaith said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

Okay, well I guess I have to admit you have a point that big money can be made telling terrible stories like the MCU. :p

What do you mean the MCU tells terible stories?

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Well, I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong, and what good would that do? ;) :p

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
^ Well, I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong, and what good would that do? ;) :p

Well they tell the same simple story over and over, movie after movie with little to no character arc and rely on the charisma of a few leading actors and whizbang CGI third acts to excite the kids. I mean what could I possibly find terible (sic) about that!?

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, question for some of the more die hard fans.  I was really blown away by The Mandalorian.  Understanding that it has a lot of connections to the various animated series, I'm curious about giving The Clone Wars a second chance.  The 2008 theatrical release was one of the most miserable movie-going experiences of my life, so it soured me on Star Wars animation for a long time.  I've heard great things over the years, so I figure maybe it's worth a second look.  I watched the first episode recommended by this official chronological order and, well...

To put it as delicately as possible - when does the show get good?

macmilln

Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
So, question for some of the more die hard fans.  I was really blown away by The Mandalorian.  Understanding that it has a lot of connections to the various animated series, I'm curious about giving The Clone Wars a second chance.  The 2008 theatrical release was one of the most miserable movie-going experiences of my life, so it soured me on Star Wars animation for a long time.  I've heard great things over the years, so I figure maybe it's worth a second look.  I watched the first episode recommended by this official chronological order and, well...

Cat and Mouse is not a very good episode. That whole string/storyline of episodes is not a good introduction to the show, in my opinion.

The show pretty much get better and better as the seasons go on - I think the risk of cancellation was causing them to work their asses off... Which is also why I think Rebels doesn't hold a candle to this show because they just don't have the same "pressure" on them, which shows with the writing, and lack of focus + clear tone that show has. I'm curious to see how the new Disney+ season will be, as there won't be that "pressure" coming from cancellation, but there certainly is some from the hype surrounding it.

This may be a "controversial" opinion, but I wouldn't recommend watching the show for the first time in the chronological way. It's one of those things that's "cool" to check out if you've seen/are familiar with the show, but not the way it was meant to be watched (like the Machete order, or watching the MCU chronologically). Even the first season, being the worst of them, is a better introduction to the series in my opinion (and certainly better than the "Cat and Mouse storyline").

But, there is a chance the show isn't for you, which I can totally understand - I didn't get why people liked this show for a long time, either. You can pretty much watch it in any order, so maybe even just Google "Best Clone Wars episodes" and try it out that way!

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
I stopped caring about people whining about the OT characters in the ST a long time ago.

c1aaf2da334d6b4be167f0119ed85d77.jpg

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
macmilln said:
The show pretty much get better and better as the seasons go on - I think the risk of cancellation was causing them to work their asses off... Which is also why I think Rebels doesn't hold a candle to this show because they just don't have the same "pressure" on them, which shows with the writing, and lack of focus + clear tone that show has. I'm curious to see how the new Disney+ season will be, as there won't be that "pressure" coming from cancellation, but there certainly is some from the hype surrounding it.

This may be a "controversial" opinion, but I wouldn't recommend watching the show for the first time in the chronological way. It's one of those things that's "cool" to check out if you've seen/are familiar with the show, but not the way it was meant to be watched (like the Machete order, or watching the MCU chronologically). Even the first season, being the worst of them, is a better introduction to the series in my opinion (and certainly better than the "Cat and Mouse storyline").

But, there is a chance the show isn't for you, which I can totally understand - I didn't get why people liked this show for a long time, either. You can pretty much watch it in any order, so maybe even just Google "Best Clone Wars episodes" and try it out that way!

I watched the show using that chronological guide and quite enjoyed it (though I'd say it gets good, truly good, after season 2).

And I adore Rebels :heart:

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:

You might want to try watching smudger9's Clone Wars movies, which cut out the filler to focus on the better elements of the series.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the advice, folks.  I'll dabble with a few more episodes while I'm still subscribed to Plus, see if anything strikes a chord with me.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was thinking of re-visiting the original THRAWN trilogy....

Was FATE OF THE JEDI the last of the LEGENDS titles?  Did it conclude the Skywalker Saga?  Or was there plans for another wrap up series???

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:

FULL EDIT: @"matrixgrindhouse" Google “Clone Wars Modified Chronological Order” which goes mostly chronological but with a focus on arc flow and watching the best episodes (skipping all the boring filler eps.) so some episodes are shuffled for arc flow. Mortis was moved up for HelloGreedo because he wanted to watch it before The Last Jedi, you can keep it or move it wherever you like the arc is pretty standalone.

I also recommend you skip the first arc “Ahsoka Arrives: The Battle of Christophis” as they are not good and ends with the terrible movie version. Just start with “Domino Squad”.

Season 1’s only worthwhile arcs are Malevolence and Ryloth (and retroactively Domino Squad because of the great S3 Domino Squad prequel episodes that pair with “Rookies” from S1). The modified order supports this.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:

Was FATE OF THE JEDI the last of the LEGENDS titles?  Did it conclude the Skywalker Saga?  Or was there plans for another wrap up series???

Fate of the Jedi is not the last of the Legends titles, as there is a book which takes place after it (Crucible) and a full comic-book series (Legacy). There were plans for a trilogy after Crucible (Sword of the Jedi), which could happen now that Disney has started publishing new Legends content outside of updates for the Old Republic (even if it was only 1 comic-book issue).

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:

As I mentioned (admittedly off-topic) in the Rise of Skywalker thread, I jumped ship after what I saw as the End of that timeline storytelling wise, The New Jedi Order series.

I read Dark Swarm and Legacy of the Force, but was unimpressed with both. At that point I assumed there was no reason to keep reading, and relatively soon thereafter heard there wouldn't be any more stories anyway. However, those who have read the later stuff, is it worth it? Is there any point in reading the end of a timeline visibly struggling with story ideas after a galaxy-spanning series like NJO?

wilhelm scream said:
Fate of the Jedi is not the last of the Legends titles, as there is a book which takes place after it (Crucible) and a full comic-book series (Legacy). There were plans for a trilogy after Crucible (Sword of the Jedi), which could happen now that Disney has started publishing new Legends content outside of updates for the Old Republic (even if it was only 1 comic-book issue).

I was under the impression the Legends timeline was dead in the water, but that does give me some hope.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
matrixgrindhouse said:

FULL EDIT: @"matrixgrindhouse" Google “Clone Wars Modified Chronological Order” which goes mostly chronological but with a focus on arc flow and watching the best episodes (skipping all the boring filler eps.) so some episodes are shuffled for arc flow. Mortis was moved up for HelloGreedo because he wanted to watch it before The Last Jedi, you can keep it or move it wherever you like the arc is pretty standalone.

I also recommend you skip the first arc “Ahsoka Arrives: The Battle of Christophis” as they are not good and ends with the terrible movie version. Just start with “Domino Squad”.

Season 1’s only worthwhile arcs are Malevolence and Ryloth (and retroactively Domino Squad because of the great S3 Domino Squad prequel episodes that pair with “Rookies” from S1). The modified order supports this.

Very interesting.  Thank you.

Top Bottom