• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, now I am angry with yahoo for putting what I think are spoilers in their titles to stories.  

One title says that  

(Spoiler Warning
a certain kiss is incest

Another talks about

(Spoiler Warning)
Abrams talking what Finn was going to say to someone, implying that something stopped him from from saying it, like maybe he was killed before he could say it.

Yet another talks about

(Spoiler Warning)
How the new movie erases the power of Rey's story.

If yahoo has spoiled something for me,  I am going to be real mad.

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
giphy.gif

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Future tip: Avoid all internets if you want zero spoilings.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
One would think you wouldn't have to avoid the main page of yahoo in order to avoid spoilers.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Those are hardly spoilers. Just (try to) enjoy the movie. :)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warbler said:
One would think you wouldn't have to avoid the main page of yahoo in order to avoid spoilers.

Not in 2019.

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Most of those changes are a surprising improvement on the 2011 blu rays. The colors are (aside from that cloud city shot) better, and the compositing definitely looks nicer. Heck, if I didn't know there were changes preventing me from enjoying them (the added Nooo at the end of RotJ, for one) I might actually feel moved to watch the new transfers on Disney+ after seeing these comparisons.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As I've said elsewhere, until they give us the original versions in acceptable quality, it will never stop being infuriating every time they touch it.
giphy.gif

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
On a much more positive note: Adywan released the completed (video-wise anyway) first 13 minutes of ANH: RHD 

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kabuki Star Wars!!! The crawl starts at about 13 mins in (shame there are no English subs):

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
“I know I can do it,” Duragizer said, helping himself to another glass of blue milk from the ice-cold pitcher. “I’m sure that in time, every memory of the PT & ST will be gone. And their existence will be a mystery even to me.”

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
J.J.Abrahms really knows how to mix that Star Wars secret sauce like nobody else (even Lucas) so the tone and the feels were spot on again for me. Sadly the script, or more importantly the plotting is a (sometimes needlessly) convoluted mess with too many characters (even if they are characters I liked). Partly this is the fault of the last film because it threw out all the potential from 'The Force Awakens' and replaced it with nothing, so this third film effectively has to start again from scratch and finish off the trilogy at the same time. If only Disney had been patient enough to wait for J.J. to be available to direct all three films, I think we'd have had a great run of films. I got goosebumps in a few moments and shared a genuine fist pump in the air with a fellow viewer when a certain grumpy Scotsman made a cameo. At a certain point I stopped even trying to work out the justifications and logic of the events and just enjoyed the spectacle and drama. Of the nine films in this "saga", I'd place it at number 5, a good distance back from TFA but a mile ahead of TLJ and a light year ahead of the prequels. I'm looking forward to seeing it a second time but I know some of the plot contrivances may grate more on closer inspection.

In fanediting terms at least this time we've got a film that just needs a bit of streamlining and adjustment, rather than something so tonally wrong it's hard to get your head round how to fix it (like the last film). Take out characters dying but then not dying, references to plot elements that aren't resolved, hopefully add some deleted dialogue scenes etc and you'd have something I can happily enjoy. I'd be curious to see how short you could get an edit of TLJ if you only retained the material important to bridge the two J.J. films?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess I'll never understand why people hate TLJ so much, especially people I really like.

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alright, after much deliberation, I've figured out my current rankings for the films in the franchise, both theatrical releases and fanedit potential.

Theatrical releases:
  1. Star Wars/A New Hope
  2. The Last Jedi
  3. Empire Strikes Back
  4. Return of the Jedi
  5. Revenge of the Sith
  6. 2D Clone Wars Miniseries
  7. The Rise of Skywalker
  8. Solo
  9. The Phantom Menace
  10. Rogue One
  11. The Force Awaken
  12. CGI Clone Wars Movie
  13. Attack of the Clones
  14. Holiday Special
Fanediting potential:
  1. Star Wars/A New Hope
  2. The Last Jedi
  3. Empire Strikes Back
  4. Revenge of the Sith/Dawn of the Empire
  5. Return of the Jedi Final Cut (Spence)
  6. 2D Clone Wars Miniseries
  7. Attack of the Clones
  8. The Force Awakens, Hybrid of DigiMod's and Hal's
  9. The Rise of Skywalker
  10. Solo
  11. The Phantom Menace
  12. Rogue One: The Battle of Scariff
  13. CGI Clone Wars Movie
  14. Holiday Special

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
I guess I'll never understand why people hate TLJ so much, especially people I really like.

I don't hate it, I love half of it (mostly all the Luke/Kylo/Rey stuff) but the bits I don't like, I really don't like and they are very hard to fix in a fanedit.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
TVs Frink said:

I don't hate it, I love half of it (mostly all the Luke/Kylo/Rey stuff) but the bits I don't like, I really don't like and they are very hard to fix in a fanedit.

Yeah I agree with this. I think it really comes down to whether you want Star Wars to just be a fun ride without anything deeper or if you want it to be about something new and different. I enjoyed TFA as a fun ride but felt it a bit overboard with the “faster, more intense” Starkiller. But I wished it was adding to the story rather than just telling it again with a new hero. But whatever. There were a lot of things that just didn’t work for me in TLJ but the ideas behind it were exactly what I was looking for. Something that added to story. But ultimately, whatever failings the individual movies had, the trilogy ultimately fails because of an inconsistent vision. I’d be fine with a trilogy that was all Abrams or all Johnson, but they clearly didn’t share the same vision for the trilogy. They are still way way better than the PT.

If I could fix it with broad strokes:

- no Starkiller
- no slow speed chase
- no Canto Bight
- no Palpatine
- no Palpatine heritage

There are a lot of smaller things such as streamlining the cast, eliminating humor that didn’t land, etc.

But ultimately, I’ve got fan edits of the first two that I’m happy with. We’ll see if that’s possible with the third installment. I think it would be the most challenging.

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think one reason why opinions are so divided on TLJ, is that different viewers focus on different things.

E.g. I love the inclusion of Canto Bight because of the world-building it does: the wealthy arms-dealers selling to both sides adds an interesting and credible layer to the Star Wars universe.

At the same time, I dislike how the plot resolves on Canto Bight. Unlikely situation follows improbable event, follows "Oh, wait, we need to add big-eyed animals that the viewers can empathize with".

It feels like the writers came up with a beautiful bit of world-building but couldn't figure out how to make it fit in the scene-by-scene flow of the story.

Top Bottom