• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Well shoot, this just makes too much sense, doesn't it?!

That plot reveal actually made it as far as the RotJ novelization by James Kahn. I think hiding Luke with someone that Obi-Wan trusted, who they pretended was family, makes a great deal more sense than "Let's give Leia to a complete stranger and change her name, but let Luke grow up with his only living relatives on the planet where his dad grew up."  :D

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
"Let's give Leia to a complete stranger and change her name, but let Luke grow up with his only living relatives on the planet where his dad grew up."  :D

I mean he did hate sand :)

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So without revealing any spoilers, can those who have seen it tell us how is the new movie is?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warbler said:
So without revealing any spoilers, can those who have seen it tell us how is the new movie is?
I thought it was fantastic, and a great conclusion to the series. I think that it makes TLJ even better. I don't know what else I can say without spoilers. What aspect do you want to know about?

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Warbler said:
I thought it was fantastic, and a great conclusion to the series. I think that it makes TLJ even better. I don't know what else I can say without spoilers. What aspect do you want to know about?

basically that sort of thing.  Was it good, was it bad, was it divisive like the TLJ, etc ...

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
So I just rewatched Revenge of the Sith as part of my Star Wars marathon leading up to The Rise of Skywalker. Two years ago I defended the movie from this forum trying to find excuses for its flaws. As time went on I started to understand why Anakin’s actual fall didn’t really work, even though on paper the idea was very good. I was hoping to rediscover why I loved this movie, but ultimately I came out of it disappointed. Now that I revisit our discussions I totally understand what you were all telling me.

(snip so people don't have to scroll too much)

It’s interesting. Now I think Phantom Menace is the least bad of the prequels. I think it’s okay. Just because I really like the self-contained fun story about the themes of symbiosis, nature vs. technology, working together, etc. and I love the characterization of Qui-Gon and Padmé, two of the main characters of the film. But no arguments about how disappointing it is compared to the OT.

Well said! It’s rare and refreshing to see someone willing to change their opinion and admit it to others online. Not everyone has to share the same opinion on Star Wars (or any franchise), but there seems to be a weird trend toward tribalism to defend whatever set of movies they grew up on at all costs, no matter how little logic there is behind it or how well-reasoned the arguments are on the other side.

I didn’t like TLJ when I first saw it, but I read and saw lots of online reviews about it, including many intelligent and articulate defenses of the movie. I still haven’t gone back and rewatched it, but I have a great deal more respect for it, and will try to keep the positive comments in mind when I do get around to a rewatch. I have to admit that other people saw things in TLJ that I didn’t. So I’m glad you were able to do the same for RotS.

Great review on Letterboxd, BTW! :)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
They’ve watched my own hybrid of various fan edits for the ST.

(snip)

Funny thing is, I tried to show my kids the prequels but they hated it and were totally bored. We didn’t make it halfway through the first one.

(sob of joy) You're raising them right!  :p 

I think there's an interesting new trend developing in the fan editing community, especially for those with young kids: Do you show them fan edits first, and if you do, when you do tell them that they saw an altered version? It's kind of like our version of "What do we tell our kids about Santa Claus?" except this question could also go for showing it to any newcomer, even if that person is an adult.

The issue is that, once people know they're not seeing the original, it seems like they'd all immediately ask to skip the altered version because they would feel like they're missing out on things that other people got to see. Of course, all they're "missing out on" are plodding scenes that go nowhere, bad acting, etc. The trick is getting them to understand that the edit will probably help their enjoyment of the film. 

It's not anything we have to come up with a conclusive answer to, especially not right this second, but it's fun to think about. I'm glad your kids enjoyed the edited movies!  :)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Warbler said:

I haven't seen it yet, but the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are currently like this:

Critics: 58%
Audiences: 86%

What that tells me is that people who loved TLJ really don't like this one, and people who were exasperated by TLJ really enjoy this one.

Hope that helps in some way!

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Moe_Syzlak said:
They’ve watched my own hybrid of various fan edits for the ST.

(snip)

Funny thing is, I tried to show my kids the prequels but they hated it and were totally bored. We didn’t make it halfway through the first one.

(sob of joy) You're raising them right!  :p 

I think there's an interesting new trend developing in the fan editing community, especially for those with young kids: Do you show them fan edits first, and if you do, when you do tell them that they saw an altered version? It's kind of like our version of "What do we tell our kids about Santa Claus?" except this question could also go for showing it to any newcomer, even if that person is an adult.

The issue is that, once people know they're not seeing the original, it seems like they'd all immediately ask to skip the altered version because they would feel like they're missing out on things that other people got to see. Of course, all they're "missing out on" are plodding scenes that go nowhere, bad acting, etc. The trick is getting them to understand that the edit will probably help their enjoyment of the film. 

It's not anything we have to come up with a conclusive answer to, especially not right this second, but it's fun to think about. I'm glad your kids enjoyed the edited movies!  :)

Believe me I’ve thought about that. Honestly, it was threefold. One, I was watching them with them and I didn’t want to watch the original versions. Two, these movies unedited are long and I wasn’t sure they had the patience for it all. My TLJ is a svelte ~1:45. Three, we’re living in Germany and I don’t have a Blu-ray player with the appropriate voltage so really the only versions available to me we’re the edits on my Mac.

Warbler

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Warbler said:

I haven't seen it yet, but the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are currently like this:

Critics: 58%
Audiences: 86%

What that tells me is that people who loved TLJ really don't like this one, and people who were exasperated by TLJ really enjoy this one.

Hope that helps in some way!
interesting.

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The briefest non-spoiler review I can do is that the movie feels much more like traditional Star Wars in a general sense than Last Jedi did. It is also a frantic, blisteringly-paced kaleidoscope of every shower thought JJ Abrams has ever had about Star Wars packed into a single 2.5 hour film. As mentioned above, people who disliked TLJ probably will enjoy this one more. And those (like myself) who thought TLJ was a flawed, but ultimately well-crafted movie, will probably see Rise of Skywalker as an enjoyable, but perhaps absurd, end to the saga.

I hope that was vague enough to avoid spoiling anyone too much.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Siliconmaster said:
The briefest non-spoiler review I can do is that the movie feels much more like traditional Star Wars in a general sense than Last Jedi did. It is also a frantic, blisteringly-paced kaleidoscope of every shower thought JJ Abrams has ever had about Star Wars packed into a single 2.5 hour film. As mentioned above, people who disliked TLJ probably will enjoy this one more. And those (like myself) who thought TLJ was a flawed, but ultimately well-crafted movie, will probably see Rise of Skywalker as an enjoyable, but perhaps absurd, end to the saga.

I hope that was vague enough to avoid spoiling anyone too much.

Lol. My thoughts exactly. Can I borrow the “shower thoughts” line? Ha!

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:

And what about those of us who like the cast, but thought both TFA and TLJ were crap? I guess we'll either find ROTS crap again, or, just possibly, vaguely enjoy the mindless, stakes-free pew-pew-pew of it all. :p

Anyhow, I still don't much like the notion that the First Order could have gotten so big and powerful so quickly after the fall of the Empire, but this rundown of the canon backstory to the ST sounds a lot more interesting than the ST itself:

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Believe me I’ve thought about that. Honestly, it was threefold. One, I was watching them with them and I didn’t want to watch the original versions. Two, these movies unedited are long and I wasn’t sure they had the patience for it all. My TLJ is a svelte ~1:45. Three, we’re living in Germany and I don’t have a Blu-ray player with the appropriate voltage so really the only versions available to me we’re the edits on my Mac.
TomH1138 said:

All valid reasons! You made the right call. :) (Pardon all the extra "quote" boxes; for some reason I can't just highlight them and get rid of them.)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I have trouble deleting quote boxes sometimes too, but if you click the Source button on the posting toolbar, it gives you the code, which makes doing so easy as pie. ;)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
TomH1138 said:

And what about those of us who like the cast, but thought both TFA and TLJ were crap? 

source.gif

Top Bottom