• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
This is a great fan trailer for the Special Editions:

The ending makes me laugh :D .

It needs the Vader “noooooo!!!” at the very end.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Will this mini-documentary lead to a groundswell of fan demand for a Clone Wars-style animated Disney+ Shadows of the Empire film? Almost certainly not. But I'd watch it, probably.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would definitely be down for a Shadows of the Empire series on Disney+. 

It's a very interesting story and a way to engage the older fans while letting newer ones get more exposure/appreciation for the OT era.  At this point some changes would clearly have to be made to accommodate newer novels and continuity, but I feel it would make for a good series.  Plus, you can always continue with a Dash Rendar series if SOTE proves popular.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I loved Richard E. Grant's reaction. It may be his acting (I don't believe so), but I can feel the emotion in his breaking voice.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
I loved Richard E. Grant's reaction. It may be his acting (I don't believe so), but I can feel the emotion in his breaking voice.

Wow! and remember that guy doesn't ever drink ;) . Disney should just play that clip of Grant instead of all the trailers. I'm now super pumped for the film and sincerely hope I walk out feeling a 10th as happy as he did.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Breaking News: Guy Who Is In Movie Says That Movie Is Great! :p

Seriously though that’s a great reaction. He looks as though he’s suppressing tears.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
My kids (seven years old) have decided they want to see Episode 9 in the theatre. My only requirement for them was that they watch episodes 7 and 8 so I wouldn’t be answering questions all through the movie. So tonight was Last Jedi time.

I played them my own edit. Now, if you know me you know I’m not an editor. I took a few edits and stitched them together and then made a few slight trims of my own. Some of the edits I used never got Academy approval here. But basically this was an edit that focuses almost exclusively on the Rey/Ben/Luke/Snoke storylines. Gone are the slow speed chase, the Leia spacewalk, the Canto Bight subplot, and a lot of humor I felt didn’t work.

First, my kids loved it. And, to be honest, so did I. I had watched any version in well over a year and I really enjoyed it, partly because my kids were so into it. They were cheering, cuddling up to me when scared, and yelling at the screen. It was great. My wife, who is not a Star Wars fan and who has only seen the movie in the theater with me, said, “that was much better than I remembered.”

Now, the seven year olds didn’t notice any problems, but I did. With the B plot all but eliminated, Finn, Poe, and Leia don’t do much and Rose and Holdo are unnamed supporting characters. That’s fine for Rose except she’ll undoubtedly have a large role in the next movie. For Holdo, since she pilots the light speed assault it kind of comes of out of nowhere. Since we don’t see the bridge assault that sends Leia on her spacewalk, we also don’t see Ackbar’s fate. If someone could create a plausible version of Ackbar subbing for Holdo, I think it could really work. To be clear, I don’t hate Holdo but I don’t think the B storyline is necessary nor very well executed. So that character would just be a casualty of tightening up the film.

Overall, I think the movie’s themes and ideas are excellent. Luke is brave and strong by doing what he couldn’t in Empire. He knows that the Jedi must die and that dogma is not what the Force is about. I hope the new movie doesn’t try to unwrite that.

In my continuing document of my kids’ exposure to Star Wars, tonight they saw Empire for the first time. Early in the movie, despite Star Wars being the most recent Star Wars movie they had seen, one of them asked in frustration, “are Rey and BB8 going to be in this one?” To my dismay, they didn’t seem excited by the Hoth battle and seemed downright bored by the middle section. But the reveal from Darth Vader that he is *spoiler alert* Luke’s father got them interested. One of my kids feels Vader is lying because Ben wouldn’t lie to Luke and one feels Vader is telling the truth. I teased them that they would have to wait three years to find out the answer just like I did. But now they want to watch RotJ tomorrow.

I’m taking my kids and a few neighborhood kids to see episode 9 at the matinee on opening day here in Germany which is 18 December. Despite one of my sons really loving the character of Darth Vader, they weren’t interested in the OT movies until the big reveal in ESB. But they’ve loved the sequel trilogy. It will be interesting to see what they think of RotJ. If they love the Ewoks I may not ever show them Jar Jar and the prequels. :p

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’d say my kids liked RotJ the best of the OT. But they definitely like TFA the best of all. I thought it was funny that one of my kids—at age seven—thought the plan to free Han Solo was convoluted. He said, “why didn’t Luke just bring his lightsaber with him?” I didn’t have an answer for him. :p

Overall I’d say they like the movies but I doubt they’ll be as invested in it as I was when I was their age. I’m hoping that episode 9 entertains them as they really do like that trilogy much more. I think it’s a good reminder that how we respond to these movies really is age dependent.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
We've done the following with the kids: 4, 5, 6, 1, some of 7. In 4 I just skipped a few scenes, 5 I made the Youngling edition and 6 I made another Youngling edition, though I don't think people would be interested in it as it changes the Emperor’s finality to not engage at all with Luke and just return to his chair when Luke says he is a Jedi and the Emperor has failed (though that is intriguing now with the final installment implications ). I've shown scenes wit bb8, the falcon chase and a few snippets of the lightsaber battle.

My kiddos love the OT, especially the Hoth battle. They have PT toys that they play with, but don't really understand who the characters are. They also love bb8 and Poe. Oh and pod racing is huge. We've played that game and watched the pod race a bunch.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
We've done the following with the kids: 4, 5, 6, 1, some of 7. In 4 I just skipped a few scenes, 5 I made the Youngling edition and 6 I made another Youngling edition, though I don't think people would be interested in it as it changes the Emperor’s finality to not engage at all with Luke and just return to his chair when Luke says he is a Jedi and the Emperor has failed (though that is intriguing now with the final installment implications ). I've shown scenes wit bb8, the falcon chase and a few snippets of the lightsaber battle.

My kiddos love the OT, especially the Hoth battle. They have PT toys that they play with, but don't really understand who the characters are. They also love bb8 and Poe. Oh and pod racing is huge. We've played that game and watched the pod race a bunch.

How old are your kids? Mine are seven and this was their first time with the movies. One of my kids became obsessed with the visage of Vader at about age three so I created a rough edit that removed a lot of more intense stuff from the original Star Wars. But they never really watched it. One of kids thought some of Empire and Jedi were a bit scary but nothing too bad. The most disturbing thing to them was that Obi Wan lied about Luke’s dad. One of them bought the “certain point of view” explanation to rationalize Obi Wan’s lies. :p

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds similar in age. My kids weren't really concerned with plot points. During the big reveal in Empire they didn't really have any reaction. The biggest reaction they had was when they realized their Anakin toys were Luke's dad/Vader. Honestly I still don't think they really get it.

My youngling edits take out the cave scene and anyone getting shot on screen. Vader also doesn't cut off Luke's hand nor does Luke cut off Vader's hand. I also removed the Rancor. I'd like to think that as they get older and watch the uncut versions, the story will just improve like a good extended edition :)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought about doing something like that. But ultimately decided they should experience the stories in full the first time. They’ve definitely been able to handle it at age seven. I finally decided they should see the movies because they really want to see Episode 9 in the theatre because of their (slightly older) neighbor friends who want to go. I’m trusting that episode 9 won’t be any more intense than the other movies have been.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DonKamillo said:

I was just about to post that new long Star Wars / Wiseau youtube video.
Wiseau and Hayden have more chemistry together than with Portman I must say.
It was a real good laugh and a good lesson of fanediting (I mean not in a professional kind of way but the ideas and the executions are pretty great to make a 19 minutes comedic video that still makes sens.)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
We’re now 40 hours away from the RoS matinee and my kids are beyond stoked. They have now watched the OT and the ST. They started with TFA and then TLJ and went back to the OT. They liked it all but TFA is their favorite and they rewatched that last night. Right now they are finishing up TLJ again. They’ve watched my own hybrid of various fan edits for the ST. Seeing the love they have these movies without questioning some spurious logic (the same as I did not questioning why the Empire would land cumbersome walkers on Hoth rather than send in fighters or why the Rebels wouldn’t target said walkers from the side or behind where they have no guns) really highlights the blinders so many fans have on. Funny thing is, I tried to show my kids the prequels but they hated it and were totally bored. We didn’t make it halfway through the first one.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
We’re now 40 hours away from the RoS matinee and my kids are beyond stoked. They have now watched the OT and the ST. They started with TFA and then TLJ and went back to the OT. They liked it all but TFA is their favorite and they rewatched that last night. Right now they are finishing up TLJ again. They’ve watched my own hybrid of various fan edits for the ST. Seeing the love they have these movies without questioning some spurious logic (the same as I did not questioning why the Empire would land cumbersome walkers on Hoth rather than send in fighters or why the Rebels wouldn’t target said walkers from the side or behind where they have no guns) really highlights the blinders so many fans have on. Funny thing is, I tried to show my kids the prequels but they hated it and were totally bored. We didn’t make it halfway through the first one.

They might enjoy Clones or Sith more. But I don't blame them for being bored lol.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I just rewatched Revenge of the Sith as part of my Star Wars marathon leading up to The Rise of Skywalker. Two years ago I defended the movie from this forum trying to find excuses for its flaws. As time went on I started to understand why Anakin’s actual fall didn’t really work, even though on paper the idea was very good. I was hoping to rediscover why I loved this movie, but ultimately I came out of it disappointed. Now that I revisit our discussions I totally understand what you were all telling me.

The first half of Sith, though, minus probably the superfluous General Grievous side quest Obi-Wan goes to, I thought was legitimately really good. Especially the first 20 minutes of fun classic banter filled Star Wars. But even more than that the Palpatine seducing Anakin scenes and Anakin’s distrust with the Jedi scenes were really well done.

It’s after Anakin falls that the film becomes a rushed and sloppy joke. How does Anakin justify in his head committing genocide, killing children, and being part of an evil cult just to save one person he loves? Especially after Palpy says “Oh actually I don’t know how to save your wife but if we work together I’m pretty sure we can be able to figure it out.” I guess Anakin did become what he hates; not because he made a desperate and tragic choice, but because he was an idiot. It’s so unbelievable, not WHY he chooses to switch sides but the extend of HOW he changes. It’s so jarring and rushed. Then immediately he wants more power and wants to overthrow the Emperor? Then he suddenly turns on Padmé, the person he wanted to save all this time, because Obi-Wan appeared behind him? What is going on??? He’s acting like a lunatic.

More thoughts on my Letterboxd review:

https://boxd.it/U2cEv

But overall this was my frustrating experience with Revenge of the Sith last night:

Moe_Syzlak said:
Alright, I watched it. So basically the case he's making is that Anakin's turn was because of the Jedi and the hypocrisy of the Jedi code rather than to save Padme. First, if that's the case, he's just made an argument that Lucas is (not so secretly) a terrible storyteller. Because that doesn't come through at all. But even if it did, it's basically the equivalent of saying because some of the allied power leaders were a bit hypocritical, I'm going to side with the genocidal Nazis. And for what reason? Spite? If that's the intent is the PT is actually secretly much MUCH worse. (IMO)

TVs Frink said:
I think EP III Anakin might be the worst of the (first) three.

Oh hey, Palpatine is a Sith.
I know, I'll kill Mace.
Oh wait, what have I done?!?!?
Mr. Sith lied to me about being able to save Padme?
Ah well, I'm gonna kill a bunch of kids now too.

Zamros said:
Anakin's Character Progression:

Super Talented Space Jesus that knows only of good and kindness -> Angsty Teenager that makes women so uncomfortable they fall in love with him -> Jedi Knight and General of a Clone Batallion, actual adult and likeable human being -> Genocidial Child-killing Space Nazi

with zero actual development in between. That's not an arc. That's a side on view of the Himalayas.

So yeah, I get it now.

5/10. Blergh. Good thing I watched Return of the Jedi afterwards to wash the bad taste away from my mouth.

ThrowgnCpr said:
What I get from prequel apologists and Masirimso17's defense is that they love the idea of Anakin's fall, and try to use that to defend these movies, but completely ignore the execution of that idea in the films and all of the other inconsistencies.  Anakin's character, and his fall, is one of the most poorly handled cinematic experiences I've ever seen. More character depth has been demonstrated in the Sharknado saga... I for real enjoyed Sharknado more than Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith combined.

I really don't understand why people love ROTS so much. The "bruh, it's so dark" defense is nonsense. ROTS is pretty much on par with AOTC in its shittiness. If you can get past the annoying kid (yeah, kids are annoying. Have you met any?) and jar-jar nonsense of TPM, it's easy to see that it's the least offensive of the PT. By a longshot. Trying to impose political and moral depth on these movies is an exercise in frustration.

The prequels keep getting edited because people LOVE Star Wars and keep trying to find something, anything in these movies that can bring them into line with that universe. It ain't gonna happen.

I completely agree with this now. At least now for marathons, fan edits could “diminish the effects of it”, as ironically George himself put it.

And rewatching RotJ immediately after, I have to say RotS, as bad as Anakin’s fall was, still makes RotJ better because this time you fear Luke falling to the dark side even more, when he wears all black, says things his father said like “don’t underestimate my power” and faces the Emperor’s seduction the same way Anakin was turned...

Still doesn’t excuse RotS from screwing up Anakin’s fall this much.

Oh and also this is crazy:

Moe_Syzlak said:
Anakin's turn to the dark side should have been set up from his actions in episode 1. Instead he's a wholesome, innocent child.

It certainly would've been better had Anakin been more like the kid in Looper. It also would've more clearly underlined QGJ's recklessness. I always thought Anakin should've witnessed QGJ's death as well. One more recurring loss of those he cares about.

I forgot you even said this! This is exactly what I thought after I watched Looper, I completely agree. I even wrote it in my Phantom Menace review on Letterboxd.

It’s interesting. Now I think Phantom Menace is the least bad of the prequels. I think it’s okay. Just because I really like the self-contained fun story about the themes of symbiosis, nature vs. technology, working together, etc. and I love the characterization of Qui-Gon and Padmé, two of the main characters of the film. But no arguments about how disappointing it is compared to the OT.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well shoot, this just makes too much sense, doesn't it?!

716085_v2.jpg

Top Bottom