• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:

WImkBry.gif

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm surprised by this news, but given the revolving door of Lucasfilm writers and directors, I suppose I shouldn't be.

The writers cite schedule conflicts, but I have to wonder if this has something to do with the huge backlash over the GoT final season (and last episode). I haven't seen GoT myself, so I don't have an opinion either way, but I read a lot of fallout from that. I can't say I blame the writers; focusing on their own projects will probably be less likely to incite audience anger and frustration than working on another major franchise.

The first movie in the new series was slated for December of 2022, which means that Lucasfilm will have to hire new talent fast, or that date will have to be cancelled while the company gets its bearing again.

Meanwhile, work on Rian Johnson's proposed trilogy hasn't come to a complete stop, but Johnson has been busy with another film (Knives Out), and negative fan backlash to The Last Jedi suggests that all parties involved might take it slow for fear of more audience fallout.

So, for the first time in several years, there isn't a Star Wars film in production or with a release date (beyond Rise of Skywalker in December). That's fine; I don't mind if the franchise gets a bit of rest, although in this case, a "rest" still means new TV shows on Disney+, as well as new video games, comic books, novels, etc.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
So, for the first time in several years, there isn't a Star Wars film in production or with a release date (beyond Rise of Skywalker in December).

GXI7s.jpg

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I mean, all things considered, removing the dummy shot and hiding it with a bigger explosion may be the least obnoxious "fix" they've done in years. That being said, why?

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mandalorian was good. I have spoken*

*context

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Siliconmaster said:
I mean, all things considered, removing the dummy shot and hiding it with a bigger explosion may be the least obnoxious "fix" they've done in years. That being said, why?

I agree. I mean I haven’t seen the Greedo shoots first version in years, but this seems better than I remembered.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
wilhelm scream said:
OK, Disney has now made the Han/Greedo scene from the special edition even worse. https://www.movie-censorship.com/news.php?ID=15336

That's a fake surely. The "new" shot looks suspiciously lower res and like a heavy crop of the earlier shot.

No, it's 100% real. Apparently it was the last change George made back in 2012 (when these 4K scans/masters were made) before he sold the company to Disney. They've just been sitting on the new masters ever since.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ChainsawAsh said:
TM2YC said:
wilhelm scream said:
OK, Disney has now made the Han/Greedo scene from the special edition even worse. https://www.movie-censorship.com/news.php?ID=15336

That's a fake surely. The "new" shot looks suspiciously lower res and like a heavy crop of the earlier shot.

No, it's 100% real. Apparently it was the last change George made back in 2012 (when these 4K scans/masters were made) before he sold the company to Disney. They've just been sitting on the new masters ever since.

Ahhhh that makes more sense, thanks. So knowing George's m.o. the new shot probably is a low res, altered, crop of the earlier shot because "f*ck you SW fans". I can believe Disney being careless enough to put out a rubbish old transfer without checking it but couldn't see them making pointless changes to antagonize their customers.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's actually a much better transfer with better color grading throughout - my guess is Lucas initially tried to just use the 2004 master for 3D conversion, got a bunch of the way through it with new changes made, then at some point saw an in-progress 3D conversion of it and finally saw how awful it looked, color especially. So he halted work on that, dumped what had been finished on the 2011 Blu-Rays, then commissioned a new 4K scan of all 3 films, had them reapply all the changes he'd already made in preparation for 3D, then threw this last one in just because he could (or maybe the exploding Greedo puppet just looked that bad in 3D).

But then 3D re-releases of old films didn't take off so he shelved it all and sold LFL to Disney, and now Disney has been sitting on this new 4K restoration, waiting for the "right time" to release it, which they decided is now.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
George's last middle finger to the fans. Beautiful 'cause it's just more evidence proving how shitty a filmmaker Lucas is. Doubly beautiful because Disney didn't give a shit enough to remove it.

The boycott continues.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good grief!  So George went back and had a final tinker with the Han/Greedo shoot-out before things changed hands with Disney...and STILL flubbed the opportunity to just revert things back to their much better original layout... :dodgy:

Greedo's ludicrous new "MACLUNKEY!" line sounds as bad as Han's ridiculous 'head-swerve' looks...so I had a go at slightly amending how George's 'definitive' version of the scene might have sounded if he'd NOT included that line at all!  

If you just ignore the way the subtitles are chopped up now, and play these snippets one-after-another, it will give a rough idea of how he could have concocted a similar scene with Greedo's existing dialogue instead.  It would STILL have looked as bad overall, but Greedo might not have sounded quite so laughable this way -

George's new version - https://streamable.com/k1sca

Slightly altered version of it -

1.  https://streamable.com/1c3w7

2.  https://streamable.com/em59d

3.  https://streamable.com/5av3n

4.  https://streamable.com/3n4u4

Anyway, although I'll check out the better colouration on these out of curiousity one day, that doesn't make up for the other 'creative choices' they still contain...and while it's nice to know that mattes etc. blend in better now, and that DISNEY+ viewers will get to see Vader with a consistently red lightsaber as opposed to a pink one every now and then, I'll still be sticking with Adywan's versions for my own future viewings, thanks...and get the shoot-out just the way I like it too. :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

(^NSFW warning, it's Tarantino. Skip to 0.54 for the funny bit)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Re: "Maclunkey":

I can't even get angry anymore at the changes. This new one is random and inexplicable and hilarious, and I can't help but love everything about it.

Besides, I've got 4K77 and Adywan's edits. I wish everyone could have those, but at least I can comfort myself with not having to see these changes when I watch the movie.

My favorite comment in a YouTube thread about this:

"Fans: Maybe we'll get the original versions of Star Wars now that Disney owns it
Disney: Muhclunky"

That being said, I doubt Disney was even aware of this. George gave them all the copies. One would naturally assume that the 4K version was identical to the then-just released 2011 versions, but one quality grade higher. Who on earth would think to say, "Hey, what if George changed just that one scene one more time so that Greedo spouts untranslated gibberish?"

Incidentally, the word around the 'net is that Sebulba says the same thing in TPM, and it basically means, "This will be the end of you." But if that's the case, why didn't George just put the translation in?

At this point, the Greedo scene just needs to get re-edited every year so we can always see new craziness. Next time, Greedo should get up and do a tap dance before sitting down and getting shot. 

Incidentally, I updated my profile picture on Facebook to that of Greedo's, and I changed my middle name on the site to "Maclunkey."

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a great fan trailer for the Special Editions:

The ending makes me laugh :D .

Top Bottom