• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
An editor has restored a deleted scene from Empire that had unfinished effects, as far as I can tell. There's not much to it, just a brief bit of Yoda training Luke, but perhaps some other editor might find it useful to add to one of their projects.

http://epicstream.com/news/JudithAn...pW2v5sD1su6-fnLyDAoik8WvjfvSJnqVXUPqSzONuWCds

I did add colors and lightsaber to that scene myself in my "War of the Stars Part 2 The Future in Motion" Fanedit, years ago. Althouh not as clean as this version.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
EpIsOdE 9 TrAiLeR nOw??? PlEaSe!?!?!?
s1e22b.png

It'S sO bAd!!!! I'm NoT eVeN iN tHe RiGhT Ff-Ff-FFuFfF-FfF-FRANCHISE!!!!!

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've going to the Star Wars Celebration in Chicago this Friday, so I'm hoping I'll get to see it then.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
addiesin said:
If you were given a seat in the Star Wars writer's room, what movie would you pitch?

A Lara Croft-type adventure flick, pre-Clone Wars. A badass woman raiding ancient temples and tombs, for the illegal private museum of a galactic tycoon. She might have a mild Force sensitivity, enough to, say, flip a switch, knock a guy over, or call a blaster to her, but nothing major. As much Indiana Jones flavor for the Star Wars franchise as Guardians is Star Wars flavor for the MCU.

Has... has someone at Marvel been reading my posts? :p 

Slate: The Best Star Wars Character of This Millennium Is a Lesbian Archaeologist

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A very interesting video from Celebration 2019.
Doug Chiang explaining in details the hows and whys of the prequels design, among other things.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's no explaining the whys of the prequels. ;)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Doug Chiang's work is one of the few elements of the prequels (along with the music) that should be celebrated. I shall give that video a watch.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Seriously Disney, just make a show out of these.

Happy Star Trek day everyone!

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Disney just announced the dates for the next trilogy of Star Wars movies: December 2022, 2024 and 2026.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/disney...-new-star-wars-films-and-four-avatar-sequels/

No word yet on if these are the films from Rian Johnson or if these are the movies from the Game of Thrones show runners. On the one hand, Johnson was specifically working on a trilogy, while the GoT writers were working on a series of movies. So the fact that three movies were announced suggests that it's Johnson. On the other hand, Disney still seems to be dealing with post-Last Jedi fallout, while seemingly everyone still loves GoT. I feel like Disney will wait a few more years before giving Johnson a go again. 

(I'm not saying that all the online abuse of Johnson is fair; I'm saying that, as a corporation, Disney will want to hedge its bets and wait till the backlash dies down. Maybe in a few years, no one will care anymore, either because Rise of Skywalker makes everyone happy again, or because it makes fans so mad that they actually look at Johnson more respectfully in comparison.)

No names yet, of course (we didn't even get a name for Ep. IX until last month!), nor is there any idea of the plot, the time/setting, etc.

I have mixed feelings about the announcement. While I'm glad there will be more Star Wars films, I feel like it steals the thunder of Rise of Skywalker a bit to turn everyone's attention to the next trilogy. At Celebration just last month, Disney said they realized they had over-saturated the market, and they were slowing down on Star Wars a little. Between the multiple animated series in production and live-action series in development, and now these, it doesn't feel very much like slowing down. I'm glad it's not a new one every year, but this still seems like a lot.

It must sound weird that a huge Star Wars fan like me wants less of it, so let me reframe my comments. I really loved Solo. If the market hadn't been so glutted, I think it would have stood more of a chance. I want each Star Wars movie to have its best shot at attracting an audience rather than people saying, "Oh, new Star Wars? Is it Tuesday already?"

Anyway, I'll keep an open mind, and continue to watch the development of these movies with interest.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
At Celebration just last month, Disney said they realized they had over-saturated the market, and they were slowing down on Star Wars a little.

Reasonable alternate explanation: "Boy, we really mucked up Solo by taking what should have been a Disney+ series and filming it twice, The Last Jedi made about half of TFA and pissed a lot of people off, and Kathleen Kennedy has fired several publicly hired directors, which is embarrassing. So, since we don't have any movies ready to go anyway, we Disney execs are going to take this opportunity to give her a two-year retirement tour, and carefully oversee all future projects."

Now, I'm no rabid anti-Kennedy hater or conspiracy theorist, and I certainly can't judge her career as a whole. But I'm not impressed with Disney's Lucasfilm output, which IMHO ranges from awful (TFA) to passable (R1, Solo). So... take all official statements with a grain of salt.

TomH1138 said:
No word yet on if these are the films from Rian Johnson or if these are the movies from the Game of Thrones show runners. On the one hand, Johnson was specifically working on a trilogy, while the GoT writers were working on a series of movies. So the fact that three movies were announced suggests that it's Johnson.

No offense, hombre, but that's some tea-leaf reading right there. Lots of series are pitched as trilogies.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not sure how reputable he is, but John Campea claims that he has insider sources who told him that the trilogy currently being planned is being helmed by the "Game of Thrones" showrunners, not Rian Johnson.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't have many SW shirts, maybe two.  I happen to wear one to the grocery store.  It's one with the old logo from the 70s, where Vader's lightsaber has a hilt.  Checkout dude sees it, and complains that lightsabers don't have hilts.  Then he asks if I'm excited to see the new movie.  I say "sure" hoping that's enough to end the conversation.  No such luck.  He starts telling me how bad the last three have been and it would take a miracle and I just want my food so I can get out of there.

As terrible as the internet is, at least I can close the browser tab whenever I want.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You could always just tell the cashier to shut up.
I mean, that's rude but it's not like you're trying to make a friend.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
asterixsmeagol said:
You could always just tell the cashier to shut up.
I mean, that's rude but it's not like you're trying to make a friend.

Yes, it's rude.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My uncle was very vocal to me about how this one time, he was wearing some beer shirt that he was given, and a casheer asked if he could drink my uncle's shirt. 
Casheers should stop talking to people about their shirts. 
Though there was this one time at a convinience store where a casheer pointed out my Death Note shirt, that was kinda cool I suppose.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frink has it right.  I used to be a cashier,  and then I managed a bunch of cashiers. It's harder than it looks standing there doing that 8 hours a day.  Physically sure it isn't that hard but for most people not making small talk at least some of the time would make them go crazy.  Sometimes there will be some misfires, such as frinks situation and your uncles story, but in those cases I promise it's not too hard to just endure it and keep it to yourself. They get enough rude assholes for things that aren't their fault as it is,  trust me.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
TomH1138 said:
No word yet on if these are the films from Rian Johnson or if these are the movies from the Game of Thrones show runners. On the one hand, Johnson was specifically working on a trilogy, while the GoT writers were working on a series of movies. So the fact that three movies were announced suggests that it's Johnson.

No offense, hombre, but that's some tea-leaf reading right there. Lots of series are pitched as trilogies.

Your honor, I direct you to the second part of my statement, conveniently left off by the prosecuting attorney:

Gaith said:
On the other hand, Disney still seems to be dealing with post-Last Jedi fallout, while seemingly everyone still loves GoT. I feel like Disney will wait a few more years before giving Johnson a go again. 

I further note that many people noted the specific distinction between "trilogy" when referring to Johnson's films and "series" when referring to the GoT writers at the time that the respective announcements were made.

(full-on Jack McCoy grandstanding)
Lastly, I would conclude that the prosecuting attorney has yet to produce any evidence of his own wild speculation that the release of the next Star Wars movie in 2022 is in any way linked to the future career of Kathleen Kennedy! 

(gasping for breath)
The defense rests, your honor.

(Fade out. "Law & Order" gavel sound effect.)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My playful teasing of Gaith aside, Bob Iger has now confirmed that the next film in the series will indeed be from the GoT writers:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-star-wars-films-after-rise-of-skywalker-will-1834749699

Interestingly, Iger chooses to use the singular word "movies" instead of talking about the announced three films as a whole.

As Gaith noted, it's probably just pointless semantics, but the word choice is interesting nonetheless.

Collipso

Reaction score
Trophy Points
it’s funny how on your first post you say “and apparently everyone still loves GoT” :D

Top Bottom