• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
I would have liked that, if we're talking alternate universe where someone other than George wrote the scripts or Disney decides to shunt all prequel material for a mulligan. But if we're talking another movie in the prequel era as-is, no. No thank you.

What about the same characters but in the OT-era (or rather the in-between era)? Besides Qui-Gon ofc except as a Force Ghost voice in an Obi-Wan movie

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
addiesin said:
I would have liked that, if we're talking alternate universe where someone other than George wrote the scripts or Disney decides to shunt all prequel material for a mulligan. But if we're talking another movie in the prequel era as-is, no. No thank you.

What about the same characters but in the OT-era (or rather the in-between era)? Besides Qui-Gon ofc except as a Force Ghost voice in an Obi-Wan movie

Aside from Obi-Wan and Palpy, they died in the PT.

Padme: died from being sad
Duke Dooku: will be joining most of the Hogwarts crew in the Headless Hunt
Mace Windu: flew out the windu
Qui-Gon: stabbed in the gut following an exciting warm up for Cirque du Soleil

so, who are you referring to? :p

And to reiterate on the idea of an Obi-Wan movie in the in-between era being a terrible idea: he is supposed to be in hiding. So in theory, he's leading a hermit life on a desert planet. I'm guessing he plays a lot of solitaire and watches reruns of the Golden Girls. Anything more interesting would surely blow ol' Ben's cover.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m trying not to be pessimistic, but I think totally new stories with totally new characters has the best chance of success. However, if there’s really a compelling story to be told in a spin-off (so far there hasn’t been IMO*) then I’d be open to it. But I’m not clamoring for it.

* I enjoyed Rogue One and was lukewarm on Solo, but neither story really needed to be told.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
addiesin said:

Not interested in any way, if it's a continuation of the existing prequel trilogy. Most of the characters are either dead, played by other actors in the OT, or played by actors who have passed away. The continuity is a mess and the only way to bring any of them back is to repeat what they did with Darth Maul, with a mystery resurrection between eras.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Not interested in any way, if it's a continuation of the existing prequel trilogy. Most of the characters are either dead, played by other actors in the OT, or played by actors who have passed away. The continuity is a mess and the only way to bring any of them back is to repeat what they did with Darth Maul, with a mystery resurrection between eras

Or just disregard Rebels entirely... I'd be happy disregarding Rebels entirely.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
addiesin said:
Not interested in any way, if it's a continuation of the existing prequel trilogy. Most of the characters are either dead, played by other actors in the OT, or played by actors who have passed away. The continuity is a mess and the only way to bring any of them back is to repeat what they did with Darth Maul, with a mystery resurrection between eras

Or just disregard Rebels entirely... I'd be happy disregarding Rebels entirely.

I pretty much disregard everything that isn’t the movies. And it sometimes feels like I disregard half of what’s in the movies.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Padme: died from being sad
Duke Dooku: will be joining most of the Hogwarts crew in the Headless Hunt
Mace Windu: flew out the windu
Qui-Gon: stabbed in the gut following an exciting warm up for Cirque du Soleil

so, who are you referring to? :p

And to reiterate on the idea of an Obi-Wan movie in the in-between era being a terrible idea: he is supposed to be in hiding. So in theory, he's leading a hermit life on a desert planet. I'm guessing he plays a lot of solitaire and watches reruns of the Golden Girls. Anything more interesting would surely blow ol' Ben's cover.

A loop-hole can be created for Mace. Sam Jackson wants it, Prequel fans want it, heck I want it if the script's good. The Unusual Suspect explains how a good movie could be made.

And Qui-Gon is a ghost-voice, as proven at the end of RotS and the Clone Wars cartoon. Just saying he can come back as a voice in an Obi-Wan movie.

And an Obi-Wan movie doesn't necessarily have to be an intergalactic bombastic Star Wars movie like the others. It's a spin-off after all. Personally I would love a grounded, Logan-style character study with Ewan McGregor (and Liam Neeson for Force-Ghost-voice-training stuff) taking place solely on the roughness of Tatooine. Sign me up!

Oh and here's the video I was talking about. It's by the Unusual Suspect, who is a hilarious movie reviewer and also mash-up editor. Love his videos!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ugh, Maul surviving (apparently) was so stupid, I don't want that for Mace too.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Ugh, Maul surviving (apparently) was so stupid, I don't want that for Mace too.

Okay, I disagree but I respect your opinion.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hahah, I respect you but I cannot respect the opinion that bringing a dead character back to life is a good move.

Possible exception being Lord of the Rings.  Maybe.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
They need to concentrate on writing good stories. Not giving fans what they want (like Maul). Not subverting fan expectations for its own sake. The American football coach Buddy Ryan once said, “if you listen to the fans, you end up sitting with them.”

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:

That character being ressurected was part of the plan, though. Lord of the Rings were all written as one book.

Maul and Mace being ressurected would just be fanservice, and I like Maul's character in TCW...

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
TVs Frink said:

That character being ressurected was part of the plan, though. Lord of the Rings were all written as one book.

Maul and Mace being ressurected would just be fanservice

Excellent point.

and I like Maul's character in TCW...

I'll take your word for it, I've heard this from several people.  I've still only watched the first season.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you're not worried about spoilers, here's a decent tribute of his time on the show:

Honestly, the Maul v Obi Wan stuff are the highlights of the entire show, for me.
And I can understand why you stopped. Season 1 and 2 are mostly dogshit.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh I intend to watch them all eventually, I only recently finished S1.  I'm just not terribly motivated, despite knowing it gets better.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A western movie where ObiWan has to help out a small village from a warlord could be interesting.  Have a scene where he's got to fight a Kryatt dragon and a few scenes of him watching a young Luke from afar would be interesting and allow for some fun ideas.  Maybe even have a love interest involved which makes him question the ways of the Jedi while talking to Qui-Gon and I'd be there.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hymie said:
A western movie where ObiWan has to help out a small village from a warlord could be interesting.  Have a scene where he's got to fight a Kryatt dragon and a few scenes of him watching a young Luke from afar would be interesting and allow for some fun ideas.  Maybe even have a love interest involved which makes him question the ways of the Jedi while talking to Qui-Gon and I'd be there.

That sounds like the most reasonable approach while being the least disruptive to canon. I feel like if you were to pitch this film, they'd let you make it, then they'd glue explosions onto the beginning and Darth Maul onto the end with reshoots.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
I feel like if you were to pitch this film, they'd let you make it, then they'd glue explosions onto the beginning and Darth Maul onto the end with reshoots.

Applicable to any pitch I feel (sadly).

If they have to make an Ben Kenobi movie it should be a paired down Akira Kurosawa style Samurai/Western. A Ronin wondering between small settlements on Tatooine, righting wrongs. Take it back to the roots of Star Wars.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
title of kenobi western: yokenbo

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Do a shot-for-shot recreation of this scene, but with lightsabers, and I'll be happy

Top Bottom