• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
I haven't followed the shows very heavily, but I know that Ashoka leaves near the end of TCW, and then she confronts Anakin/Vader in Rebels. Doesn't having her come back again in between that time kind of lessen the impact of the storylines in both of those shows? 

This is a genuine question. Someone who follows the shows closer than I do can probably answer that.

Not an answer but in addendum...

Also Darth Maul is involved apparently? Again. Does that do anything to his story? 

I don't watch Rebels and made it through Clone Wars without paying particularly close attention to big parts (early days with the baby).

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
TomH1138 said:
I haven't followed the shows very heavily, but I know that Ashoka leaves near the end of TCW, and then she confronts Anakin/Vader in Rebels. Doesn't having her come back again in between that time kind of lessen the impact of the storylines in both of those shows? 

This is a genuine question. Someone who follows the shows closer than I do can probably answer that.

Not an answer but in addendum...

Also Darth Maul is involved apparently? Again. Does that do anything to his story? 

I don't watch Rebels and made it through Clone Wars without paying particularly close attention to big parts (early days with the baby).

Don't worry, I will explain. In the Ashoka novel,  we find out that Ashoka last saw Anakin and Obi-Wan when they went off to save Palpatine (Revenge of the Sith), while she went off to Mandalore to fight Maul (which is how they rocgonise each other at the end of Rebels season 2). I guess now we'll actaully get to see it.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Genius (not really but you ge the point) move.  Hats off to Disney-Lucasfilm for NOT LEAVING THINGS UNFINISHED.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm happy it's happening, but I'm annoyed it had to happen at all.

But after seeing the crowd at SDCC explode with enthusiasm, I think I get it now.

That's not the best guage. SDCC is the world's largest circlejerk

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I actualy prefered Clone Wars to Rebels (more inventive) and even if I was pleased enough with the ending of that shorter season 6 leaving some things in suspens, I think I'll watch a new season with interest. I know Filoni had some episodes left unfinished so I guess they will take those stories as a base for the new show.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've watched Season 1 and I just can't make myself care enough to continue.  People say it gets better.  They're probably right.  I just don't care.

Someone wake me when there's a live action TV show I can check out.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
I've watched Season 1 and I just can't make myself care enough to continue.  People say it gets better.  They're probably right.  I just don't care.

Someone wake me when there's a live action TV show I can check out.

The first 2-3 seasons really are "meh". Haven't gotten to the rest (though I did watch the Yoda episodes and they were so much better than the early seasons).

Just a suggestion, but you could watch Smudger9's edits which are great summarization of the early seasons. Then you could continue on from the rest of the show. Or just do the latter. Or nothing. Up to you.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
Don't worry, I will explain. In the Ashoka novel,  we find out that Ashoka last saw Anakin and Obi-Wan when they went off to save Palpatine (Revenge of the Sith), while she went off to Mandalore to fight Maul (which is how they rocgonise each other at the end of Rebels season 2). I guess now we'll actaully get to see it.

Ah, so there's a pre-existing plot point that they're fleshing out. Makes sense. Thanks for the explanation! :)

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw The Clone Wars's pilot film in 2008 and absolutely hated it.  Remember, I'm the guy who saw Attack of the Clones in theaters four times.   It was like a distillation of all the things I disliked about the prequels, with none of the redeeming qualities.  I'm happy for fans of the show, but after that miserable experience, I just can't bring myself to ever attempt watching it.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
I saw The Clone Wars's pilot film in 2008 and absolutely hated it.  Remember, I'm the guy who saw Attack of the Clones in theaters four times.   It was like a distillation of all the things I disliked about the prequels, with none of the redeeming qualities.  I'm happy for fans of the show, but after that miserable experience, I just can't bring myself to ever attempt watching it.

The pilot movie was pure crap, indeed. The very fact that is was released in theater is still a totaly mystery to me because even without talking about the "story", the look of it was screaming "cheaply made for TV".

Season 1 had some good moments, but also some uninteresting craps as the "movie".
Season 2 and three had more and more goods. Still some episodes more "kids friendly" than "fans friendly", but it's well expected for a cartoon show.
In the next seasons they gone crazy good with some story arcs. Of course it's still in the "prequel world", so I understand some fans are not interested in, but to me those seasons made that prequel world better. Not saying they made the prequel movies better... but it is undeniable that George Lucas imagination was on "full display" mode during season 4, 5 and 6. The culminating point being the whole Darth Maul with sipder legs thing... I found that completely silly, and yet they managed to make good episodes with this characters later on. And of course the hidden planet where the Force is "balanced".
The strenght of the series, compared to Rebels, is that the episodes are not always following Anakin or Obi-Wan. There are complete story arcs about Clone Troopers with moral issues, Mandalorian tribes, Bounty Hunters. You never know what the next episode is about.

Side note: the quality of the visuals also improves a bit from season to season. It's still the same "angular" style of cartoon, but the lightning, the settings, the colors, everything is better and better.

Of course there are still episodes for kids, there are still some episodes about dispensable battles where the story does not move forward and you start checking your watch. But well... the lenght is only about 20 minutes, so if you like an episode then you want to watch the next one and if not then you just stop and try another few days later.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Apparently Disney announced the casting of episode IX and Mark Hamill is in it.
AND...
they announced that footages from Carrie Fisher, shot for previous episodes (they say episode VII) will be used, with the blessing of her daughter.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I wonder what deleted TFA footage could wind up having any meaningful context in IX?  Shots of her giving tactical orders to Poe?  Or perhaps something more personal - a holorecording viewed by a remorseful/remorseless Kylo?

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ The four-second shot of her pasted onto a starship bridge right before it blows up in the movie's opening sequence will be the most "meaningful" four-second shot in the whole saga! :p

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
No doubt from the tone of the announcement, they wrote around the footage they had. It's probably not much and it may even be mostly alternate takes and lines from 7. She may have to be composited into a new location. But at least they aren't cutting the character, recasting, or the worst option of all: cgi resurrection.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm pretty sure they'll do some cgi work. Not ala Rogue One, but for far shots and other scenes were she is needed in them.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
 the worst option of all: cgi resurrection.

I can think of two worse uses of a posthumous actor appearance.  From the same movie.  I'll take CGI over literal cardboard cutouts any day.

That 1978 version of Game of Death also featured real footage of Bruce Lee's funeral.  That's about as tasteless as it gets.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Garp said:
And Billy Dee Williams too.

We knew that already, but you're right, it's the first time it's official.

Top Bottom