• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My disapproval has nothing to do with his opinion of Star Wars, and that should be obvious from the last few posts I've made in this thread.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm going to pull a Poe and take this in a new direction.
86408e475261924771b18d7a34f72883.gif

Thought his was a good video about space battle in Star Wars.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Sorry, but I still can't buy that the payload of a single starfighter/bomber, hitting a capital ship's topside/bow in more or less a random place, would cause a set of explosions that'd destroy the entire thing. (If the bombs had directly hit the engines, maybe, but they didn't.) :p

TVs Frink said:
If we could all stop quoting the humongous wall of text, that would be great.

Hear, hear. Very rarely does more than a paragraph bear quoting.

In my humble estimation, the Internet writer Chefelf is a legendary figure in Star Wars fandom. His (mostly text) Reasons to Hate the PT were the precursor to the Plinkett reviews, being gut-busting and astute howls of protest against Lucas' defiling of his own saga.

In December, Chefelf looked back on that series on his blog:

The attention these [Reasons to Hate] articles [received] lead to a mention in Entertainment Weekly, a BBC documentary called Generation Jedi which I still haven’t seen, thousands of emails of praise and condemnation, and a fun interview for the movie The People vs. George Lucas.  They even lead to me meeting my wife.

It’s hard to imagine that my criticism of The Phantom Menace would indirectly lead to the birth of my three children.  Nothing else I’ve ever written has had such an impact on my life.  Much like Darth Plagueis, my criticism of these movies had the power to create life.

In the twelve years since Revenge of the Sith I’ve had time to reflect and think about these movies more.  While I stand behind all my gripes, I do not stand behind the word hate.  I have no hate for any of them.  One thing I told Alexandre O. Philippe while filming The People vs. George Lucas is that I don’t enjoy the hate that’s risen out of the prequels.  Sure, I have my problems with them, I even used the term “hate” which in retrospect I wish I hadn’t done.

Chefelf then reviewed TLJ in a long series of blog posts, by recapping it with commentary. His conclusion:

The Last Jedi, and in some smaller way The Force Awakens did kill Star Wars for me in a way.  What they killed in me was the investment.  I went into both films with low to no expectations.  I emerged from The Force Awakens happy and filled with hope.  I emerged from The Last Jedi a bit disappointed for all the reasons I outlined in my review.  The prequels had beaten most of the hope out of me so my investment was low.  I didn’t see a single trailer for either movie and had no idea what to expect.  After watching The Last Jedi a second time I did like it a lot more.  The beauty of so much of it balanced out some of the frustration I had with the story and characters.

[...] The Last Jedi is not the movie I was expecting, however, the more I think about the better I feel about it overall.  I don’t see the perfect movie so many other fans saw and I certainly don’t see it as the franchise destroyer that others saw.  To me it was a mildly disappointing movie with some truly incredible parts in it.  While I wasn’t excited about this movie I do look forward to seeing it a third time when it is released on DVD.  I am also really looking forward to the new trilogy directed by Rian Johnson.

There’s one thing I’m sure of: this trilogy of trilogies is getting tired.  I look forward to a bold new direction for the Star Wars franchise in the future.

I'm less interested in the franchise's future than he is, but I appreciate his balanced take on the ST so far, and agree with many of his points in the full recap/review.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
TVs Frink said:
If we could all stop quoting the humongous wall of text, that would be great.

Hear, hear. Very rarely does more than a paragraph bear quoting.

You do realize you just quoted a wall of text right?
tumblr_lop7cqshbV1qzllgbo1_500.gif

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
You do realize you just quoted a wall of text right?

From an outside blog not previously quoted in the thread or forum, yeah. Apples and orange sodas.   :cool:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just read an interesting theory that Yoda speaks the way he does because he is 900-years old and that's the way people used to talk in his day.

Certainly if you went back 900-years and spoke to an English speaking person, you'd have a hard time understanding what they were saying (unless you did 'The Canterbury Tales' for your English exams :D ).

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ac Þa Tala Cantwaraburge wære giwritan in Middel Ænglisc ne in  Eald Ænglisc of nigun hunderod geara agan.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:

Wait a minute...
Is Han using the force? ;)

(Sigh) I know, I know... 

JUCH0mJ.gif

Detective

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Gaith, thanks for that link.

This part rung true:
One thing is for sure, the Jedi seem to be quitters.  Yoda’s self imposed exile seems fine during The Empire Strikes Back but when we see how he came to that exile in Revenge of the Sith we can’t help but wonder why Yoda is so lame.  We were told Yoda was a great warrior.  Apparently the way he shows that is by trying to stop a bad guy one time, failing, then just giving up and going off to die on a remote planet.

Apparently this is something Luke learned from his old master.  If things don’t go your way in the epic struggle against evil just leave.  Run away, give up, leave your friends to die, let your sister tirelessly fight alone without your help.  After all, you’re a Jedi, how could you possible help?  Why don’t you just drink blue milk out of the teat of some grumpy, vaguely humanoid alien for the rest of your life instead of standing up for what you believe in?  That’s the way of the Jedi.  Fight to the death?  No way!  That’s too dangerous!  It’s much easier to run away and feel sorry for yourself for the rest of your life.  That’s’s the classic hero’s journey.
I’m starting to think that a better ending for Obi-Wan in A New Hope would have been Obi-Wan simply sprinting down the hallway in the Death Star and jumping in an escape pod to get away from Darth Vader never to be seen again.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alternative blu-ray covers for 'The Last Jedi', for our talented roster of cover artists to play around with:

StarWars.com

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Garp said:
Alternative blu-ray covers for 'The Last Jedi', for our talented roster of cover artists to play around with:

StarWars.com

Covers were made by posing action figures and lego into dynamic poses then photographing them.

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Couldnt anyone play leia character if they are just going to super-impose carrie fishers face over theirs and digitally alter their voice? Seems like a waste of money paying for a high price actress if you are not going to hear their voice or see their face?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Leia issue has to be solved in the script, not in re-casting or CGI.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
The Leia issue has to be solved in the script, not in re-casting or CGI.

Perhaps that was lost in the last script...

Anyway, Disney has been adamant that they will not cgi Leia. Of course they were adamant about those Russian Solo posters too...

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Just read an interesting theory that Yoda speaks the way he does because he is 900-years old and that's the way people used to talk in his day.

Certainly if you went back 900-years and spoke to an English speaking person, you'd have a hard time understanding what they were saying (unless you did 'The Canterbury Tales' for your English exams :D ).

this makes sense. yoda’s a bright motherfucker, and with the exception of learning disabilities or extreme eccentricity, you’d imagine he would pick up the prevalent syntax and stick with it.

but here’s another possibility: the common tongue very likely wasn’t his native language, which could have had a gnarlier word order. i believe he would have spoken korean or japanese (or both) before learning english.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:

The rumors of Leia having a huge role in the first drafts of Episode IX (before Carrie's passing) are plenty.
If it's the case then they have only one solution: recasting (just... not Meryl Streep, please. She's good, I just don't like her most of the time. Personnal thing)

If they change the plan then they have several solutions:
- reducing the part of Leia and recast (but in this case no need to have a first class actress to play Leia, just have someone who can act and looks like Carrie)
- not having Leia in the movie at all (or on hologram, or as a silhouette, ).

Honnestly it all depends of the original idea they had. If it's a great story that NEEDS Leia to be involved and they can't find a new way to have a story as good without her... then recasting is the only option.
I try to put myself in this state of mind anyway because if that happens I prefer to be prepared, lol

Top Bottom