• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
Well, the novelisation for the Last Jedi came out recently and it explained how Ray was so good at using the Force. Too bad it's a stupid explanation, as it's explained here brilliantly: 

If it was up to me, then I would have made Ray a Jedi who had repressed memories. It would explain why she was so good at using the force in The Force Awakens. Oh wait, that would have made way too much sense. And if there's anything Disney does when it comes to Star Wars, it's making sure nothing makes any sense. 

You know, ever since I watched the Last Jedi. I re-watched Rouge One and the Force Awakens. The Force Awakens is even worse now than it was in 2015, as back then, it was a bad Star Wars movie that was almost completely unoriginal, had almost no good characters and didn't explain anything, so it could be explained in the sequels and expanded universe. But now, it's a bad Star Wars movie that is almost completely unoriginal, has almost no good characters and doesn't explain anything, and it's full of setup that is goes almost nowhere in the Last Jedi. 

As for Rouge One, I realised the only reason why I liked it so much back when I first watched it, is because it was no where the disappointment the Force Awakens was. But now, it's a film that has an awesome last act and nothing else. It's full of unmemorable characters and a forgettable first two acts.

I hate Disney Star Wars so much, that it's caused me to do 2 things:

1: I now like the prequels.

2: I have got into Star Wars Legends. 

And I don't regret any of those decisions. Why? Well:

1: Yes, the prequels are stupid, they too much CGI and they could have been so much better. But, at least their original, at least their fun to watch and they gave us some amazing expanded universe material. Speaking of which...

2: Legends is amazing! It does so much right, when compared to the Disney continuity. Let's look at the post ROTJ era: Han and Leia got married, had 3 children and never got divorced or separated. Luke successfully reestablished a new Jedi order (and fixed a lot of the issues with the old one), got married, had a son and only went into exile because he was forced to, and even then, he redeemed himself and ended his exile after not-too-long.

You know, I thought of a perfect comparison to what Disney Star Wars is. It's what the New 52 was. I would explain, but I'm too tired too explain right now, so I'll explain what I mean tomorrow.

It's "Rey."

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
In the article posted by Wilhelm Scream, the logic used by Lucasfilm doesn't make any sense to me:

"We had to get rid of the EU because we couldn't bear for Chewbacca to die...but now in the sequels we're killing off everyone else."

I mean, there are absolutely dramatically valid reasons to kill characters off. But saying that they had to get rid of the EU because it would be too upsetting to kill off a beloved character ... that's a head-scratcher in light of what they've done with the material themselves.

TVs Frink said:
wilhelm scream said:
Well, the novelisation for the Last Jedi came out recently and it explained how Ray was so good at using the Force. Too bad it's a stupid explanation, as it's explained here brilliantly: 

If it was up to me, then I would have made Ray a Jedi who had repressed memories. It would explain why she was so good at using the force in The Force Awakens. Oh wait, that would have made way too much sense. And if there's anything Disney does when it comes to Star Wars, it's making sure nothing makes any sense. 

You know, ever since I watched the Last Jedi. I re-watched Rouge One and the Force Awakens. The Force Awakens is even worse now than it was in 2015, as back then, it was a bad Star Wars movie that was almost completely unoriginal, had almost no good characters and didn't explain anything, so it could be explained in the sequels and expanded universe. But now, it's a bad Star Wars movie that is almost completely unoriginal, has almost no good characters and doesn't explain anything, and it's full of setup that is goes almost nowhere in the Last Jedi. 

As for Rouge One, I realised the only reason why I liked it so much back when I first watched it, is because it was no where the disappointment the Force Awakens was. But now, it's a film that has an awesome last act and nothing else. It's full of unmemorable characters and a forgettable first two acts.

I hate Disney Star Wars so much, that it's caused me to do 2 things:

1: I now like the prequels.

2: I have got into Star Wars Legends. 

And I don't regret any of those decisions. Why? Well:

1: Yes, the prequels are stupid, they too much CGI and they could have been so much better. But, at least their original, at least their fun to watch and they gave us some amazing expanded universe material. Speaking of which...

2: Legends is amazing! It does so much right, when compared to the Disney continuity. Let's look at the post ROTJ era: Han and Leia got married, had 3 children and never got divorced or separated. Luke successfully reestablished a new Jedi order (and fixed a lot of the issues with the old one), got married, had a son and only went into exile because he was forced to, and even then, he redeemed himself and ended his exile after not-too-long.

You know, I thought of a perfect comparison to what Disney Star Wars is. It's what the New 52 was. I would explain, but I'm too tired too explain right now, so I'll explain what I mean tomorrow.

It's "Rey."

Sorry, I hate Rey so much I forgot how to spell her name properly. Anyway, it's time to explain how Disney Star Wars is like the New 52.

I don't like the Force Awakens as I find it a cheap, unoriginal insult to the original trilogy. It does a disservice to the old characters, the new characters suck and it's full of setup and stuff that's never explained (like C-3PO'S red arm). Which is why the movie is worse now than it was in 2015, because now it's a film which is full of setup that has terrible payoffs, or no payoff at all.

Rouge One had an awesome third act, but the first 2 acts sucked and the characters are even more bland and forgettable then the characters in the Sequel Trilogy and I can honestly say that I didn't feel a thing when any of them died (except K-2SO and the Donnie Yen guy).

The best thing I can say about The Last Jedi is that it was very well made, the cast, for the most part, were really good overall, the music was really good and the action is really fun. However, I find it to be the worst of the Star Wars films with my biggest issues being the idiotic plot elements, the characters being even worse then they were in Awakens, plot elements that went nowhere and the treatment of the original trilogy characters that are even worse here then they were in Awakens.

The last three Star Wars films and the upcoming Solo spinoff movie all feel like either cheep knock offs of the original trilogy or just cheep cash grabs. Yes I know they have their fans and many of them like it because, to them, it feels more like the original Trilogy and that Star Wars is now good again because of it and they, and you if you're a fan of the Disney era films, are free to feel that way.

But I don't, and its not because I don't know how films actually work, or because I'm just some purist fan who wines every time things are even slightly different or that I just need to get use to the new and let the past die. All of these are things defenders of the Disney Era have said and all of them annoying me because they all say the same thing: The films are just fine there's just something wrong with you! A statement that the film makers seem to be sharing which is the main reason why I'm stepping away from the Star Wars films for the time being. Even George Lucas didn't pull this shit when he was being criticised for the Prequels and even admitted that the films were flawed.

But the makers of the new films, "Well you just clearly have no real taste and clearly only don't like it for, (insert stupid reason here)." Or things like, changing up the formula to the point of dividing the fanbase base to the point where even hard core fans are leaving the series is needed in order for Star Wars to survive as a franchise, or that the series needs new challenges and to let the past die and forget all that came before.

And you know the most damning thing of all is? I've heard ALL of this before. Every single word, more or less, has been said with another beloved franchise that took a darker turn and tried to pass off undoing decades of character development, turning once heroic figures into borderline villains and rehashing the past while claiming that they were doing it better and to let the past die.

It was DC's The New 52 and it was just as much BS then as it is now.

Seriously you can take the issues with The New 52 and direct it at Disney's Star Wars Era and you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. A optimistic hero who is made out to be more brooding in order to "Give him more of a personality" while ignoring everything that made that character a icon to begin with, Superman in the New 52, Luke in The Last Jedi.

And once compassionate leader who is made out to be more cynic and cold then she ever was in the original series and breaking her up with her long established love interest for no good reason and having her solve all her problems with violence removing all of the characters more diplomatic characteristics that she has become known for? New 52 Wonder Woman, Leia in The Disney Era.

A former lone hero who learned to be there for people he came to care for and putting aside his loner persona now becoming a loner yet again and has to be strong armed into working with others and save the day? Han in The Force Awakens and New 52 Batman.

Killing off characters both old and new more for shock value then actual story reason? That's pretty much the case for every Star Wars film since the Disney Era started, Han, Luke, the entire cast of Rogue One and will likely see that again in the near future. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they had planned to kill off Leia in Episode 9 The Search for More Money and I'm willing to bet that C-3P0, Chewie or R2 will be killed off because hey we have to do new things and let the past die.

And of course, rehashing old stories and trying to pass them off as something completely knew and better then the original only for close examination to reveal that everything that is being passed off as new and fresh was already done in older series and done better there.

The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi are pretty much just soft reboots of A New Hope & The Empire Strikes Back and the stories in the Anthology films have all been done in Star Wars Legends and, so far, was done better there. Replacing fan favorite Kyle Katarn with I honestly can't remember either of the lead characters names and I'm not going to bother looking them up.

Hell, even one of the biggest issues with the New 52 can be found in the Disney Era which is that no one respects or trusts one another. And Linkara's said it best in his review of Jaime Reye's Blue Beetle run during the New 52 and that issue is this. No one respects anyone, no one trusts anyone. They lie, cheat and show nothing but distrust and disdain for one another and when some does show respect, admiration or a desire to help someone else they are met with betrayal and aggression.

The other issue, and this has been pointed out by everyone who criticized The New 52 and the Newest Star Wars films, no one is allowed to be truly heroic anymore and when anyone tries to act like a hero they are quickly and pointlessly killed, for no other reason then because it will shock the fans only for that death to be rendered meaningless shortly after words.

In the end Star Wars is a story about redemption, hope and heroism just like DC is about fighting for Truth, Justice and Hope. Ideas that are scoffed at by the New 52 and the Disney Era as if those moments were something to be embarrassed about and that everything that you loved about the series should be left to die and never looked back upon.

Still there is always hope and just like there were good stories made during the New 52 there are good stories being made by the Disney era, even if it's just some of the novels and comics. They feel like Star Wars and the characters are really likeable, especially the Thrawn novel.

And in relation to DC's New 52, remember the New 52 didn't go on forever and eventually we got DC Rebirth which recapture what made us all love DC to begin with while also creating new stories and giving us some great bits of Character Rerailment with Superman acting like the kind and optimistic hero we all fell in love with, Wonder Woman rediscovering her compassion and becoming the spirit of truth once again and Batman moving away from his loner persona and working with others again and even proposing to Catwoman and her saying yes, (ABOUT TIME!).

Who knows, maybe one day Disney will just end up rebooting Episode 7, 8 and 9 and just make adaptations of the Thrawn Trilogy. Just get a new cast to play the classic characters, a director that can recapture the filing style of the original Trilogy and top notch writers who know how to adapted a novel to a proper film script.

I hope that this will happen because that's how it always happens, a franchise loses its magic for a little bit but eventually it finds its footing and it finds what makes us loved it in the first place as it realises that the past shouldn't be forgotten and that moving forward and looking back don't always have to be at odds and that continuing with established character development opens more doors then it closes.

With DC this took them five years but in the end it was worth it and I'm sure that this will be the same for Star Wars. So here's to the future.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
Sorry, I hate Rey so much I forgot how to spell her name properly. Anyway, it's time to explain how Disney Star Wars is like the New 52.

I don't like the Force Awakens as I find it a cheap, unoriginal insult to the original trilogy. It does a disservice to the old characters, the new characters suck and it's full of setup and stuff that's never explained (like C-3PO'S red arm). Which is why the movie is worse now than it was in 2015, because now it's a film which is full of setup that has terrible payoffs, or no payoff at all.

Rouge One had an awesome third act, but the first 2 acts sucked and the characters are even more bland and forgettable then the characters in the Sequel Trilogy and I can honestly say that I didn't feel a thing when any of them died (except K-2SO and the Donnie Yen guy).

The best thing I can say about The Last Jedi is that it was very well made, the cast, for the most part, were really good overall, the music was really good and the action is really fun. However, I find it to be the worst of the Star Wars films with my biggest issues being the idiotic plot elements, the characters being even worse then they were in Awakens, plot elements that went nowhere and the treatment of the original trilogy characters that are even worse here then they were in Awakens.

The last three Star Wars films and the upcoming Solo spinoff movie all feel like either cheep knock offs of the original trilogy or just cheep cash grabs. Yes I know they have their fans and many of them like it because, to them, it feels more like the original Trilogy and that Star Wars is now good again because of it and they, and you if you're a fan of the Disney era films, are free to feel that way.

But I don't, and its not because I don't know how films actually work, or because I'm just some purist fan who wines every time things are even slightly different or that I just need to get use to the new and let the past die. All of these are things defenders of the Disney Era have said and all of them annoying me because they all say the same thing: The films are just fine there's just something wrong with you! A statement that the film makers seem to be sharing which is the main reason why I'm stepping away from the Star Wars films for the time being. Even George Lucas didn't pull this shit when he was being criticised for the Prequels and even admitted that the films were flawed.

But the makers of the new films, "Well you just clearly have no real taste and clearly only don't like it for, (insert stupid reason here)." Or things like, changing up the formula to the point of dividing the fanbase base to the point where even hard core fans are leaving the series is needed in order for Star Wars to survive as a franchise, or that the series needs new challenges and to let the past die and forget all that came before.

And you know the most damning thing of all is? I've heard ALL of this before. Every single word, more or less, has been said with another beloved franchise that took a darker turn and tried to pass off undoing decades of character development, turning once heroic figures into borderline villains and rehashing the past while claiming that they were doing it better and to let the past die.

Seriously you can take the issues with The New 52 and direct it at Disney's Star Wars Era and you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. A optimistic hero who is made out to be more brooding in order to "Give him more of a personality" while ignoring everything that made that character a icon to begin with, Superman in the New 52, Luke in The Last Jedi.

And once compassionate leader who is made out to be more cynic and cold then she ever was in the original series and breaking her up with her long established love interest for no good reason and having her solve all her problems with violence removing all of the characters more diplomatic characteristics that she has become known for? New 52 Wonder Woman, Leia in The Disney Era.

A former lone hero who learned to be there for people he came to care for and putting aside his loner persona now becoming a loner yet again and has to be strong armed into working with others and save the day? Han in The Force Awakens and New 52 Batman.

Killing off characters both old and new more for shock value then actual story reason? That's pretty much the case for every Star Wars film since the Disney Era started, Han, Luke, the entire cast of Rogue One and will likely see that again in the near future. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they had planned to kill off Leia in Episode 9 The Search for More Money and I'm willing to bet that C-3P0, Chewie or R2 will be killed off because hey we have to do new things and let the past die.

And of course, rehashing old stories and trying to pass them off as something completely knew and better then the original only for close examination to reveal that everything that is being passed off as new and fresh was already done in older series and done better there.

The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi are pretty much just soft reboots of A New Hope & The Empire Strikes Back and the stories in the Anthology films have all been done in Star Wars Legends and, so far, was done better there. Replacing fan favorite Kyle Katarn with I honestly can't remember either of the lead characters names and I'm not going to bother looking them up.

Hell, even one of the biggest issues with the New 52 can be found in the Disney Era which is that no one respects or trusts one another. And Linkara's said it best in his review of Jaime Reye's Blue Beetle run during the New 52 and that issue is this. No one respects anyone, no one trusts anyone. They lie, cheat and show nothing but distrust and disdain for one another and when some does show respect, admiration or a desire to help someone else they are met with betrayal and aggression.

The other issue, and this has been pointed out by everyone who criticized The New 52 and the Newest Star Wars films, no one is allowed to be truly heroic anymore and when anyone tries to act like a hero they are quickly and pointlessly killed, for no other reason then because it will shock the fans only for that death to be rendered meaningless shortly after words.

In the end Star Wars is a story about redemption, hope and heroism just like DC is about fighting for Truth, Justice and Hope. Ideas that are scoffed at by the New 52 and the Disney Era as if those moments were something to be embarrassed about and that everything that you loved about the series should be left to die and never looked back upon.

Still there is always hope and just like there were good stories made during the New 52 there are good stories being made by the Disney era, even if it's just some of the novels and comics. They feel like Star Wars and the characters are really likeable, especially the Thrawn novel.

And in relation to DC's New 52, remember the New 52 didn't go on forever and eventually we got DC Rebirth which recapture what made us all love DC to begin with while also creating new stories and giving us some great bits of Character Rerailment with Superman acting like the kind and optimistic hero we all fell in love with, Wonder Woman rediscovering her compassion and becoming the spirit of truth once again and Batman moving away from his loner persona and working with others again and even proposing to Catwoman and her saying yes, (ABOUT TIME!).

Who knows, maybe one day Disney will just end up rebooting Episode 7, 8 and 9 and just make adaptations of the Thrawn Trilogy. Just get a new cast to play the classic characters, a director that can recapture the filing style of the original Trilogy and top notch writers who know how to adapted a novel to a proper film script.

I hope that this will happen because that's how it always happens, a franchise loses its magic for a little bit but eventually it finds its footing and it finds what makes us loved it in the first place as it realises that the past shouldn't be forgotten and that moving forward and looking back don't always have to be at odds and that continuing with established character development opens more doors then it closes.

With DC this took them five years but in the end it was worth it and I'm sure that this will be the same for Star Wars. So here's to the future.

giphy.gif

Jesus... Can't believe I was actually in this camp a short while ago.

I'm so glad I gave the recent movies a rewatch because now I love The Force Awakens even more than when I first saw it, I always quite liked Rogue One and I love The Last Jedi.

Seriously mate; if you give the movies a second chance and at least try to understand what the story means and what the character arcs are about... I think you'll at least appreciate what they're trying to do.

And keep in mind, this is coming from someone who actually kinda likes the Prequels.

So... make of that what you will.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don’t think any of the Disney era films have been horrible. And, unlike the PT, all have been made into what I consider very good movies through fan editing. Once edited, I find Rogue One to be by far the best, followed by the edited TLJ. The edited TFA is much better, but for me, it still suffers from the whole Starkiller plot device and there’s not much to be done about that. Still, color me pleased so far.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hated that post so much I called you william scream.

(Just kidding I didn't bother reading it)

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok guys  I still haven't seen Episode 08 yet and I'm not aware of anymore spin-offs in the pipeline after the Solo movie. I really can't see them giving it a rest for long given the whole expanded universe thing every studio is desperate for nowadays. Where will this go after episode 09 in your opinion?

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^well blimey that one completely passed me by as a casual viewer to the newer SW movies (love iv and v though). I'm not blind to the fact ep8 hasn't gone down well though generally despite the positive critical response, surely Disney will be re-evaluating that planned direction now...

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I seriously doubt they are re-evaluating.

TLJ made over 1.3B.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
They also gave the Game of Thrones guys a new “series” of movies.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
I seriously doubt they are re-evaluating.

TLJ made over 1.3B.
True but I think a Uwe Boll helmed Star Wars movie would probably make the billion mark too :D

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
They gave Rian Johnson a whole new trilogy.

http://www.slashfilm.com/new-star-wars-trilogy-details-2/

(Random link chosen, there's probably better ones out there.)

I suspect these kind of announcements are sometimes just marketing ploys. "We are so confident in (insert name of film) and (insert name of Director) that we've already given them loads more properties to develop (which we can always cancel later)".

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
In the article posted by Wilhelm Scream, the logic used by Lucasfilm doesn't make any sense to me:

"We had to get rid of the EU because we couldn't bear for Chewbacca to die...but now in the sequels we're killing off everyone else."

I mean, there are absolutely dramatically valid reasons to kill characters off. But saying that they had to get rid of the EU because it would be too upsetting to kill off a beloved character ... that's a head-scratcher in light of what they've done with the material themselves.

Masirimso17 said:
wilhelm scream said:

giphy.gif

Jesus... Can't believe I was actually in this camp a short while ago.

I'm so glad I gave the recent movies a rewatch because now I love The Force Awakens even more than when I first saw it, I always quite liked Rogue One and I love The Last Jedi.

Seriously mate; if you give the movies a second chance and at least try to understand what the story means and what the character arcs are about... I think you'll at least appreciate what they're trying to do.

And keep in mind, this is coming from someone who actually kinda likes the Prequels.

So... make of that what you will.

Well, I took your advice, went to a friends house and watched all of the Disney Star Wars films (since he owns all of them and I'm not going to give Disney any more of my money than I have to.

The Force Awakens: I can see that they were trying to remind fans of what made Star Wars so good in the first place. But, they missed the mark completely. The film is unoriginal in about everything it does, it completely ruins the happy ending of the original trilogy, ruins the original characters, the new characters suck (except Poe, and I can't figure out why I like him. I guess it's because he's the smartest character in the movie) and they don't bother to explain anything (seriously? what is up with C3PO's red arm!?).

Also, they were only thinking short-term. Long-term, it's only gotten worse because of the Last Jedi completely ruining the setup (but that;s for later).

Rouge One: The characters are bland and boring (and the only 2 I remember are because of the actors), the first 2 acts suck and while the third act is awesome, it cannot make up for the first 2. I don't understand what the movie is trying to do (other than tell a story that was already told MUCH better in Legends) and the characters have no arcs because  of how bad they are.

The Last Jedi: The movie is a mess, the characters are even worse than they were in Awakens, the plot is a just a rearranged version of Empire Strikes Back, with the throne room scene from Return of the Jedi thrown in. The only original material is the Canto Bright stuff, and everybody knows how bad it was. The movie is trying to be a sequel to Awakens, but is failing miserably (as it has TERRIBLE payoffs to stuff setup in Awakens. For example: Rey's parents. All she did in Awakens (other than being a Mary-Sue), was whine about her parents and for it to be revealed that they were nobody, just leaves me wondering 'What was the point of it being such a big deal?' Maybe Kylo was lying, but until episode 9 comes out, I'm not changing my mind).

And I like the prequels. Oh sure, there stupid. But their fun to watch because of the unintentionally hilarious dialogue and performances, and amazing Legends expanded universe material is gave us (e.g. the 2003-2005 Clone Wars animated series. It's much better than the CGI one).

Speaking of Legends, I hated the Last Jedi so much that it caused me to delve into legends material, and I don't regret it.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If we could all stop quoting the humongous wall of text, that would be great.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’d rather listen to this from start to finish rather than read any of that wall of text. 

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
I just realised, almost everybody on this site hates me.

Ha! No, but you’ve taken a rather harsh approach to movies that many of us like and even love in some cases. And doing so by comparing the PT and Legends favorably to them isn’t a popular opinion around here. But you’re certainly entitled to it.

Top Bottom