• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So Rebels is over. 

qj6mPSc.gif

tqB3zoE.gif

Can we finally get a good Star Wars cartoon, or is Dave Filoni still involved?

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Reaction from Rebels fans at io9/AV Club to its finale has been glowing, but...

Yeah, they didn't have the balls to kill Ashoka and Ezra before the events of ANH, let alone at all, because of course they didn't. When RotJ Yoda said "there is another," he apparently could have meant either of them as well as Leia. Or maybe he was thinking of someone else to be introduced in Filon's next cartoon show, taking place during the OT. Or maybe he was just a senile, weird-dicked old coot by then. Who knows?

Filoni recently said, "So many people were obsessed with everybody dying [on this show]. I was really bewildered by it because I’ve seen the original trilogy of Star Wars that people like so much and it’s not like a death count type of movie." Well, yeah, genius. There was kind of an implicit promise that the story of the OT and its heroes were so special because it's the one happy thread in a yarn full of death and misery, and to introduce a bunch of other bands of merry fighters without having them go down in flames dilutes that. Then again, we know from the ST that Luke, Leia, and Han ended up being miserable and complete failures, so maybe this fits with the Lucasfilm Story Group's overarching theme of pissing on the OT OGs. :p

I haven't seen S3 yet (Netflix DVD has it on Very Long Wait), so I'm not sure how I'll feel about this when all's said and done, provided I even bother to do so, because at the moment, I'm finding it hard to care.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked the series final of Rebels all right. I just think that whole show was a lot of the same things over and over again with some very good highlights here and there. Glad it's over even if I recognize some good in it.

I don't feel that the fact that some characters still being alive during the OT period without being in the OT movies is a problem. I mean, it's like people complaining that the Avengers don't show up to save the day in Ant-Man. The focus is on another story that's it.
I like coherence and being faithful to canon as much as the next fan, but those are stories made for entertainment, not historical documentaries.
With so many movies and series coming our way, of course the story of Luke, Han and Leia will not be seen as so special in the overal universe. As fans we just have to pick and chose what we like most. It's not that bad.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ach that was... that wasn't good.

I liked the episodes preceding it, but the actual "ending" was fuckin weak. That was just an advert for the next Filoni show, guaranteed to be set after Return of the Jedi, when it's safe for canon to bring back the gang. It was so contrived it hurt.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

^ Magnificent! (Shame it's a bit synthy though).

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spoilers for TLJ novelisation, and possibly anything else.

This is the first sentence. Thoughts?
“Luke Skywalker stood in the cooling sands of Tatooine, his wife by his side.”

Excerpt From: Jason Fry. “The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition.” iBooks. 

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
TM2YC said:
Masirimso17 said:
TM2YC said:
...or making just one change to one of my favourite movies: Removing Leia being Luke's sister from ROTJ.

But why?

Let's not get too far off topic into a big Star Wars discussion but in short... so all the romantic Luke/Leia/Han tension from SW and (to a lesser extent) ESB doesn't feel off and because it makes no sense as written in ROTJ (For reasons to complicated to go into here).

Gotcha. Could you go into detail in the Star Wars thread?

Sure.

First thing I should say... I consider the OT canon, so by definition, I don't consider the PT canon because they contradict each other and since only one can be true, I'd prefer it was the good one, the one that came first. So whatever the PT had to say on the origins of Luke and Leia is not important to the following thoughts on this subject.

In the Ewok village scene in ROTJ Luke and Leia say about their mother(s)...

Leia: "She died when I was very young"
Luke: "I never knew her"

Yet they have the same mother? Leia's mother raised her on Alderaan as part of the Royal family but was totally fine with her other kid Luke being dumped into obscurity on a sh*thole like Tatooine. Did she not like Luke?  :D  To hide Leia from Vader, her name was changed to Organa but Luke keeping his Skywalker name was just fine, even though he was left with his biological Uncle and Aunt in plain sight? That's if Luke and Leia were their original names? Because Vader has no knowledge of Luke having a sister, so he wasn't there at the birth to learn their names, except he does know about Luke, somehow?

Then you've got the whole thing of Vader being obsessed with finding Luke because of his force powers (but not Leia, even though she "has that power too"). You might say, well how about Luke was older than Leia, so Vader was there at his birth and knew about him. Leia came later after Vader had left their mother (and gone fully evil) and she had fled to Alderaan, so she remained "safely anonymous". But if that was true, why was it more important to hide the already "anonymous" Leia under a different name, with a different family? Of course all of that is ignoring the fact that ROTJ says Luke and Leia are "twins".

Thinking about it makes my head hurt but it's not something I ever thought about until after seeing the total hash GL made of this part of the backstory in ROTS. I then started to wonder "Well, what would the backstory be?" but I can never think of one that adequately explains the situation as described in ROTJ and fits all of the facts. GL probably made such a hash of it because he couldn't think of an explanation either. Luke and Leia being brother and sister is still a bad idea because of all the romantic feelings Luke had for her. It could have worked as a concept I suppose but not if they were twins. I can't think why a mother would abandon one twin but not the other. It's not like she didn't have enough space-dollars to raise two kids as a single parent, she was royalty.

In reality, I'm pretty sure the 'Luke & Leia are twins' thing was just some nonsense GL put into ROTJ so it would have a similar impact to the Vader revelation in ESB. A huge chunk of the SW mythos is built around this element now, so we are stuck with it. Hence why I said it was one thing I'd change about ROTJ (which is one of my favourite movies) in the other thread.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
In reality, I'm pretty sure the 'Luke & Leia are twins' thing was just some nonsense GL put into ROTJ so it would have a similar impact to the Vader revelation in ESB. 

This.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, the novelisation for the Last Jedi came out recently and it explained how Ray was so good at using the Force. Too bad it's a stupid explanation, as it's explained here brilliantly: 

If it was up to me, then I would have made Ray a Jedi who had repressed memories. It would explain why she was so good at using the force in The Force Awakens. Oh wait, that would have made way too much sense. And if there's anything Disney does when it comes to Star Wars, it's making sure nothing makes any sense. 

You know, ever since I watched the Last Jedi. I re-watched Rouge One and the Force Awakens. The Force Awakens is even worse now than it was in 2015, as back then, it was a bad Star Wars movie that was almost completely unoriginal, had almost no good characters and didn't explain anything, so it could be explained in the sequels and expanded universe. But now, it's a bad Star Wars movie that is almost completely unoriginal, has almost no good characters and doesn't explain anything, and it's full of setup that is goes almost nowhere in the Last Jedi. 

As for Rouge One, I realised the only reason why I liked it so much back when I first watched it, is because it was no where the disappointment the Force Awakens was. But now, it's a film that has an awesome last act and nothing else. It's full of unmemorable characters and a forgettable first two acts.

I hate Disney Star Wars so much, that it's caused me to do 2 things:

1: I now like the prequels.

2: I have got into Star Wars Legends. 

And I don't regret any of those decisions. Why? Well:

1: Yes, the prequels are stupid, they too much CGI and they could have been so much better. But, at least their original, at least their fun to watch and they gave us some amazing expanded universe material. Speaking of which...

2: Legends is amazing! It does so much right, when compared to the Disney continuity. Let's look at the post ROTJ era: Han and Leia got married, had 3 children and never got divorced or separated. Luke successfully reestablished a new Jedi order (and fixed a lot of the issues with the old one), got married, had a son and only went into exile because he was forced to, and even then, he redeemed himself and ended his exile after not-too-long.

You know, I thought of a perfect comparison to what Disney Star Wars is. It's what the New 52 was. I would explain, but I'm too tired too explain right now, so I'll explain what I mean tomorrow.

skyled

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
 Luke and Leia being brother and sister is still a bad idea because of all the romantic feelings Luke had for her. It could have worked as a concept I suppose but not if they were twins.

Well this is actually not as strange as you might think.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_sexual_attraction

Although I'm sure Lucas didn't consider this and just threw the idea out there for a surprise.

Top Bottom