• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, the logical choice would have been to hire them for the TV Series.
So, for now we have SEVEN movies officialy announced. Not counting another possible stand alone.
It looks more and more as if we're gonna have two Star Wars movies per year, and I don't know what to think about it.

EDIT: ok they are not really talking about a new trilogy, but about a series of movies... So we don't know how many exactly.

Detective

Reaction score
Trophy Points
When I first heard the news, I was hoping that the GoT guys would be taking over the trilogy from Rian Johnson...

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good call, TMBTM! Lucasfilm just says "series" of films. They don't actually use the word "trilogy."

And the same day, Lucasfilm announced that there are multiple TV series in development. It's not clear if they're animated or live-action. I think / hope they mean that they're developing multiple ideas and trying to figure out which one they want to take all the way to the finish line, rather than saying we'll have 20 Star Wars shows on the air at the same time.

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/02/06/star-wars-tv-series-multiple-in-development/

BTW, of the Twitter reactions I've seen to the GoT announcement, this was the funniest one: 

Blake Schultz‏ 
@AsAlwaysBlake

What are the Game of Thrones writers going to bring to Star Wars?  The siblings already kissed, and the beloved characters are dead.... #starwars #GameOfThrones

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
But maybe all the problems that Rogue One and Solo went through have caused Kathleen Kennedy to swear off any more standalones.

That would be pretty funny, if true. :p

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know, I'm guessing if nothing else counting all the Rogue One money keeps her going.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
I don't know, I'm guessing if nothing else counting all the Rogue One money keeps her going.

Well, she's not going to stop making Star Wars, obviously. But the question at hand is why she's officially greenlit two new movie series without announcing another standalone to go in between them, especially when rumblings six months ago indicated that an announcement was near. And I think the production problems on both, plus the negative buzz for Solo, might mean that Kennedy doesn't even want to deal with any more of these, at least for the time being.

And this is coming from someone who loved Rogue One and is really looking forward to Solo.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
TVs Frink said:

Well, she's not going to stop making Star Wars, obviously. But the question at hand is why she's officially greenlit two new movie series without announcing another standalone to go in between them, especially when rumblings six months ago indicated that an announcement was near. And I think the production problems on both, plus the negative buzz for Solo, might mean that Kennedy doesn't even want to deal with any more of these, at least for the time being.

And this is coming from someone who loved Rogue One and is really looking forward to Solo.
Where did the term “stand-alone” even come from? I’m sure they would’ve made another Rogue One movie had the movie had room for a sequel. And you can bet they’ll do another Solo movie if that one is successful. I’ve always viewed the strategy as there’s the Skywalker Saga and then there’s everything else. So I see the two new movie series that they’ve announced as part of what people refer to as “stand-alone” movies.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the "problems" with Rogue One are being blown way out of proportion. Gareth made a great film, and I think she really enjoyed working with him.

Maybe the execs got a little twitchy about it not being quite Star-Warsy enough, but that's still hearsay. The reshoot ordeal was probably overexaggerated.

I would not compare the production of Rogue One to Solo at all. There shouldn't be an inherent fear of making stand alone films. They should however shy away from making unnecessary fan-wanky backstory pieces like Solo or Fett. I still think even an Obi-Wan movie is a terrible idea. There is a LOT of room in the Star Wars universe. Explore it...

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Where did the term “stand-alone” even come from? I’m sure they would’ve made another Rogue One movie had the movie had room for a sequel. And you can bet they’ll do another Solo movie if that one is successful. I’ve always viewed the strategy as there’s the Skywalker Saga and then there’s everything else. So I see the two new movie series that they’ve announced as part of what people refer to as “stand-alone” movies.

To me Rian Johnson's new trilogy is a standalone trilogy, indeed.

Standalone is the word everyone used when Lucasfilm said they were making separate movies from the main saga. Later they called them Anthology" movies and everyone was happy with it, and later they changed and called them "Star Wars Stories" and everyone found it stupid.
So to me everything that is not the main episodic saga is a "standalone story"; being told in one movie or more, having the "Star Wars Story" label or not.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dkssbjsit9c01.png

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Impressive, most impressive.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Never been a huge Rebels fan but episodes 12 and 13 were great.
Maybe BECAUSE it remembered me a bit of that crazyness and imagination that I liked in Clone Wars and that Rebels lacks so much.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't blame him. It's got to be getting pretty old, and there's only so many motifs you can personally create based around the same classic themes. It must be a challenge to keep it fresh. 

Will probably be a good idea to see what others can bring to the table.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree.  I appreciate John Williams’ elegancy and sense of ending, and I sincerely feel the saga should come to an end.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Never been a huge Rebels fan but episodes 12 and 13 were great.
Maybe BECAUSE it remembered me a bit of that crazyness and imagination that I liked in Clone Wars and that Rebels lacks so much.

Too bad we had to wait through entire seasons worth of "Infiltrate Base. Knock out Stormtroopers and don their uniform. Escape without any difficulty or need for violence outside of elbowing people." to get to that

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Impressive, most impressive.

Truly. Reminds me of the fantastic Claudia Grey "Lost Stars" cover.

The same guy also posted a v2 recently, similarly very impressive.

Top Bottom