• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Also, I've added spoilers to both of your posts because it reveals a major TLJ plot point and this is the general SW thread.  Please be more careful in the future.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
irkboog0s9b01.png

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^About 20 years late on The Simpsons...

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Also, I've added spoilers to both of your posts because it reveals a major TLJ plot point and this is the general SW thread.  Please be more careful in the future.

Oops! Sorry. 

I saw my comment as referring just to an old, outdated novel, but now that you say it, I can see your point. To quote Obi-Wan, "We must be cautious" (in the future). :) 

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I found the writing to be tedious. I persisted simply because I was led to believe this was the sequel Lucas had mapped out. I don’t I know why I thought that; perhaps just that it was the first (?) books set after Jedi that featured the OT characters? Perhaps I should give them another go.

That bolded part is correct, yes - as is, IMHO, the idea which follows it. ;)

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Beat Saber (looks like a cross between star wars and guitar hero)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Detective said:
Curious what you guys think about my understanding of the Force...

I probably need more training.

I didn't read everything but I like how he's explaining that in ROTJ Luke wins by refusing to fight and later we see in Last Jedi that he wins basicaly by... not fighting again.
I would also add that in ROTJ, when Luke refuses to fight the Emperor, he... wait for it... TOSS his lightsaber away (!)
;)

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As a french guy I didn't remember that Carrie Fisher spoke french that good, she's like 19 or 20 in this short video and she speaks pretty good french. She's so lovely here.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Wow. Another new series of films announced. This time for the GoT showrunners. 

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/s...-new-films-david-benioff-db-weiss-1202689489/

Yeah, that's the most astonishing news of the day.

Why astonishing, you ask? These guys have a great reputation, after all. Well, it's astonishing because one would think that Lucasfilm would wait for one trilogy to be done or at least partway through before announcing the next one. We're not even done with the sequel trilogy; Rian Johnson hasn't shot one frame of his follow-up trilogy; and now we've got another trilogy announced beyond that.

(And the news I read made it clear that they aren't taking over Rian Johnson's trilogy; they're doing another new one.)

Meanwhile, we still don't have any official confirmation of the next standalone movie. Variety announced back in August that they had heard rumblings of an Obi-Wan movie (the same ones announcing the GoT creators' trilogy). Variety has a very good reputation for accuracy, but the "sources" that they mentioned never made an official announcement. 

We were expecting to hear an announcement about Obi-Wan or whatever the next standalone film turned out to be either way, but we just got crickets chirping. And then this news -- which no one was expecting -- gets a straight-up confirmation on StarWars.com.

Mind you, none of this is bad -- just surprising.

I am starting to wonder if the next standalone has just simply been canceled at this point. It seems like it would have made more sense to continue doing standalones in between the trilogy installments. But maybe all the problems that Rogue One and Solo went through have caused Kathleen Kennedy to swear off any more standalones.

Of course, as with anything, one can see potential issues, which are not the same as real concrete issues, just fun/interesting things to speculate about:

1) Rian Johnson is already known for turning in dark and gritty stories. Both Looper and TLJ fit that bill. I presume his new trilogy will be  more of the same. Does it make sense to hire another creative team also known for making dark and gritty stories? It seems like it would make sense to do a different movie (or series of movies) with a lighter, more crowd-pleasing tone, since a lot of people associate that with Star Wars more than the darker stuff.

It's possible that the GoT producers want to break from tradition and not be pigeonholed, deliberately choosing to do something lighter. But I assume part of the reason why Lucasfilm hired them in the first place is so they could basically market the movies as "Star Wars done Game of Thrones-style," which should pack people in the theater.

2) StarWars.com cites Benioff and Weiss as the creators of Game of Thrones. While it's true that they developed the TV series, the actual creator of GoT is, of course, R. R. Martin. Benioff and Weiss have shown that they know how to adapt a story in a way that makes the fans happy, but this wouldn't be adaptation, it would be creating something new (although admittedly playing within a very well established fictional universe). I wonder how much difference that's going to make in the final product.

3) If they had been hired as the showrunners of the upcoming live-action TV series coming to Disney's new streaming platform, that would be less surprising to me. But apparently there's going to be a live-action TV show, another animated series following Rebels, and two new trilogies. As an old-school fan who's used to having to wait three years between installments and then decades between trilogies, I am a little concerned about viewer burnout. (To be fair, though, it used to feel like there weren't enough Star Wars movies, and that certainly won't be a problem now.)

I must again heavily emphasize that these things pique my curiosity, but I'm not an angry raging fanboy about them. Metaphorically speaking, I just got told that Michael Jordan got hired for my favorite basketball team. That's a good thing, and I want to show a proper level of gratitude for that. My concerns are small, and hopefully none of them will be realized. I plan to keep an open mind. Everything mentioned above are just random thoughts that occurred to me when I first heard the announcement -- no more, no less.  :D

Top Bottom