• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't know if Mark Hamill was just covering his ass or not, but he did attempt to clarify his remarks on "fundamentally disagreeing with everything" Rian did with Luke.

“Rian Johnson is an amazing filmmaker, and if you look at Brick or Brothers Bloom or Looper, each film is different from the last one and they’re so inventive. I think people will be pleased and surprised, I know I was. I got in trouble, because I was quoted as saying to Rian that I fundamentally disagree with everything you decided about Luke, and it was inartfully phrased. What I was, was surprised at how he saw Luke. And it took me a while to get around to his way of thinking, but once I was there it was a thrilling experience. I hope it will be for the audience too.”

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points

At Screen Junkies' Movie Fights (with Mr.
Sunday Movies as guest) they proposed Steven Spielberg, Patty Jenkins and Matthew Vaughn. Very interesting argument to see. Would they be a good pick?

What about James Gunn if he's not busy? I think it would be a great choice, though the GotG-esque humor most probably wouldn't fit and has to be put to balance.

I do think that J.J. or Rian Johnson coming back is the best choice.

About Boba, I feel like we didn't get to see him in his prime yet. In ESB he was cool in that he single handedly tracked down the Falcon and gave them to the Empire. Short, but sweet. But I wish I could see some SW bounty hunter action instead of wasted in RotJedi, a ruined backstory, an even more underwhelming father (despite a dope rain fight) and a cancelled movie. He has potential, imho.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVsFrink: I did read Hammill's follow-up remarks (although it was worth adding that to the discussion in this thread). That's part of why I'm still looking forward to The Last Jedi. But when the majority of people seem to want Johnson to step in when we haven't even seen TLJ, I have to say I'm still just a little bit nervous. 

Masirimso17: Patty Jenkins would probably do an excellent job, based on what I've heard about Wonder Woman. (I desperately want to see it, although I haven't had the chance.) However, Wonder Woman 2 is due in 2019, and if the first one is as good as everyone says, I would want them to keep the same creative vision and not to have get, say, Brett Ratner to do the next one.  :D

James Gunn would totally work, since he's directed lighthearted space adventures; however, GotG 3 is probably going to be released in 2020, so he'd be too busy as well.

(These are, of course, just my opinions.) 

Matthew Vaughn is an interesting and exciting choice. I'm really surprised that Fox hasn't brought him back to do any more X-Men films.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Johnson was my favorite choice of the original five directors (Abrams, Edwards, Johnson, Trank, Treverrow). While I haven't seen TLJ I'm encouraged by the fact that it has been a drama free production. I don't want Abrams. Flat out didn't like most of what he did with TFA and feel he is pretty terrible at endings.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think Abrams is a great TV and frenetic action movie director, but there isn't much there in terms of originality.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
my candidate for episode IX director: bak chanuk/park chanwook.

imagine this hammer as a lightsaber:

oldboy2003.jpg

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Think the director for the raid 1&2 would be a good choice

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Someone I haven't seen suggested is Peter Jackson. Is he up to anything at the moment?

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
to prove my point that "the raid 2 " director would be a good choic for lightsaber fights/duels 

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
Someone I haven't seen suggested is Peter Jackson. Is he up to anything at the moment?

he would have the main character sliding down things (i  lost count over the lotr franchise how many times legolas was sliding down things.at one point he was sliding down things while standing on things)

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:

Not a bad choice, but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't go to another big budget movie franchise like Star Wars after the forced, rushed and tiring production of the Hobbit. If he wasn't burned out we would already have gotten Tintin 2.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Matthew Vaughan, like Lord and Miller, and Edgar Wright, is a director I love, who probably would not get hired, but if he did, would probably leave over creative differences.

I'd like to see a Guillermo Del Toro spinoff film, but he stops more projects than... something that drops lots of things by nature.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
I'd like to see a Guillermo Del Toro spinoff film, but he stops more projects than... something that drops lots of things by nature.

Agreed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't his abandoning the Hobbit is the reason it wasn't as good as it could have been. Course Warner was the greedy one that didn't change the deadline, but Del Toro is the one that caused the turmoil in the first place. Though kind of off topic, it shows that Del Toro is risky for SW.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What about Alex Garland? I absolutely loved Ex Machina and he obviously already has a relationship with Isaac and Gleeson. I'd bet he would do a bang up job on that script too. Obviously, he has limited experience as a director (especially for a big budget action/effects tentpole), but so too did Johnson.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
What about Alex Garland? I absolutely loved Ex Machina and he obviously already has a relationship with Isaac and Gleeson. I'd bet he would do a bang up job on that script too. Obviously, he has limited experience as a director (especially for a big budget action/effects tentpole), but so too did Johnson.

^ this. garland would give us probably the most thoughtful SW movie of the bunch.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
^ this. garland would give us probably the most thoughtful SW movie of the bunch.

Which is exactly why he won't be hired...

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
They really should try to branch out with some smaller films featuring original characters that are less risk to the brand. Star Wars is strong enough we could just see a Star Destroyer, some Stormtroopers, or some familiar alien species walking around in the background, to some stories not attached to the Episodes at all. These directors would be perfect for that.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My biggest issue with this news is all the complaining that is incoming.

Top Bottom