• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd welcome Abrams back in a heartbeat.  I'd love to see Gareth Edwards tackle a real episode, too.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:

Good. I hated Jurassic World.

matrixgrindhouse said:
I'd welcome Abrams back in  a heartbeat.  I'd love to see Gareth Edwards tackle a real episode, too.

Wasn't Edwards pretty much dropped during post and another director came in and did extensive reshoots?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Regarding Trevorrow, I liked Jurassic World, but didn't love it. I heard the Book of Henry was embarrassingly bad. This decision seems logical.

The Han Solo film losing its directors seemed less logical.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I must watch 'The Book of Henry' sometime out of morbid curiosity. It must have been pretty damn bad to eat up all the goodwill Trevorrow had from directing/writing the 1.7bn mega hit that was Jurassic World.

I'd like to see JJ Abrams back to finish out the new trilogy. He knew how to make a film that felt deep down like classic SW (regardless of any criticism that might be made of surface details... and I have few of those).

His tendency to rehash was what did in TFA for me. I'm curious to see how The Last Jedi  is. If it's good I'd like to see Johnson do them back to back.

Edit: looks like this is a possibility. 

http://deadline.com/2017/09/rian-jo...r-wars-episode-ix-colin-trevorrow-1202162109/

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
matrixgrindhouse said:
I'd love to see Gareth Edwards tackle a real episode, too.

Wasn't Edwards pretty much dropped during post and another director came in and did extensive reshoots?

Probable but then all the bad bits of R1 were the reshoots and the great stuff was Edwards.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
judgmentalpigeon said:
*clears throat*
I think Josh Trank is still available.

Too bad Ady just began production of RotJ:R....:)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:

And yet still more logical than hiring them in the first place.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
I'd like to see JJ Abrams back to finish out the new trilogy.

Ergh, no thanks. I don't need an Episode IX that mainly rehashes both RotJ (which rehashes ANH) and RotS. It sounds as though Rian Johnson has a unique vision for The Last Jedi, so assuming he's doing good work, he seems like the clear choice to me. In retrospect, fast-tracking a trilogy with three completely different directors was an odd move, and probably a recipe for confusion - and I'm one of those who loves Jurassic World.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
TM2YC said:
I'd like to see JJ Abrams back to finish out the new trilogy.

Ergh, no thanks. I don't need an Episode IX that mainly rehashes both RotJ (which rehashes ANH) and RotS. It sounds as though Rian Johnson has a unique vision for The Last Jedi, so assuming he's doing good work, he seems like the clear choice to me. In retrospect, fast-tracking a trilogy with three completely different directors was an odd move, and probably a recipe for confusion - and I'm one of those who loves Jurassic World.

As I said earlier, I'm for Johnson fonishing the trilogy (unless the next one ends up being really bad), but I'm not so sure he has a unique vision. This seems to be he rough outline for the plot (spoiler tags probably not necessary, but just in case):
- Young Jedi-in-training trains in a remote, isolated location with an older Jedi master

- Meanwhile the other heroes go on their own adventures. 

- Bad guy and master bad guy seek out the young Jedi-in-training. 

- Jedi-in-training leaves isolated training locale to confront bad guy.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
addiesin said:

Agreed, their style really don't fit with the character and his implied backstory.

Then again I don't think a Han Solo movie is a good idea anyway. It's a lose-lose situation. If you make Han grow as a character, you make him inconsistent with how he's this egotistical, devil-may-care smuggler at the beginning of the original Star Wars, and in turn weaken all his development in the movie and the entire original trilogy, just like Greedo shooting first. If you stay consistent, you end up with an unlikable, static protagonist. It's very difficult to strike a balance between the two, making him a compelling character but also consistent with how he is at the beginning of the original Star Wars.

About Trevorrow, I heard his latest film The Book of Henry wasn't very good, and I hated Jurassic World too. Glad he's off the picture (no offense to the guy, I'm sure he's a nice person, but it was a good business decision).

image.jpg

I agree that Rian Johnson returning would make the most of sense. I'm ok with J.J. returning as well, because 1) Rian Johnson's script is probably very unique and great, something that J.J.'s visual skills would complement very well, and 2) I really like The Force Awakens very much again, despite being too familiar due to Death Star 3.0 (the other similarities don't bother me anymore). Please ignore the crazy me from before who wrote that angry review.

Moe_Syzlak said:
As I said earlier, I'm for Johnson fonishing the trilogy (unless the next one ends up being really bad), but I'm not so sure he has a unique vision. This seems to be he rough outline for the plot (spoiler tags probably not necessary, but just in case):
- Young Jedi-in-training trains in a remote, isolated location with an older Jedi master

- Meanwhile the other heroes go on their own adventures. 

- Bad guy and master bad guy seek out the young Jedi-in-training. 

- Jedi-in-training leaves isolated training locale to confront bad guy.

There are definitely warning signs from the trailer and basic outline and stuff, but Rian Johnson has said several times that even though the basic outline is inevitably similar (like poetry, it rhymes  :p ), the film is going to be different, unexpected, surprising etc. And the cast and crew have confirmed that. EC Henry's video below talks about it. But we'll see how it'll really be when it comes out this December.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What he says is exactly what happened with TFA. It's not Tatooine, it's Jakku. It's not, orphan young boy, it's an orphan young girl. It's not the son trying to redeem the father, it's the father trying to redeem the son. It's not the Death Star, it's the Star Killer.   Etc etc. so forgive me when he says it's not Hoth it's Krait, etc.  that I'd be a little skeptical. And I AM still optimistic about this movie.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
We know that George's 'outline'/'notes'/'whatever' were dismissed when J.J. first kicked this new trilogy off...but I'm amazed that the gameplan for this mega-budget 'continuation' of the original trilogy went ahead in such a 'we'll make everything up as we go along' fashion, if Rian Johnson's latest comments are anything to go by - www.darkhorizons.com/johnson-on-star-wars-freedom-pre-planning/

Obviously, the likes of Carrie's sad loss was unforeseen as far as any storyline involving her character goes...but did they really start all this off without any kind of idea of where things end up for everyone?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ImperialFighter said:
We know that George's 'outline'/'notes'/'whatever' were dismissed when J.J. first kicked this new trilogy off...but I'm amazed that the gameplan for this mega-budget 'continuation' of the original trilogy went ahead in such a 'we'll make everything up as we go along' fashion, if Rian Johnson's latest comments are anything to go by - www.darkhorizons.com/johnson-on-star-wars-freedom-pre-planning/

Obviously, the likes of Carrie's sad loss was unforeseen as far as any storyline involving her character goes...but did they really start all this off without any kind of idea of where things end up?
J.J. Abrams make things up as he goes!? Never!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
TVs Frink said:
addiesin said:

Agreed, their style really don't fit with the character and his implied backstory.

Then again I don't think a Han Solo movie is a good idea anyway. It's a lose-lose situation. If you make Han grow as a character, you make him inconsistent with how he's this egotistical, devil-may-care smuggler at the beginning of the original Star Wars, and in turn weaken all his development in the movie and the entire original trilogy, just like Greedo shooting first. If you stay consistent, you end up with an unlikable, static protagonist. It's very difficult to strike a balance between the two, making him a compelling character but also consistent with how he is at the beginning of the original Star Wars.

This is basically what I was thinking. I don't think the movie's a good idea. 

But Lord and Miller have taken things that sounded like bad ideas that involved previously established franchises before and turned out some pretty entertaining films. I thought they were a brave and inspired choice, not a stupid one. To me it looks like Lucasfilm lost their nerve 90% of the way through filming and went with a safer, more expensive choice way too late in the process. 
I though we were going to get a movie about GOUT Han but now I fear we'll get Special Edition Han, one who wouldn't shoot first. The only upside is they're still using Kasdan's script. The odds are against it being good, IMO. 

I do hope the pick for the Episode 9 replacement director is a decent one and they don't have to replace him too. :(

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
What he says is exactly what happened with TFA. It's not Tatooine, it's Jakku. It's not, orphan young boy, it's an orphan young girl. It's not the son trying to redeem the father, it's the father trying to redeem the son. It's not the Death Star, it's the Star Killer.   Etc etc. so forgive me when he says it's not Hoth it's Krait, etc.  that I'd be a little skeptical. And I AM still optimistic about this movie.

He basically says that unlike The Force Awakens, the film will trick us into thinking it's going to be an Empire remake (all the marketing is pointing towards that). One of the most common critisisms made to The Force Awakens was that it felt too similar to the original Star Wars. Disney isn't stupid enough to make the same mistakes. The cast and crew saying things like "Rian Johnson's script is shocking, unexpected, but right..." aren't lies, and they normally wouldn't let them say things like "When I first read it, I told Rian that I fundamentally disagree with everything you've decided for my character" etc. etc. Of course the film will be similar to Empire by foundation (like poetry, it rhymes  :p ) but what happens will be big and different, a gamechanging plot point, event reveal that will hopefully surpass "I am your father" Though that's probably not going to happen because expecting the unexpected makes the unexpected expected unless the expected unexpectedness is so unexpected that it becomes unexpectedly expected unexpectedness.

TL;DR I'm positive that The Last Jedi will be surprising and pretty great.

addiesin said:

But Lord and Miller have taken things that sounded like bad ideas that involved previously established franchises before and turned out some pretty entertaining films. I thought they were a brave and inspired choice, not a stupid one. To me it looks like Lucasfilm lost their nerve 90% of the way through filming and went with a safer, more expensive choice way too late in the process. 
I though we were going to get a movie about GOUT Han but now I fear we'll get Special Edition Han, one who wouldn't shoot first. The only upside is they're still using Kasdan's script. The odds are against it being good, IMO. 

I do hope the pick for the Episode 9 replacement director is a decent one and they don't have to replace him too. :(

Completely agreed.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Moe_Syzlak said:

He basically says that unlike The Force Awakens, the film will trick us into thinking it's going to be an Empire remake (all the marketing is pointing towards that). One of the most common critisisms made to The Force Awakens was that it felt too similar to the original Star Wars. Disney isn't stupid enough to make the same mistakes. The cast and crew saying things like "Rian Johnson's script is shocking, unexpected, but right..." aren't lies, and they normally wouldn't let them say things like "When I first read it, I told Rian that I fundamentally disagree with everything you've decided for my character" etc. etc. Of course the film will be similar to Empire by foundation (like poetry, it rhymes  :p ) but what happens will be big and different, a gamechanging plot point, event reveal that will hopefully surpass "I am your father" Though that's probably not going to happen because expecting the unexpected makes the unexpected expected unless the expected unexpectedness is so unexpected that it becomes unexpectedly expected unexpectedness.

TL;DR I'm positive that The Last Jedi will be surprising and pretty great.

addiesin said:

I do hope the pick for the Episode 9 replacement director is a decent one and they don't have to replace him too. :(

Completely agreed.

While that was an entertaining post, I do understand what the video was saying. And while I don't think this movie will be as egregious as TFA, it's clear the similarities are there. Abrams and company made similar claims that the movie would shock people and the similarities were overblown. While the death of Han Solo was the worst kept secret in th history of "shocking twists," it still wasn't even close to enough to make up for the lack of vision on that movie, even had the scene taken me completely by surprise. All the things we've seen suggests that Lucasfilm is intent on playing it safe (people sure seem to like walkers; let's have a scene like Hoth!). I'm hopeful, but I'll wait to see it rather than have my hopes dashed again.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The big reveal in episode 8 better not be 
Luke dabbled in the dark side, then became overwhelmed by it, and introduced it to Kylo Ren in the first place - SURPRISE LUKE'S A BAD GUY! ISN'T THAT SHOCKING?!

gazza

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Everyone was shocked when they   did what they did to han solo. But could they could find a way to bring him back if they really wanted to. After all he was technically non human so who says he could have had a second heart or the ablity to live with one lung.?  Just a thought. Dont crusify me

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
gazza said:
Everyone was shocked when they   did what they did to han solo. But could they could find a way to bring him back if they really wanted to. After all he was technically non human so who says he could have had a second heart or the ablity to live with one lung.?  Just a thought. Dont crusify me

Your "everyone" is my "no one."

Top Bottom