• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I dunno, I found that Mockingjay scene to be damned awkward, though they did the best they could. If PSH hadn't filmed most of his scenes for the movie, they could have written him out or recast him (as throwing away his existing footage would have been unpleasant in its own right), but for him to be around for several minor scenes at the front and then miss out on his big moment was not ideal, even if the work-around they wrote made sense. Given that, presumably, there's isn't any post-TLJ Fisher in the can, I don't see this as being quite comparable.

With Episode IX, the offscreen treatment is certainly a respectable option, but I personally don't like it. It's one thing to keep Brian O'Conner, who has two young children (in-universe), alive, while also giving the character a touching sendoff. But especially given all the grief TFA's backstory put Leia through, to play cute with the audience by keeping the character alive when we're all acutely aware of why she isn't onscreen doesn't sit right with me. If you're going to keep the character alive, recast and slog through the discomfort/annoyance of doing so, Dumbledore-style; otherwise, just do a quick, thoughtful funeral at the start, and move on. IMHO.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I dunno man, that movie was unmemorable and almost two years have passed since its release, so I don't remember. In hindsight yeah you're probably right.

I think we can all agree that Disney/Lucasfilm are in an extremely difficult situation. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Recasting Leia is an atrocious idea, the worst possible option, IMO. Fisher was that character for 40 years; Fisher and Organa are inextricably linked.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If she'd passed before the new episodes they maybe could've gotten away with Laura Dern, Julianne Moore, Jodie Foster, or someone else who is an actor and fits the vague requirements a replacement Leia would have had. 
But after Episode 7? And probably 8 (though there's no way to know for sure what it's impact will be yet)? They'd never get away with it now. No way. Gonna have to agree with Throw on that one.

Realistically speaking they have so few options, I'd be scared if I was on the Star Wars writing team right now.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
John Powell will be composing the score for the Han Solo movie.  Having previously scored the Sci-Fi classic, The Adventures of Pluto Nash, he's certainly capable.

Seriously, though - his work on the Bourne series as well as X-Men 3 leave me cautiously optimistic.  I'd have preferred more Michael Giacchino, but he's a decent pick.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd like to hear Silvestri's take on Star Wars for one of these anthology movies. I've come to really admire Giaachino's Star Wars variations, but I feel like any other tracks would be very familiar to what we've already heard. Think Star Trek 2009 vs Star Trek Into Darkness Soundtracks. Pretty much the same stuff.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Recasting Leia is an atrocious idea, the worst possible option, IMO. Fisher was that character for 40 years; Fisher and Organa are inextricably linked.

At this point I would not mind a recast for a prequel if they find the perfect actress for it (and I mean perfect!) but yeah, changing the actress for Leia in the last movie of this trilogy would not look good.
That said, tragic event like her death could sadly happen for anyone of the cast. What if Daisy Ridley have an accident or something? They surely would recast.

But what they could do is this:
Set the events of episode IX five or even ten years after episode VIII. That way it would not look too weird to have some characters not around anymore and you'll have a minimum of work to make the actors looks a bit older (add a beard to Boyega, etc).
You could have characters saying "I wish General Leia was here, she surely would know what to do", things like that.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Recasting Leia is an atrocious idea, the worst possible option, IMO.

Worse than CG Tarkin-style recreation? ;) (Perhaps you're not counting that as an option since they've said they're not going there, but maybe unless it were just a short scene or two, I'd certainly prefer a recasting to that - and I was largely okay with CG Tarkin, though I would happily have accepted Guy Henry with some gray hair dye as a traditional recasting.)

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
But what they could do is this:
Set the events of episode IX five or even ten years after episode VIII. That way it would not look too weird to have some characters not around anymore and you'll have a minimum of work to make the actors looks a bit older (add a beard to Boyega, etc).
You could have characters saying "I wish General Leia was here, she surely would know what to do", things like that.

That sounds like it would work. I don't know if it would fit with what Disney/Lucasfilm is planning, but if it does, then it would make sense to do that.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
ThrowgnCpr said:
Recasting Leia is an atrocious idea, the worst possible option, IMO.

Worse than CG Tarkin-style recreation? ;) (Perhaps you're not counting that as an option since they've said they're not going there, but maybe unless it were just a short scene or two, I'd certainly prefer a recasting to that - and I was largely okay with CG Tarkin, though I would happily have accepted Guy Henry with some gray hair dye as a traditional recasting.)

That's a non-option. They already said they wouldn't do it. That said, even though it would be bad and very hard to pull off (Fisher's voice, especially in her later year was pretty unique), I'd take a sparsely used CGI fill-in over a recast. The actor/role is too iconic, and the replacement would be incredibly harsh late in the trilogy.

As for @"TMBTM"'s comment on recasting for a prequel - I could maybe buy that if it were a pre-ANH story, but frankly we don't need to see that period of Leia's life. Her entrance into the franchise on Tantive IV is a perfect introduction. No fan-wanky backstories please.

iridium_ionizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Her entrance into the franchise on Tantive IV is a perfect introduction. No fan-wanky backstories please.

The funny thing is that you could probably say the same thing about Han having his introduction in the Mos Eisley cantina. And yet we have this [imdb.com]. Hopefully it turns out well and our memories of Han Solo are not tarnished. The only difference is that Harrison Ford is still with us.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Our memories of any character are only tarnished if we allow them to be.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can see them telling a story of Leia somewhere in-between one of the others to establish a new actress as being her then having that actress in episode IX. I think Fischer would get a kick out of it if they did CGi her. She already made fun of the fact that she didn't own her own likeness.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"This movie, it sends her off in a very amazing, amazing way. And she’s still kept alive in this franchise, and that's the beauty of it. She lives forever, in a sense." - John Boyega

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
character arc: anakin turns evil because he watched the prequels.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not particularly tempted to watch the whole run of "Millennial Falcon" shows on Screen Junkies, but holy banthas did I find this funny. Landis and Nicholson have the cutest interplay, like cousins who who only see each other once or twice a year and thus naturally like each other without really knowing them at all. Or something. Anyhow, I laughed all the way through:

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Max Landis is a  piece of garbage.  I have no interest in watching any video he has any involvement with, but I'm guessing he "fixes" the Star Wars universe by getting all the damn uppity females to shut the hell up and get back in the kitchen where they belong.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
xv6np71jw6dz.jpg

TVs Frink said:
Max Landis is a  piece of garbage. 

All the best artists are, he gets it from his dad. I believe whole-heartedly in the death of the author.

Roman Polanski is a rapist and Woody Allen a paedophile, but holy hell are they two talented utter shitebags.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Max Landis appears to be famous only because of his dad and his misogyny.  I think Bullshit Artist is the only artistic title he can lay claim to.

Top Bottom