• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ooh. Fascinating to see how this actually pans out! Colour me intrigued.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DFG6o_WWsAAXwdY.jpg

Don't move, Lando!

No, wait! I thought you were blind!

It's alright, I can see a lot better!

lando.jpg

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe I'm late to the party but I did not see this video before..

I DID NOT.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
NEs7RBoP25qxvx_1_c.jpg

Interesting little article. Looks like Rian Johnson just finished the crawl. He said the process of writing a Star Wars crawl was extremely hard, but fun. I think a few of us here would agree with him  :) 

http://movieweb.com/star-wars-last-jedi-opening-crawl-details/

This is maybe a trickier crawl to write than usual because if the movie starts right when The Force Awakens ends (as it seems), then what's the crawl have to tell could be things that were happening during TFA, that we did not see.
Let's say the crawl could be more "part of the story" than just filling a time gap.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah hopefully the episode 8 crawl focuses on things that are new and different for better context on things we actually will see in the film, with minimal "previously, on Star Wars" stuff. 

However, I think the crawl for Episode 9 will be even trickier, and more important. Since they chose not to recast, use deleted footage, reuse old footage, change episode 8, or create a cgi double (assuming Disney and Lucasfilm told the truth in all their announcements), the crawl for Episode 9 will have to do the heavy lifting to explain Leia's departure in-universe.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
However, I think the crawl for Episode 9 will be even trickier, and more important. Since they chose not to recast, use deleted footage, reuse old footage, change episode 8, or create a cgi double (assuming Disney and Lucasfilm told the truth in all their announcements), the crawl for Episode 9 will have to do the heavy lifting to explain Leia's departure in-universe.

Personally I would modify Leia's character arc to fit her departure if necessary in Episode VIII, then in Episode IX I would probably give a respectful old age death to Leia, and a touching funeral.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
They already said she's got kind of a big role in 8, which they aren't changing in light of her death, and was going to be even bigger in 9. I really do think the crawl is the most practical, logical, and respectful place to deal with the loss. I really don't want to see something where they treat her like she's there but just barely off screen busy in her office, like the Avengers in Agents of Shield. 

Instead, I'd prefer a slight time jump and a little epilogue for her, then carry on with the movie as you would. They might kill her off, like blowing up the planet or ship she's on but I think that might be disrespectful.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
They already said she's got kind of a big role in 8, which they aren't changing in light of her death, and was going to be even bigger in 9. I really do think the crawl is the most practical, logical, and respectful place to deal with the loss. I really don't want to see something where they treat her like she's there but just barely off screen busy in her office, like the Avengers in Agents of Shield. 

Instead, I'd prefer a slight time jump and a little epilogue for her, then carry on with the movie as you would. They might kill her off, like blowing up the planet or ship she's on but I think that might be disrespectful.

Yes, I agree. I meant that at least modifying the tiny parts that might feel like loose ends that would have tied into Episode IX if she hadn't died. That's why I said a natural, old age death with a funeral would be the most respectful epilogue for her, and a touching tribute to Carrie Fisher.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The only issue with the old age death is that she really wasn't/isn't that old.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
The old issue with the old age death is that she really wasn't/isn't that old.

Good point. We'll see how it'll be done when Ep. IX comes along.

iridium_ionizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
The only issue with the old age death is that she really wasn't/isn't that old.

I would say space plague (possibly a First Order bioweapon), but yeah if SW was more sci-fi you could say cancer or kidney failure. As it is in the SW universe, everything must be a little weird compared to reality. 

I still feel bad about us, as a fandom, losing her. I also feel bad about my somewhat selfish motivations for wising she was still around - that she could finish Episode 9. Yes, her profession made her wealthy and well-known, and she probably enjoyed most of the time that she was acting, but if I am honest with myself, my reasons for wishing her to live longer are very different from her family's reasons for wishing her to live longer. 

Yet we still can't help but wonder how things would have turned out differently had they finished a few more films. Here are lists of when the Character Died With the Actor [tvtropes.org], when the Character Outlived the Actor [tvtropes.org], and when a Performer Died on the Job [tvtropes.org].

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
iridium_ionizer said:
I would say space plague (possibly a First Order bioweapon), but yeah if SW was more sci-fi you could say cancer or kidney failure. As it is in the SW universe, everything must be a little weird compared to reality.

Not sure what you mean. You wouldn't see the character's sudden death by "space plague" as disrespectful to the actually dead, real person who played the character, and that person's family? I don't think Disney would touch that idea with a ten foot pole. Killing the character off at all could easily reopen those emotional wounds and may even hurt the public perception of the brand.

iridium_ionizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Not sure what you mean. You wouldn't see the character's sudden death by "space plague" as disrespectful to the actually dead, real person who played the character, and that person's family? I don't think Disney would touch that idea with a ten foot pole. Killing the character off at all could easily reopen those emotional wounds and may even hurt the public perception of the brand.

I agree that it could be seen as disrespectful, but compared to the abruptness of a space ship or planet explosion, maybe not at much. It could be seen as she was suffering with the rest of the Resistance - of which we could see the aftermath. It could be mentioned in crawl. It avoids the question of her not being quite old enough to die of old age. Does anybody have a better idea for Leia's character death? 

Or is it better to have her launch on a starship off to regions unknown for retirement (ala Paul Walker)? The thing is that it was stated in Episode 7 that she wanted to keep on fighting - it was a way that she coped with grief. 

addiesin said:
 I really don't want to see something where they treat her like she's there but just barely off screen busy in her office, like the Avengers in Agents of Shield. 

I agree completely with this. Maybe just say in the crawl that she died during the battle of such-an-such or during the siege of such-an-such planet.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My idea (subject to modification after seeing TLJ):

Lucasfilm logo. "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away..."

SMASH CUT to a silent (with music) funeral scene. As with Glee and Cory Monteith, we all know why the character's gone, so there's really no need to explain it in-universe. (Canon sources elsewhere could officially designate it space cancer or whatever, but my idea lets the funeral be a tribute to Fisher as much as possible, just as the ending to Furious 7 was obviously for Paul Walker, rather than for Brian O'Conner.) Fade out.

STAR WARS title fanfare, crawl, movie.

In short, Fisher's passing would be so significant that it would be the only time the Episode format of "A long time ago", STAR WARS title fanfare, crawl, movie would ever be broken. I get that most don't enthusiastically love Thor: The Dark World as I do, but I think the two-minute dialogue-free Frigga funeral is a freakin' fantastic scene that would make an excellent model.

Alternatively, I for one would be just as comfortable seeing the part recast with an age-appropriate actor (no CG or makeup fakery), perhaps Julianne Moore, with Fisher's likeness persisting in all future media/merchandise, such as, say, a comic portraying Leia's final mission, or whatever.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
iridium_ionizer said:
I agree that it could be seen as disrespectful, but compared to the abruptness of a space ship or planet explosion, maybe not at much. It could be seen as she was suffering with the rest of the Resistance - of which we could see the aftermath. It could be mentioned in crawl. It avoids the question of her not being quite old enough to die of old age. Does anybody have a better idea for Leia's character death? 

Or is it better to have her launch on a starship off to regions unknown for retirement (ala Paul Walker)? The thing is that it was stated in Episode 7 that she wanted to keep on fighting - it was a way that she coped with grief.

Again, I don't think killing her off at all would be wise.
I was thinking it'll be more like, she's off for a diplomatic mission that just doesn't play into the plot. So it could be explained in the crawl or in dialogue when Rey comes back expecting her, she's simply taken on her own journey elsewhere. While we'd hear mention of her, and one or two "she wanted you to have/know this xyz" at the low point of the second act, and probably an emotionally scored ("I'll miss her." "Me too.") in the third, we wouldn't actually spend much time lingering on it, but it would be acknowledged and integrated into the plot. It's something tasteful and short, without having to actually portray the death of a beloved character or scrounge for unused footage or cgi doubles to fill holes.

That's the kind of thing I'd expect Disney Lucasfilm to do.

Edit: addition

Gaith said:
In short, Fisher's passing would be so significant that it would be the only time the Episode format of "A long time ago", STAR WARS title fanfare, crawl, movie would ever be broken.

This I could see working too. Specifically the funeral being at least somewhat separate from the film at large, and if she must be dead, the cause of death left unsaid onscreen.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Again, I don't think killing her off at all would be wise.

I was thinking it'll be more like, she's off for a diplomatic mission that just doesn't play into the plot. So it could be explained in the crawl or in dialogue when Rey comes back expecting her, she's simply taken on her own journey elsewhere. While we'd hear mention of her, and one or two "she wanted you to have/know this xyz" at the low point of the second act, and probably an emotionally scored ("I'll miss her." "Me too.") in the third, we wouldn't actually spend much time lingering on it, but it would be acknowledged and integrated into the plot. It's something tasteful and short, without having to actually portray the death of a beloved character or scrounge for unused footage or cgi doubles to fill holes.

That's the kind of thing I'd expect Disney Lucasfilm to do.

That seems like the ideal thing to do. The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part II did a very similar thing to Philip Seymour Hoffman's character Plutarch. Though I'm not a big fan of that movie, they did handle this quite well. The smartest thing for Disney/Lucasfilm to do is taking notes from that otherwise mediocre movie and apply something similar to Carrie Fisher/Leia

Top Bottom