• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I do believe that when Disney and Lucasfilm will get to the point of wanting to reboot the Saga and so forth, they should think more thrice than twice.

iridium_ionizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
It would be interesting to see a live action troopers show, like IMPs or Troopers. Or a live action Rebels show. I just can't stand these terrible cgi shows. Star Wars needs more non lightsaber options. 

Before George Lucas sold SW to Disney, they had done a fair amount of pre-production on a Star Wars live-action show, Star Wars: Underground. I supposedly had 50 episodes already written (and probably tons of concept art) and it had a gritty scoundrels and bounty hunters focus. It seemed like it was stuck in developmental hell for a while, and I'm not sure that GL could have gotten it out except by pouring a lot of his fortune into it [google.com]. The Clone Wars was much cheaper since it was basically something for his ILM people to do in between big-budget Hollywood fx shots. 

TM2YC said:
I've said it before... Disney will be making at least one SW movie a year, from now until our sun goes supernova, so yes, sooner or later they will remake the prequels, remake the OT and create a Lobot origins movie.

Canon Editor said:
I do believe that when Disney and Lucasfilm will get to the point of wanting to reboot the Saga and so forth, they should think more thrice than twice.

I think Disney is going to learn sooner, rather than later to either put more variety into the type of SW movies that they make or make fewer of them. In my opinion franchise fatigue [tvtropes.com ex 1 & 2] will strike the new SW movies before it strikes the MCU. I mean the whole reason that the SW prequels did well at the box-office was because, after the TPM, people wanted to see if they would fix them and if any good SW would result. If Disney keeps flooding the market with very samey SW movies eventually fans are going to lose their curiosity and get wise when the quality is low and the non-fans are just not going to watch it in the theaters. When each new SW movies stops getting 1 billion (USD) internationally (along with diminishing merchandise money), Disney will have to rethink their strategy. 

That said, I truly hope Disney can keep the quality high on their SW films. But if their is a period of low quality in their future, I hope they recognize it and change things quickly.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know. Maybe someday, but not for a while I'd guess. There were three total stinkers in a row and the third is still the 30th most profitable movie of all time. Star Wars seems pretty immune. People will see them no matter what.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I don't know. Maybe someday, but not for a while I'd guess. There were three total stinkers in a row and the third is still the 30th most profitable movie of all time. Star Wars seems pretty immune. People will see them no matter what.

I really like the third one despite some obvious flaws, and am meh with TPM. Agreed that AotC is shit though. So overall... Meh? Problem is that GL surrounded himself with yes men, though he did ask for Spielberg, Zemeckis and Howard to direct it before they said "You should do it," so GL was probably aware that he needed some help. He should have begged even more. But anyway, I do believe that all the prequels are salvagable and can be saved with fan editing, evidenced by countless of them here and even more outside.

By the way, did I share this video to you guys? Very entertaining and well made even if you disagree.

It's not defending bad directing and execution of course (hence 'secretly'), just the overall story and what it means. I'd love to discuss it.

Zamros said:
While I agree that I don't think the prequels should be remade (Extensive fanediting is fair game, ofc :D), not sure I agree with this guy's line of thinking.

"People love X so it shouldn't be remade" could be applied to literally anything. The reason things are remade is precisely BECAUSE people love them. We've been adapting and re-writing works of literature, literally since the first stories were told.

That is true, I didn't think of that. I guess what HelloGreedo meant and I meant is that remaking the prequels would mean replacing GL's prequels in canon, and GL's prequels do have its fans. That's why there's this grey, even dark grey area of remaking the prequels. It's not just remaking a movie and that's it, it's the complete replacement of what's been established and emphasized so much.

And also, remaking the prequels would divide the already quite divided of Star Wars fans. Fans of both versions of the prequels, neither versions, new versions, old versions... Finally, and IMO most importantly, officially replacing what George Lucas created and intended in the timeline, I feel, would be very disrespectful. I mean how would you feel if something you've worked on and are proud of, is denied and replaced with a different version of what you did?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"The Star Wars Prequels are Secretly Brilliant?"

I'm sorry but I can't possibly watch that.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Are the Star Wars Prequels Secretly Brilliant?"

They spent 13 minutes answering a question I could answer in two letters.

Officially replacing what George Lucas created and intended in the timeline, I feel, would be very disrespectful. I mean how would you feel if something you've worked on and are proud of, is denied and replaced with a different version of what you did?

Oh. You mean like what George Lucas, himself, did?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:

tumblr_lnvv9xtgsC1qf5nzv.gif

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If they are, then it's the best kept secret of all-time and governments should probably employ George Lucas as an international super spy.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
If they are, then it's the best kept secret of all-time and governments should probably employ George Lucas as an international super spy.
george-lucas-baron-papanoida_55003967-825x1200-825x1200.jpeg

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is that the stupid ring theory thing? I disagree that the prequels can be salvaged by fan editing. I've watched more than I care to admit and I've yet to find anything that comes close to making them good movies. The reason there are so many is precisely because people keep trying to fix something that simply can't be fixed. If they were salvageable, someone would've salvaged them long ago.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now if this guy could just do the entire film it'd be a fanediting dream source...

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I disagree that the prequels can be salvaged by fan editing. I've watched more than I care to admit and I've yet to find anything that comes close to making them good movies. The reason there are so many is precisely because people keep trying to fix something that simply can't be fixed. If they were salvageable, someone would've salvaged them long ago.

While I agree, to some extent. The original Star Wars was salvaged in the editing room.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:
Officially replacing what George Lucas created and intended in the timeline, I feel, would be very disrespectful. I mean how would you feel if something you've worked on and are proud of, is denied and replaced with a different version of what you did?

08wx13.jpg

I don't think what GL did would justify what Disney would do in that case. But still, touché.

TVs Frink said:
"The Star Wars Prequels are Secretly Brilliant?"

I'm sorry but I can't possibly watch that.

But why? I like to see different opinions. This one in particular was a very strong argument.

TM2YC said:

Like I said, the films overall are not good movies at all. And yes, I know what you're saying now...

F6C41DA0FE49481473031BDE0CA2E974F74E2F9D

Too much blue/green-screen, too much CGI (feels like I'm watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit... or I guess the opposite of that?) Too much exposition, too detailed boring politics (in the first movie), badly written dialogue, badly directed scenes (which are most of them), Jar-Jar Binks, misunderstanding Yoda, making Force lightning a common Sith power, etc. etc. etc. The list is endless. But the overall story and what it was trying to do... That is brilliant. Just not executed well.

Moe_Syzlak said:
Is that the stupid ring theory thing? I disagree that the prequels can be salvaged by fan editing. I've watched more than I care to admit and I've yet to find anything that comes close to making them good movies. The reason there are so many is precisely because people keep trying to fix something that simply can't be fixed. If they were salvageable, someone would've salvaged them long ago.

No, it's not the ring theory thing. Good thesis but the parallels, rings and all that doesn't automatically mean the film is good. RedLetterMedia explained it well, even if I don't completely agree with them. This is more of an actual look into the story: What it tries to do, what it means for the narrative and overall story of the saga.

TM2YC said:
Now if this guy could just do the entire film it'd be a fanediting dream source...

I encountered a glitch in my external hard drive once, with Harmy's Despecialized Edition of Ep. IV, in which all the music was gone and all the sfx were intact. I have no idea how that happened.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alright, I watched it. So basically the case he's making is that Anakin's turn was because of the Jedi and the hypocrisy of the Jedi code rather than to save Padme. First, if that's the case, he's just made an argument that Lucas is (not so secretly) a terrible storyteller. Because that doesn't come through at all. But even if it did, it's basically the equivalent of saying because some of the allied power leaders were a bit hypocritical, I'm going to side with the genocidal Nazis. And for what reason? Spite? If that's the intent is the PT is actually secretly much MUCH worse. (IMO)

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Alright, I watched it. So basically the case he's making is that Anakin's turn was because of the Jedi and the hypocrisy of the Jedi code rather than to save Padme. First, if that's the case, he's just made an argument that Lucas is (not so secretly) a terrible storyteller. Because that doesn't come through at all. But even if it did, it's basically the equivalent of saying because some of the allied power leaders were a bit hypocritical, I'm going to side with the genocidal Nazis. And for what reason? Spite? If that's the intent is the PT is actually secretly much MUCH worse. (IMO)

Bolded out what you missed. The main reason is because he wanted to save Padmé. Palpatine's plan was brilliant. He used Anakin's fear of loss, and slowly seduced him to the dark side. It started with his mother, then came Padmé. But he also emphasized the Jedi's hypocrisy, corruption and carelessness over to Anakin. Without it, Anakin wouldn't be able to fully embrace the Dark Side. The Jedi Code is far from perfect, but when it was created, it was created with good intentions.

There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

But of course, interpretations and beliefs changed over time and devolved to something quite ugly. I would say this is a very good commentary to religion.

(This explains what's wrong with the code better than I could have attempted now off the top of my head. But please ignore the extreme title. and ignore that it's a theory, this was subtly emphasized in the prequels.)

Anyway, I won't explain why the Jedi are wrong, because both videos I shared explain why very well. My point is that how the Jedi have gotten corrupted and became careless, hypocritical passionless monks, and of course Anakin's fear of loss, COMBINED is what brought him. Just because the reason for Anakin's fall is to save Padme, doesn't mean his love for Padme is the only motivation. The corruption and hypocrisy of the Jedi, Anakin's fear of loss, his love for his mother and Padme, Palpatine's plan and seduction, all are motivations for Anakin fall to the Dark Side.

The second bolded part: Of course if that were the only reason it would be beyond ridiculous. But it is not, his distrust to the Jedi is just a big motivation, and the reason he joins the Dark Side is because he wanted to save Padme, and he was constantly seduced by Palpatine to join the Dark Side. The fall of Anakin with how he has a fear of loss, starting with losing his mother, and the fear of losing Padmé the same way, is what made him decide to join. But again, he wouldn't fully embrace the Dark Side if he had trusted the Jedi. It is a factor in the grand plan of the Revenge of the Sith, and the fall of Anakin. This factor would come full circle in Return of the Jedi.

Luke's love and hope for his father, and his emotions leading to beating him, but realizing that he can control his emotions, is what made Luke prevail. But the fact that Luke probably went with the traditional Jedi ways, or at least went with the same Jedi Code, is probably why he failed and went into exile before Episode VII. Hence, "it's time for the Jedi to end." Rian Johnson knows what's up. Can't wait for the Last Jedi!

But once again, I agree that George Lucas is not a good director. He has brilliant story ideas, but he can't adapt them to good screenplays and movies. Not since the 90's at least.

Oh, and uh... Not related to the above, but I have a confession, I forgot why The Force Awakens was good for a while, and jumped on the bandwagon, but now I realize I was wrong. I now understand more than ever why I loved it so much the first time. Will rewatch and write another review to the thread soon. Oh, and yeah, TFA and RO are def better than the Prequels.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The video you posted calls Anakin's fear of loss of Padme "the straw that broke the camel's back" and "not the main reason" for Anakin's turn. If you're suggesting that everyone missed the fact that the Jedi order and code were flawed and Anakin's distrusted them, well I think you're wrong. I'm frankly tired of people trying to tell me I've missed some hidden brilliance here.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's one reason why I don't watch video reviews or essays.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
The video you posted calls Anakin's fear of loss of Padme "the straw that broke the camel's back" and "not the main reason" for Anakin's turn. If you're suggesting that everyone missed the fact that the Jedi order and code were flawed and Anakin's distrusted them, well I think you're wrong. I'm frankly tired of people trying to tell me I've missed some hidden brilliance here.

What's wrong with arguing about films? Anyway, the main idea for the video is that the Jedi were intended to be wrong. My interpretation is that the main reason is still Padme, but all the other factors and motivations I mentioned are what makes him fall.

And people did miss that the Jedi were intended to be corrrupt, at least most people I saw online. Always the Jedi are said to be careless hypocritical monks in reviews... That was the point.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"I have to admit my trust in them [the Jedi] has been shaken." 

Despite it being one of the better scenes in the PT, what you're talking about is almost painfully spelled out in the opera scene.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
That's one reason why I don't watch video reviews or essays.

What? You DON'T like videos titled "X: The Y of Z" everywhere? You DON'T like that most of them use the exact cadence of Tony from every frame a painting? You DON'T like that their essays would fail high school english by providing a list of points with evidence but not adequately explaining them?

Colour me shocked! Video essays aren't just a cheap gimmick to bankroll yourself through patreon, Frink! :p

Top Bottom