• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
iridium_ionizer said:
Does any one know of any respected directors that bombed in their attempts to do a sci-fi, fantasy, comic book, etc. film?

Ang Lee, off the top of my head.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Garp said:
iridium_ionizer said:
Does any one know of any respected directors that bombed in their attempts to do a sci-fi, fantasy, comic book, etc. film?

In addition: David Ayer, Martin Campbell, Gavin Hood...

I'm sure there are many, many more.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Garp said:
iridium_ionizer said:

crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-w1280.jpg

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Never seen 'Crouching Tiger...'. But I have seen 'Hulk'.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think Ron Howard will do fine. He's not the problem. 

The problem is, they're already through casting, writing, and even some shooting, maybe a lot of shooting, as they only had a few weeks left to go. If they want to change it up a lot, and keep the release date, that means they're back to writing and have very little time to do it. They had normal reshoots scheduled, I'm guessing they're just going to be really extensive. 

Superman 2 might end up being a really good comparison point. However, Lester's fingerprints are all over the theatrical cut of Superman 2. Given time constraints and the reasons Lord and Miller were let go, I'm not sure how much of Ron Howard will actually come out on film.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
We really have no idea how extensive the changes Kennedy demanded were. It could be she and Lord/Miller agreed on the general goofy tone, but she wanted a few key scenes or even moments played totally straight, while Lord/Miller wanted to give them a jokey spin. For all we know, the only stuff they'll actually have to reshoot is some cheap Falcon interior dialogue. It could also be that these disagreements aren't even any bigger than those that occur on many such A-list blockbusters, and that Lord/Miller are most unique in their refusal to bend to studio pressure, rather than most unique in the sheer zaniness of their style. (Lord: "I sort of relate to him. He doesn’t want to do anything that he’s told. When told not to do something, it makes him want to do it more.")

'Twill be what it 'twill be...

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
'Twill be what it 'twill be...

I'd say that attitude from them is a little justified, given the ridiculous requirements duos have to meet to join the DGA (The reason Joel was sole credit for much the Coen Brothers filmography)

They want to make their movie, not what someone else thinks their movie should be.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Garp said:

There is no good excuse for this.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Garp said:

Not having seen Crouching Tiger, or having seen Hulk?

I only ask because I wish I had my life minutes back after watching the big green mass.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zamros said:

Obligatory note: while not technically a comic-book movie (the character originated in a serialized novel), Campbell did direct the masterpiece The Mask of Zorro before striking out with that green-masked dude. ;)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
TVs Frink said:
Garp said:

Not having seen Crouching Tiger, or having seen Hulk?

I only ask because I wish I had my life minutes back after watching the big green mass.

Both.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Zamros said:

Obligatory note: while not technically a comic-book movie (the character originated in a serialized novel), Campbell did direct the masterpiece The Mask of Zorro before striking out with that green-masked dude. ;)

Yeah, but he also directed The Legend of Zorro. The signs were there...

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This really cracked me up...

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did not expect the Jango one.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well... I've thought about it a lot and I gotta be the black sheep here and say that I think they are making a big mistake. They picked the wrong Ron. They should have went with Ron Burgandy. You all know the story of how after retiring from hosting the news he became a western and samurai action film director with one HELL of a reputation for serious character studying in his movies, each of his films continue breaking box office records years after their release, and he's even a genius wardrobe/hairstylist as well as an expert editor, and an actor, and a writer, and a producer AND a director. While, granted, he has yet to do a big sci fi film, he directed the SHIT out of Cannibal Airlines, so you know he's got the chops not only with the actors, but with the effects too. What did Ron Howard ever do? Smile and look funny. big deal!

Just kidding, I honestly cant see how Ron is gonna fix a movie like this with only a few weeks, but he's a fine director so who knows?

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
36bfygech46z.png

Maybe the Prequels are a metaphor for studio interference...

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe it is because I did not see any movies by Lord and Miller (so I'm not aware of their awesomeness), but I'm sort of glad they were fired... The problem being the movie was about 80% already filmed, of course.

Alden Ehenreich supposedly told Lucasfilm he was not comfortable with the directing.
If true, it kind of reassures me with his casting.

iridium_ionizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am not Lord and Miller's [imdb.com] biggest fan, but at least they do things differently. The Lego Movie seemed scatterbrained at times, but it had some really funny moments along with biting satire and the ending was wonderful. 21JS had some plot twists and gags that elevated it slightly above the typical U.S. comedy. 

Evidently a lot of their clashing with Kathleen Kennedy was their more improvisational style and they were not changing the camera angles as much the studios had expected. Lawrence Kasdan was not in their corner because after they did a few takes using his script, they would start having the actors improvise. The Hollywood Reporter has a good update on the behind the scenes drama [hollywoodreporter.com]. Anonymous sources say that much of the Lord and Miller footage will be "very usable."

I think the bigger problem is that the Star Wars franchise is getting a reputation as a place where young talented directors go to not be able to put their own spin on things. Maybe this will change after the first new trilogy finishes up, but the Marvel Cinematic Universe (even though they let a few directors go during pre-production) allows the directors a bit more room for creativity and doesn't have constant emergency reshoots. Here is a short history on directors' battles with studios for some historical perspective [hollywoodreporter.com]. 

Some fans refer to the new Star Wars movies as big-budget fanfilms. I don't know if things would be different if they at least partially used George Lucas' story treatments (which are much better than his scripts). Looking at the writing credits for the recent SW films and I get the sense that Kathleen Kennedy is playing it way too safe by using writers that are now more producers and haven't written many great films in recent years. We will find out in 2018, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lawrence Kasdan is passed his prime (and using nepotism to help his son's career), but Ms. Kennedy decided to use his name just to garner Star Wars fans support for the project - which in some ways is riskier than Rogue One due to recasting Han Solo. Hopefully it turns out well, but I would like Star Wars to be more original than it has been recently.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
(Spoiler'd for one use of the mf-word)

s_Ib1_ABi.jpg

(Stolen from OT.com)

Top Bottom