• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Definitely, but having these kind of issues on almost every film is difficult.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
BREAKING: Lord and Miller have been brought in to replace Adywan on ESB:R.  :p

iridium_ionizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
“At Lucasfilm, we believe the highest goal of each film is to delight, carrying forward the spirit of the saga that George Lucas began forty years ago,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “With that in mind, we’re thrilled to announce that Ron Howard will step in to direct the untitled Han Solo film. We have a wonderful script, an incredible cast and crew, and the absolute commitment to make a great movie. Filming will resume the 10th of July.” - starwars.com

Now the story of a wealthy cadre of scoundrels who lost everything — and the one adopted son who had no choice but to keep them all together. It's Han Solo's Arrested Development.

Reshoots will include a cameo by Opie-Wan Kenobi.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
iridium_ionizer said:
Reshoots will include a cameo by Opie-Wan Kenobi.

iridium_ionizer had gone too far and he had best watch his mouth.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm just hoping for multiple scenes in which Lando strides into a space museum/temple, and starts spouting off esoteric facts about the artists of this-or-that statue or painting. :p

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
George Lucas's voice on the OT commentary tracks put me to sleep. The monotone, the slight croakiness — he seems to lack confidence, despite being the guy who launched a whole segment of culture.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
L Ron Howard directing a Star Wars movie is too perfect to comprehend. I'm going to rewatch American Graffiti the first chance I get.

Kathleen Kennedy apparently didn't like the way Lord and Miller directed the "action" or the "acting".
Tonal problems sounds about right. I hope Lord and Miller can hop back on The Flash, that always seemed like the better project for them.

iridium_ionizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is there any chance that Dex's Diner can return 
dex_diner_klanten.jpg

and slowly morph into Arnold's / Al's Drive In? 
als_drivein.jpeg

Seriously though, after glancing through his filmography [imdb.com], I like almost all of Ron Howard's non-Da Vinci Code, non-Grinch directing.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stolen from another forum: Han reshot first.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just caught the news about Ron Howard. I suddenly am excited for this movie now. I absolutely love Ron Howard and Lucas Film's Willow. Here's hoping they can repeat the magic  :)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
Pssst...no Lucas anymore.

*Lucas Film ;)

Beyond idea, cash and promotion, Lucas had pretty much nothing to do with the film.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh.

In my defense I've never seen Willow.

iridium_ionizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TVs Frink said:
In my defense I've never seen Willow.

Willow is a very good but conventional entry into the fantasy genre. Its not super-edgy or ground-breaking. It does have a good script, good performances, good action, good humor, and good special effects. It is a fun popcorn-movie for the fantasy genre - especially in the 1980's. Had it performed better at the box-office and resonated more with audiences, it could have been the LucasFilm fantasy franchise that followed Star Wars. 

The reality check though is that Ron Howard, while directing many quality dramas, thrillers, westerns, period pieces, and sports movies (even ones that have substantial action segments), hasn't directed much in the way of sci-fi, fantasy, or comic book since Willow. He does have recent producer credits on Cowboys & Aliens and The Dark Tower. Best of luck to him.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ His Robert Langdon movies are totally comic-book in tone, with tons of discreet CG recreations of famous landmarks, and his In the Heart of the Sea is a fine adventure flick - and that's just off the top of my head. No offense, but the actual "reality check" here is that sci-fi/fantasy isn't some esoteric or totally distinct genre that requires a special kind of personality or talent. He'll be fine. ;)

iridium_ionizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
No offense, but the actual "reality check" here is that sci-fi/fantasy isn't some esoteric or totally distinct genre that requires a special kind of personality or talent. He'll be fine. ;)

None taken. I agree that good directors usually tell good stories no matter what the genre. One of my favorite (but not everybody's) comic book movies is Thor directed by Kenneth Branagh, who had previously avoided directing most genre fare [imdb.com]. Does any one know of any respected directors that bombed in their attempts to do a sci-fi, fantasy, comic book, etc. film? 

In related news, in Nov. 2015 Ron Howard told a podcast that George Lucas asked him to direct the Phantom Menace, but he turned GL down [ew.com]. It wasn't mention on pg. 156 of this thread (maybe somewhere else on the forums), probably due to all of the TFA hype at the time. If he had directed it, I am sure the actors' performances would have been better, but I don't think George would have changed the script, which is probably the weakest part of TPM's foundation. What is your speculation on how Star Wars history would have changed had Ron Howard directed Episode 1?

Top Bottom