• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lTZhpc2.jpg

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Only what you take with you.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MV5BODYyZjVlNzUtM2I1ZS00MGVmLTg1NTEtN2YyMjdjM2IzM2YwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM0MzU2NA@@._V1_SY252_SX448_AL_.jpg

TM2YC said:
Call me a prequel-hating-luddite if you will (With some good reason :-D) but Rebels S2 is kinda ruined for me, now it's been smeared all over with prequel sh*t, that was mostly absent from S1.

I'm only interested in the crew/family of the Ghost, I liked those guys. I didn't watch Clone Wars, so I couldn't give a rats a*s about Ashoka, and am irritated when she (and the Clone troopers) take screentime away from the Ghost characters I've grown to love.

Okay, so, I didn't watch The Clone Wars, but I just ran through the first two seasons of Rebels. And I stand by my preference for the animation style of TCW - I just prefer the sharper, more angular character looks than the mushy curves of Rebels. (Also, I gather that Lucas poured a whole lot of personal dough into TCW, giving it far greater detail and a much more epic scope.) That said, while the first season was acceptable youngling entertainment overall, I didn't get much into the characters - they're all pretty bland and kiddie-fied, so the heavy PT influence on season two (which the above post had prepare me for) didn't bother me all that much.

What was disappointing was that, instead of getting into the nitty-gritty of building the Rebellion, preferably with Leia and Mon Mothma in regular roles, season two instead almost entirely relied on small side missions that nominally furthered the cause, but mostly just rehashed paint-by-numbers plots from season one. And I know this is Star Wars, but must every single episode feature multiple battles? Every Star Trek series balanced episodes with space and phaser battles with ones that didn't, to their benefit. With a whole galaxy to play with, do we really need blasters, TIE fighters and lightsabers in every damn outing?

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whaaaaat.  That is crazy news.  The film was already shooting, wasn’t it?  That’s probably going to cause some big delay.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Creative Differences" noooooooo

Maybe Lord and Miller can pop back over to The Flash? Pretty sure that needs directors still...

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
Whaaaaat.  That is crazy news.  The film was already shooting, wasn’t it?  That’s probably going to cause some big delay.

According to one article they only had a few weeks left of shooting. My bet is there will be substantial reshoots.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Probably substantial reshoots.  I’m afraid the film will be getting the same treatment as Superman II got in 1979-1980…

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
Canon Editor said:

According to one article they only had a few weeks left of shooting. My bet is there will be substantial reshoots.

Probably adding more annoying footage of Vader making puns and a creepy CGI Lobot.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
Probably substantial reshoots.  I’m afraid the film will be getting the same treatment as Superman II got in 1979-1980…

I don't generally care about Superman but that film was pretty darn good, so I'm not afraid of that.

Zamros

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uch, I really hope Disney doesn't mess with Episodes 8 and 9 with reshoots.
This is getting a little silly.

TVs Frink said:
I don't generally care about Superman but that film was pretty darn good, so I'm not afraid of that.

The "Donner Cut" was still far superior though.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well like I said I don't care that much about Superman.  I'm sure I haven't even seen that cut.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just a guess:
Lord and Miller were making the character of Han Solo too "funny" and it did not please Kasdan. And if this is it, I'd agree with Kasdan. Solo should be egocentric and greedy. Only the audience should know he has a heart of gold. Han Solo's reactions to the action can be funny but HE should not be a comic relief himself.
If this is the problem, then we have another one: if Lord and Miller cast Hayden (EDIT: Alden!) for his comic hability, then now we'll have a main actor who is maybe not 100% suited for the new vision of the movie. (and this is also true for he entire cast)

All in all this is weird this is happening months after the beginning of the shooting. That's why I think it deals with the comedic aspect of it all. Making people laugh is sometimes more than just writing it on paper it also can be a lot of ideas who are coming on the set, the day of the shooting etc.. but on a movie of that scale I guess changing one comma to the script is a complex thing.
On one hand the standalone movies are meant to explore new sides of Star Wars but on the other Lucasfilm is (as it should) very cautious when it comes to continuity.
I can see Lucasfilm agreeing to make a funnier Star Wars movies than usual, but I don't see Lucasfilm agreeing to change well known characters into something else than what they should be.
And this (the change of character) can only really be seen once some footages are assembled. Or else I don't see why they waited that long before deciding they have creative differencies.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
These standalone movies have certainly had issues. The much ballyhooed "reshoots" for Rogue One, the Fantastic Firing of Trank, and now this. We only really have Rogue One to go on, but it seems that movie was better for the Lucasfilm meddling. If this results in a movie as good as Rogue One I'll have no issues.

Top Bottom