• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now available on Netflix....

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbExdNBjOfQ[/video]

Being a Trek guy, I was not aware of this story... the animosity between Prowse and Lucas... I found this doc very entertaining and intriguing.

Hardbackyoyo

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can't decide if it really is worth owning the Prequel Trilogy on Blu-Ray. I'm not talking about the quality of the movies themselves, I'm talking about the presentations. The Phantom Menace has DNR, and Attack of the Clones has a teal tint added. I can't decide for myself if they ruin the look or not.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Seems like the least of the problems the prequels have.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hardbackyoyo said:
I can't decide if it really is worth owning the Prequel Trilogy on Blu-Ray. I'm not talking about the quality of the movies themselves, I'm talking about the presentations. The Phantom Menace has DNR, and Attack of the Clones has a teal tint added. I can't decide for myself if they ruin the look or not.

I would buy the Blu-rays only in the "The Complete Saga" box set, for the content.  Other than the first episode, which has some "decent" modifications, second and third aren't improved IN ANY WAY and I still tend to watch 2004 DVDs/Theatrical versions for the Original Trilogy and the original DVDs for the prequels.  Oh I love DVDs.

Hardbackyoyo

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I want you all to just think about it for a moment. Are the prequels really all that bad? I mean, some of the criticisms certain people have towards the PT were also prevalent in the OT.

Hardbackyoyo

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I want you all to just think about it for a moment. Are the prequels really all that bad? I mean, some of the criticisms certain people have towards the PT were also prevalent in the OT.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hardbackyoyo said:

I thought about it for a moment and they are still really that bad.

Please stop keep deleting your posts. If you want to change something you wrote, simply edit the post.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hardbackyoyo said:

I personally don't like the prequels, but I don't think they're awful like most people do and I appreciate what George Lucas tried to do. He's a great idea guy but a bad screenwriter and director.

Before anything else: John Williams's score. Fucking brilliant.

The Phantom Menace was legit bad. Even though I like the story, the characters (except Jar-Jar), the themes, the beautiful different worlds, and the action... The film was most of the time dull. No fun characters like Han Solo in the OT or Obi-Wan in the Prequel Sequels, too much politics, too much Jar-Jar... Just a dull, tonally awkward mess. 4/10

Attack of the Clones... I'm conflicted. I mean a lot of the things said against the movie I agree with. Anakin and Padme is the worst romance put onscreen, the acting and dialogue is worse than ever, green-screen was overused, worst lightsaber battle ever (not the Yoda one) etc. But I also find things that balance everything that's bad. Obi-Wan is very fun and likeable, the Clone Army plot is very intriguing and interesting, the arena battle is spectacular, we got to see Yoda fight which is fantastic, I love the themes of the story continuing from the first one... Overall I think it's average, an equal amount of good and bad. 5/10

Revenge of the Sith, I haven't watched it in a while but I think it's okay. 6/10 Gonna watch again soon.

Something I admire in all of the PT films is how we got to see all the different worlds, exotic environments and different species in the galaxy far, far away. The prequels were creative in its environment. Watching the behind the scenes discovering how they came up with them. Quite fascinating.

So yeah, I don't like the prequels, but I don't dislike them either. They're mediocre but I appreciate what Lucas tried to do.

Anyway, I don't think saying think ablut it to everyone would change people's minds. Just a friendly warning, don't try to force people your opinion. I'm not saying you're doing it, just be careful. Other than that you can talk about and feel free try to convince people. Just accept it when they aren't convinced and don't try to force it like you tried with adywan.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
From the stance of visuals,  I thought The Phantom Menace was the best.  It had the most practical fx of the prequels and looked the most like Star Wars to me. 

I stopped watching movies in the theater for 8 years or so after watching the terrible cgi fest that was Attack of the Clones.  The acting and story line were atrocious and the the visuals were like a video game. 

I felt that Revenge of the Sith,  while the first minute looked fantastic,  had no substance.  The story was hollow and forced. The characters were so terrible that I didn't care about them at all. The only redeeming quality of this movie for me was Obi-Wan.  Even then, it was hard to watch his character in such a sterile environment.The acting again was terrible and the battles were laughable. 

The OT never left the realm of somewhat believable. The most far fetched moments are when Han,  Chewie,  and Leia go outside in space to get rid of mynocks without space suits, sounds in space, and the speeds in which they maneuvered to name a few.  But as to the human factor,  a real person did Luke's flips,  they made their creatures in real life,  and they didn't shoot infront of a green screen for the entire movie.

The prequels are terrible mostly due to the terrible acting,  directing,  and visuals.  In other words,  they are terrible because they are subpar entries into a first class universe.

Just my two galactic credits.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
From the stance of visuals,  I thought The Phantom Menace was the best.  It had the most practical fx of the prequels and looked the most like Star Wars to me. 

I stopped watching movies in the theater for 8 years or so after watching the terrible cgi fest that was Attack of the Clones.  The acting and story line were atrocious and the the visuals were like a video game. 

I felt that Revenge of the Sith,  while the first minute looked fantastic,  had no substance.  The story was hollow and forced. The characters were so terrible that I didn't care about them at all. The only redeeming quality of this movie for me was Obi-Wan.  Even then, it was hard to watch his character in such a sterile environment.The acting again was terrible and the battles were laughable. 

The OT never left the realm of somewhat believable. The most far fetched moments are when Han,  Chewie,  and Leia go outside in space to get rid of mynocks without space suits, sounds in space, and the speeds in which they maneuvered to name a few.  But as to the human factor,  a real person did Luke's flips,  they made their creatures in real life,  and they didn't shoot infront of a green screen for the entire movie.

The prequels are terrible mostly due to the terrible acting,  directing,  and visuals.  In other words,  they are terrible because they are subpar entries into a first class universe.

Just my two galactic credits.

Am I the only one who thinks the creative, unique worlds of the prequels is how Star Wars should look, and not the limited environments of the OT and the lazy fan-service environments of The Force Awakens? The limitations of the OT I understand, though even then creative places like Bespin were made. The Force Awakens was inexcusable, the environments were just familiar Earth environments. The prequels while admittedly overused the CGI, constantly misused the green screen tech and didn't use enough practical props, in my humble opinion created admirable in its creative, beautiful environments.

The Phantom Menace looks a bit dated but still pretty good. They should have used more practical effects for the creatures for sure, but for the CGI environments and use of the green screen tech, it was great.

Attack of the Clones continued on with the CGI creatures and the CGI environments, but this time not enough practical sets were used and the actors were just pasted into the miniature or CGI environments, along with a terrible color grade resulting in a very fake look. Yes admittedly Attack of the Clones looked horribe.

Going to watch Revenge of the Sith again and post my thoughts afterwards. But from what I remember, despite the same overuse of CGI from the Attack of the Clones, it looked great. But I may be misremembering. And no substance, terrible characters? Gotta disagree.

What Star Wars should look like is the OT and TFA practical effect sets, props and creatures with maybe some exceptions but with the creative environments and unique worlds of the Prequels but the CGI and green screen effects not overused, like Phantom Menace and unlike Attack of the Clones.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In talking to friends and acquaintances, I've generally found that if a person 30 yrs or older grew up watching the OT they loathe the prequels. If they didn't grow up with the OT they think that the prequels are ok at best. Most of the younger crowd seems to be ok with the prequels.

I grew up watching classics and fantastic acting so I expect to see that endure in our current cinema. Sadly, acting, and directing for that matter, are a lost art when they should be the integral pieces presenting a narrative.

I don't think it's too far fetched to think that other inhabitable worlds would be very similar to our own. There are infinite possibilities of variety, but I don't think a world that could support life would be drastically different than ours. A great example of earth based, but drastically different presentations, are the worlds explored in Interstellar. If Star Wars goes this route, which it its, they will draw in audiences visually because the viewer will feel a familiarity to the environment. Plant and animal structures are developed for practicality. They have to serve a purpose. I really can't see the practicality of a planet like Felucia and it's plant life forms that were presented. TFA got it right in that it was, for the most part, real environments. The similarity to the OT was on purpose in order to ease us into the story. Still, the visuals were very unique beyond that of Jakku. Sure there was snow, but it wasn't Hoth like. Yes there were corridors that looked Imperial,  but the integration of natural forms such as rock walls was great. Takodana was a unique location that had not been seen yet. I'd rather see the reality of structures than obviously cgi environments that one could never survive in (think Mustafar and the entire fiasco that is the ending duel). 

Rogue One is another example of getting it right, from what we've seen so far. It has a very unique setting for Jyn's home world. We also get a tropical setting that is new to Star Wars. Sure I may be biased, but storytelling is either about dispensing belief or encouraging it. We already have laser blasters, aliens, and lightsabers. We need some grounding to make those objects and creatures real. Mirroring our earthly environments makes Star Wars tangible, as does the use of practical effects. TFA's hallmark is that it felt like Star Wars, even with brand new ideas, concepts, and cinematography. The prequels had the appearance of Star Wars, but they lacked almost any feeling of being a Star Wars movie.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoy TFA and loathe the prequels so much that I can't be bothered to complain about the particular environments that were chosen for either one.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WohAV6Ml.jpg

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't actually click this link, unless you want a completely annoying self-loading video to ruin your day. 

Star Wars Rebels Showrunner Really Surprised What Thrawn Means to Fans

TL;DR: Dave Filoni was surprised that Star Wars fans cared about Thrawn. 

Proof positive that this man has no business running a Star Wars show. The clips of Thrawn I've seen drive home the fact that Rebels can take any element of the Star Wars universe and ruin it. I really wish we could get a decent Star Wars show.

Hardbackyoyo

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
The prequels had the appearance of Star Wars, but they lacked almost any feeling of being a Star Wars movie.

That's because the PT took place during a time of prosperity before the Empire took over everything.

Top Bottom