• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hardbackyoyo said:
I'd argue that Battlefield: Earth, Batman & Robin, The Room and the Jem and the Holograms movie are even more poorly made, but hey, to each his own, I guess.

An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition...

hqdefault.jpg

...it's not listing some other entirely unrelated things that are also bad.

Hardbackyoyo said:
Art is entirely subjective.

No not entirely. I'll never be able to except that saying "the prequels are poorly made movies" is subjective. It's the same as saying that "the construction on the leaning tower of Pisa's foundations were poorly made" is a subjective statement. It isn't and that's seprate from holding the opinion that it's a beautiful piece of architecture. If you can look past the massive flaws in the prequels and enjoy them, then that's your subjective opinion and totally fine. The flaws are still there.

Hardbackyoyo said:
I don't really like Mad Max: Fury Road, but I always have a great time watching The Amazing Spider-Man 2. Yeah! I said it!

Nobody is surprised.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
To me the funny thing is, I WAS actually considering watching it. But I just found out you can't watch for free! Instead it's $3 to rent on a streaming service other than the ones I already pay for. This tells me the film is definitely not for general audiences, and really is only for prequel apologists. Who else would pay to watch a bunch of people trying to justify or defend the prequels? 

I was hoping for something like "The Death of 'Superman Lives': What Happened?" (which is free to watch on youtube btw), in which the filmmaker created a documentary about the never-made Nicolas Cage Superman film. I went into that one thinking it was just going to be bashing the failed idea, because all anyone had ever known about it was what Kevin Smith said publicly and the one or two images of test suits. Instead, it was a really well made, unbiased look at the weirdest superhero movie we never got, and the filmmaker was able to keep the presentation mostly unbiased about whether the movie would have been any good or really bad. He even made me wish the movie had been made, regardless of whether it would have been good or bad, just to see something so weird and different. All of that, for free. 

Alas, unless this one starts allowing free views, I won't be watching. It seems its intention is to be something like the philosophical opposite to the Plinkett reviews (which are free to watch on youtube btw). In that, it has already set itself up for a limited audience. Add to that the fact that there is no reputation or draw from the filmmaker, that this may be the first thing they've made. Basically if you're waiting for it to get popular, you'll be waiting a loooong time.

Hardbackyoyo

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
To me the funny thing is, I WAS actually considering watching it. But I just found out you can't watch for free! Instead it's $3 to rent on a streaming service other than the ones I already pay for. This tells me the film is definitely not for general audiences, and really is only for prequel apologists. Who else would pay to watch a bunch of people trying to justify or defend the prequels?

It actually looks at both sides of the argument.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hardbackyoyo said:
It actually looks at both sides of the argument.

So did 'The People Vs George Lucas', which I would favorably compare to The Death of Superman Lives, and though it also has a $3 dollar tag for rental, here it is on youtube to watch for free. While it is more about Star Wars and the special edition changes overall, it does also cover the prequels and the range of fan reactions. And the trailer didn't claim that the prequels would "save the world" so it automatically feels more credible. 

-VIDEO REMOVED BY ME - as was pointed out, it's probably not an official upload-

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How will the prequels save the world? Should I give away copies of the films on the street to people that don't want them and ask them to accept the movies into their heart? Because I can't afford to do that, but if the church of George wants to donate some copies I'd be willing to hand them out in my spare time. I'll wear my best threads too for effect, I have some big clonking stilt like black shiny fancy-lad shoes I could wear but I think there's still some poop on them from that time I wore them 11 years ago that I'd have to clean off. Would it be more appropriate to leave the poop on? Cause I can do that.
291-128F.jpg

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is that YouTube The People Vs George Lucas a legit upload from the creators? Based on the fact the same guy uploaded Religulous, I'm pretty sure it isn't. It's fine to not want to spend $3 on a pro-PT opinion documentary - I'm right there with you - but complaining about the existence of a fee in exchange for the filmmakers' labor strikes me as inappropriate.   ;)  

(Also, just because the preview features one guy saying the PT may save the world doesn't in of itself mean that's the documentary's thesis or perspective.)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Is that YouTube The People Vs George Lucas a legit upload from the creators? Based on the fact the same guy uploaded Religulous, I'm pretty sure it isn't. It's fine to not want to spend $3 on a pro-PT opinion documentary - I'm right there with you - but complaining about the existence of a fee in exchange for the filmmakers' labor strikes me as inappropriate.   ;)  

(Also, just because the preview features one guy saying the PT may save the world doesn't in of itself mean that's the documentary's thesis or perspective.)

You're right, everyone should pay the fee to watch the legit upload of The People Vs George Lucas, and the creators should put a copyright strike on the uploader who put up the version I linked, which I found from a VERY quick youtube search. I will remove the link, and if anyone wants to see it they can search for themselves, and if it's still on youtube, it's still there. If not, oh well. 

However, my complaint directed at the PT doc is more that it is isn't FOR me. I'm not the intended audience, and I believe the audience are people who would GLADLY pay to have their views of the prequel trilogy validated by other people on video. I'm super not interested, and if it were available officially for free, or on a service I already pay for, I would at least give it a chance. As it stands, I have a ton of content on many other services I can watch, and none will remind me of those awful PT movies. 

The film was crowd funded and independently made, so you can bet the lines from the trailer were hand-picked to represent the product. It's no accident that quote was the last line heard in the trailer.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Am I the only one who is interested in what this documentary has to say? I'm not a big fan of the prequels, I only appreciate what Lucas was trying to do, and I enjoy Revenge of the Sith even though it's not a very good movie. But I'm still going to watch it because I'm curious about other people's points of view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Am I the only one who is interested in what this documentary has to say?

No...

TM2YC said:
I'll watch it but I'll save it for when I need a laugh to cheer me up.

It should be interesting to see what arguments are brought up to excuse defend the prequels.

btw, I wouldn't say I "enjoy" ROTS like yourself but it verges on tolerable in a few places for me. I think it's the beneficiary of Lucas screwing up the first two PT movies' scripts so badly, that he had to cram the entire Anakin vs Ben, Clone Wars, Vader story into one movie. So things actually happen.... not very good things but still.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I could see myself checking it out if it were on Netflix Streaming. Pretty sure I watched The People vs. George Lucas there once, or may it was just the RedLetterMedia discussion. As lame as debating the artistic merits of the PT is, there's a certain soothing familiarity to it by now, like warm plain oatmeal.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
 btw, I wouldn't say I "enjoy" ROTS like yourself but it verges on tolerable in a few places for me. I think it's the beneficiary of Lucas screwing up the first two PT movies' scripts so badly, that he had to cram the entire Anakin vs Ben, Clone Wars, Vader story into one movie. So things actually happen.... not very good things but still.

I agree. I appreciate the effort put into the prequels, but the final products, especially Episode I & II, spent time on so much pointless filler that Episode III ended up a rushed movie. However I enjoy it because of the second half. We see what we wanted to see from the beginning like Anakin turning to the Dark Side, Palpatine taking over the Republic and creating the Galactic Empire and the epic face-off between Anakin and Obi-Wan. They're rushed and they're definitely not how it should have been, but I still enjoy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
 I only appreciate what Lucas was trying to do, and I enjoy Revenge of the Sith even though it's not a very good movie. But I'm still going to watch it because I'm curious about other people's points of view.

Bravo!

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
Masirimso17 said:
 I only appreciate what Lucas was trying to do, and I enjoy Revenge of the Sith even though it's not a very good movie. But I'm still going to watch it because I'm curious about other people's points of view.

Bravo!

I don't think Bravo has the rights to any of the Star Wars movies.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So that film has a free preview on Youtube I believe is legit. 

It's too slow for me, there's no hook. Good luck to those who are interested, I gave up 3 minutes in. Very glad I didn't waste 3 dollars out of curiosity on the full film.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This seems well made at least. I watched the whole preview. I won't watch more. I agree that the OT shares many of the flaws of the PT. there is poor dialogue, bad acting, etc. I think the primary failure of Star Wars post-Empire was not embracing the progression of maturity that film started. While I'm not a Harry Potter fan, that series seems to understand that the increasing depth and maturity of the story mirrored the aging of its fan base. Jedi seemed to be a retreat from that approach and it was one that started to lose me even as I was only 12.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
So that film has a free preview on Youtube I believe is legit. 

It's too slow for me, there's no hook. Good luck to those who are interested, I gave up 3 minutes in. Very glad I didn't waste 3 dollars out of curiosity on the full film

I endured the preview vid, I don't think I'll go for the full thing, but I did'nt think it was too bad....at least it did'nt seem to have any of the more grating and unfunny anti-Prequel videos or songs in it like  other documentaries tend to have. I liked the bit where someone's daughter texted her dad's friend and said the best part was any scene to do with the Senate...not because she had a clue what was going on in it, but because she liked Padme being all diplomatic.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
oh snap, Plinket returns for another full review (The Force Awakens):

Top Bottom