• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
from the nu porker:
Could the import of the invented mythology be too great, in Lucas’s mind, for him to subject it to the ambiguities of visual transformations?

what the phark does this even mean? if the writer keeps touching himself in that part of the brain, he'll grow hair on his palms.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You know that room of monkeys typing away? I think this is their first published piece.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
You know that room of monkeys typing away? I think this is their first published piece.

Seriously. Who the hell writes like that?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bf1.jpg

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
You should read the praise for AOTC and ROTS.

I'm a masochist so I did. Wow. There's no point in responding to it in detail but this sums it up:

4f725b5e2c4ec12c6d569c67623df4a6.jpg

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like the text font they used.
That's about it.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Something tells me we're all missing a joke, like it's some elaborately crafted Kaufman-esque satire/irony piece. If so, good work. If not, ftg.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The fact that it's New Yorker endorsed, rather than just basement-dweller produced, is what really gets me.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw this TFA image under "Quotes of the year" :-D...

30fae5b8c9dd83472cb0c49596ec3c13.jpg

theforce

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
- I can NEVER let someone say Mark Hamill done bad acting in ANY af the Star Wars movies, yet.
The fact he had some corny lines to say (just a few, IMO) does not mean that he does not delivered them in the best possible way.

Out of all three OT films, my favorite is ESB. I didn't really like ROTJ because I thought the Jabba scenes were slow and boring...I didn't really like the Ewoks....Han solos character was nothing like the previous two films...it was my least favorite of the OT. I always fast forward the ewoks and the jabba scenes...and Bobba Fett had no role other than to die in a pit. He was much better in ESB where he was cool....in ROTJ Bobba fett to me seemed like fanboy stuff.... but that's my opinion

What I did like were the Luke/darth vadar scenes...
I would be curious to see how many people here like ROTJ compared to ESB and ANH....

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theforce said:
I would be curious to see how many people here like ROTJ compared to ESB and ANH....

To me ROTJ is like Temple of Doom. I understand it's not the best movie but it is the one I watch the most.

I liked ROTJ the best for years when I was a kid for the simple fact that I was aware of Star Wars only in 1983 and I read the comic books of ROTJ (I already knew somehow that Vader was Luke's father anyway). So I WANTED to see ROTJ and i could not care less about Star Wars or ESB, lol. I almost watched those first two movies in VHS bootlegs because I wanted to see ROTJ (I saw them all in VHS bootleg by the end of 83 / early 84 if I'm correct).
I liked the ewoks just fine but what I realy liked was Jabba's palace, the huge space battle and the final between Luke/vader.

Then, shortly after, Episode 4 was my favorite. More fun, good characters.
Then ESB was my favorite, darker, visualy impressive. More meaningful.

Now I think that when I want to watch an original trilogy movie I probably watch Return of the Jedi the most. (the original cut, NOT the special edition that is now simply unwatchable after those very last changes made in 2011 for the bluray)
ROTJ is perhaps not the best movie out of the three but there is a charm to it that the other two don't have to me. There's more variety in the settings, in the actions, the space battle and the biker chase on Endor are still amazing to these days. The Emperor never been better on screen, etc.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theforce said:

Not many of us :-D. Even though thinking ROTJ is the best SW movie is the correct opinion to hold.

theforce said:
in ROTJ Bobba fett to me seemed like fanboy stuff

Remember there was no internet back in '81-82, so they didn't have the instant fan feedback they have now. So there really wasn't anything like "fan service". Which on one hand was a good thing as there was little pandering but also they would probably be mostly unaware that a small chracter like Boba Fett was hugely popular and deserving off an epic "fanboy" satisfying death.

theforce said:
Han solos character was nothing like the previous two films

Quite correct. It's his arc. He was a selfish scoundrel but after Jabba's Palace he'd found love, had all his friends risk their lives to save him and the little matter of being effectively reborn from the dead. He's a better person, as he should be.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The acting by mcdiarmid in RotJ was some of the best in the OT. His vocal modulations, the way he'd widely change his facial expression within the breadth of a sentence—you could tell the emperor was getting his rocks off being evil.

he truly is the people's emperor. I wonder how often he appeared on the evening news on the holo-sets of his subjects. . . .

theforce

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
The acting by mcdiarmid in RotJ was some of the best in the OT. His vocal modulations, the way he'd widely change his facial expression within the breadth of a sentence—you could tell the emperor was getting his rocks off being evil.

he truly is the people's emperor. I wonder how often he appeared on the evening news on the holo-sets of his subjects. . . .

I love Ian's Role as Palpatine...wonderful...i thought he was fantastic in all his appearances, especially his darth plagius story, I was zoned in on that story telling.

Hi voice is unique, I don't think the new star wars sequels will match Ian's Role. Palpatine is more bad ass than snoke in my opinion

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RotJ is basically three movies in one: Han's rescue, the Endor mission, and the Death Star.

Han's rescue is a 5-10 minute 007 opening sequence that includes, for no good reason, about half an hour of setup that does very little for the rest of the movie besides unfreeze Han. The choice to have Jabba's lair be on Tatooine was unfortunate, lazy and entirely avoidable, and the rescue "plan" makes no damn sense.

The Endor mission is a narrative and character-wise dead zone (I'm counting Luke and Leia's chat and Luke and Vader's meeting as being part of the Death Star section, because I can). It's overly cutesy, but also engaging, and the forest is a great new environment that offers hope for the future after the previous movies' planets of sand and ice.

So far, we have a mediocre to bad movie. But the Death Star stuff is genuinely excellent; just as good as ESB's filmmaking heights. And, after all, it's better to start a movie weak and finish strong than vice versa.

Conclusion: RotJ is the least of the OT, but still the third-best SW movie in terms of spirit and heart. (I acknowledge that, taken strictly on its own merits and in isolation, TFA may be a better flick, but I really can't forgive what it does to our three heroes post-Battle of Endor.) It could definitely use a fan edit to cut down the non-Death Star stuff to a minimum, mute helmet-less Anakin, and delete the Force ghosts at the end to keep the focus on our heroes. (I'd do it myself, but lack HD editing capability.)

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I rewatched the OT recently (Harmy's versions, of course), and I was surprised by how much I loved ROTJ. I remembered it as being way inferior to the other two and I prepared my girlfriend who was watching the OT for the first time for a significant drop in quality after ESB, but once I got through the slow and borderline nonsensical opening at Jabba's palace*, I really found a lot to enjoy. The ending is really strong, and the dialogue and lightsaber battle is great. Han has some clunky lines, but I can live with it. A fanedit that trims the opening, adds the deleted sand storm scene and reconstructs dialogue (if it's even possible), and makes Han less of a dolt would turn a good film into a great one.

Unpopular opinion: I don't mind the ewoks at all (some of the scenes are even pretty funny), and structurally the film would be really weird without them. Also, the forest chase scenes with the speeder bikes are great.

* Although am I alone in liking the Rancor scene and the human's love for it? It's the kind of silliness that really works in SW, imo. The spiritual successor to the Cantina Wolfman.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
structurally the film would be really weird without them.

Agreed, but I'd argue that's a flaw of the film, rather than an argument in favor of the Ewoks. My biggest problem with the Ewoks is that they can take out the Emperor's "best troops" with rocks and arrows. Lucas wanted a kiddie merchandising opportunity that also kicked ass and that was a major failure in my book.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
* Although am I alone in liking the Rancor scene and the human's love for it? It's the kind of silliness that really works in SW, imo.

No, you're not. The dude invested a lot of time and energy into that rancor.

Top Bottom