• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Please stop starting threads about articles about the Star Wars prequels. I ask not as a mod but as a person. But also kind of as a mod. This could easily have gone into the SW general discussion thread, and I'm debating whether to merge the threads.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
This could easily have gone into the SW general discussion thread, and I'm debating whether to merge the threads.

Done. We don't need a separate George Lucas apologist thread. We get it, theforce, you like the prequels. We're not buying the argument though (that has been made by other apologists). Brilliant? No. OK? At times.

And we could debate the motivation for why people edit the prequels. Is it mostly because they really like them and want to uncover the hidden brilliance? Eh, probably not. Is it because they love Star Wars, and they desperately want more Star Wars? Probably.

theforce

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry for posting in the wrong section...this site is huge...finding my way around it.

I don't think I am an apologist. I am a fan since the 70s and love star wars that's about it.

theforce

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
Is it because they love Star Wars, and they desperately want more Star Wars? Probably.

Well, then why not create a star wars fan film. For me a Fan Edit is just that, an edit of a current film in the hopes of improving it.
If you want more star wars, then an original fan film would be more appropriate I would think.

But that's just my opinion. I am not defending bad acting, or annoying characters. Just the narrative is buried in there unfortunately.

I think L8wtr'sversion was just that, an improvement in making the story (which is already there) more compelling.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theforce said:
Well, then why not create a star wars fan film...If you want more star wars, then an original fan film would be more appropriate I would think.

Some people do. But most are limited by tiny budgets and even worse acting. The prequels are so bad, that many people just choose to pretend they don't exist in their unedited forms. Editing them provides a way to add these films back into the Star Wars universe.

theforce said:
Just the narrative is buried in there unfortunately.

Well, you aren't just defending the narrative, you are calling it brilliant. It's far from that. The overall story isn't bad, but unfortunately the execution spoils just about everything

theforce said:
I think L8wtr'sversion was just that, an improvement in making the story (which is already there) more compelling.

Of course. That is one of the joys of fanediting: making some bad movies not as bad. I love L8wrtr, but he hasn't created a brilliant masterpiece out of the prequels. Like many others that have edited these movies, they have simply made bad movies more tolerable. This gives the editors, and those that watch these edits, a way to enjoy the prequels on some level which they otherwise might not have been able to do.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Who wants to write the prequels that should have been? Let's do a fan edit fan film! Now who wants to pay for it? Anyone?

theforce

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Different people have different opinions. The newer generation like the prequels, and most I have spoken to like them. The older fans don't like them as much or downright hate them.

To edit one part I think you have to see how it serves the story for the other episodes, which most faneditor a have done

A friend of mine never liked the original trilogies let alone the newer ones. He said it had a weak story, bad acting from Mark Hamil and the ewoks. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The only only thing I do agree with my friend is that as a kid I didn't like the ewoks.

The point of my post was that the 6 episode narrative is cool.

Robby sykes has his view point as well.

Worth 12 minutes of viewing lol

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
- I can NEVER let someone say Mark Hamill done bad acting in ANY af the Star Wars movies, yet.
The fact he had some corny lines to say (just a few, IMO) does not mean that he does not delivered them in the best possible way.

- Old fan mostly does no like the prequels and more younger fans like the prequels, indeed.
But older fans are not blind minded about the prequel area. For exemple a lot of them, me included, like the Clones Wars show a lot. Is it "for kids"? Yes. Is it in the world of the prequel? yes. Is it WAY better than anything on the prequels movies? YES (mostly starting at season 2).

theforce

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM, I agree with you about mark hamil, I don't think he's a bad actor, my friend does...lol.

I didn't start the topic to start argument...I just started the topic to discuss the article I posted about the narrative of the story and not the actual acting and pacing of the films.....yes they had problems.

http://www.starwarsringtheory.com/

It was an interesting read along with the different viewpoint from the article from youtube video from Enforcedstorm4

From Robby Sykes:

These are not good as films, but as a narrative, the story is brilliant. This is a Story Analysis. That's why I've made this- I'm not defending poor filmmaking.

The Star Wars prequel trilogy has become infamous for being considered one of the greatest let downs in cinematic history. When compared to the original Star Wars and its sequels, some fans of the franchise refuse to even acknowledge the existence of the newer installments. People often complain about the overuse of visual effects, the poor acting, poor direction, Jar Jar Binks, etc. But when looking past things that the general public claims make these films “Terrible,” there is a genuine and honestly great story that can not only stand on it’s own as a film series, but contributes to the original trilogy and overall moral told in the Saga itself. Although, many of the essential story elements and themes found in these prequels are muddied by the great abundance of negative aspects that these films have become famous for. The Star Wars Prequels are not bad in a narrative sense; on the surface they may seem that way, though through the “denseness” there is a brilliant story to witness, and here we unearth that story for you.

I am not posting articles because I believe the prequels to be gold. I just wanted to bounce ideas off what the article was trying to convey....and if we had more deleted footage that was any good...maybe we can improve that narrative.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The trailer for the second half of Season 2 of Rebels has gone online.

To be honest, I often found Clone Wars boring, but this looks super exciting. We've been waiting for 8 years for the payoff of Anakin's mentorship of Ashoka. What a powerful storyline!

Plus, the return of James Earl Jones and Frank Oz? Cool new variations on lightsabers? Yes, please!

Honestly, I think I'm more excited for this than I am for Rogue One.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
12650961_442714692519990_8205725253685391640_n.jpg

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Honestly, I think I'm more excited for this than I am for Rogue One.

Wow. I have zero interest in Rebels, and I want to see Rogue One even more than Episode 8.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
Wow. I have zero interest in Rebels, and I want to see Rogue One even more than Episode 8.

I would not say that I have zero interest in Rebels, but it's true that it fails to get me super excited. It feels more original trilogy than Clone Wars, of course, but I still prefer Clone Wars even though I don't like the prequels.
I think it's because the episodes of rebels are less various (visualy and story wise) and less bold than Clone Wars. And I really dont care for Ezra Bridger (one of the main character) so far.

And while I can't wait for Episode 8, I must say that Rogue One is more than enough to make me wait.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
And I really dont care for Ezra Bridger (one of the main character) so far.

Are you saying you prefer another main character better than Ezra?

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not sure I'd call Ezra the main character anymore, Rebels has become more of an ensemble job at this point, and Ezra has grown a lot more interesting and likable. That he's going to cross paths with Darth Maul is intriguing to me, and that he's going to be in the show at the same time as Vader, there is a possibility for them to be on screen together. I've set aside the fact that his revival story was flimsy. He was such a wasted villain that one of the bright spots of the CW was his arc. A possible conflict between he and Vader has potential (admittedly good potential and bad potential). I enjoy both The Clone Wars and Rebels for what they are, and don't hold against them what they are not.
Overall I have really enjoyed it so far. Also, it's 100% Jar Jar free, unlike the Clone Wars.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Are you saying you prefer another main character better than Ezra?

Pretty much everyone else, yes. Even Chopper is better than Ezra.
Ezra is very often the focus of the episodes and I don't know why but his character does not compute with me.

I think my main problem with Rebels is that by the end of the first season each episode was like: they go on a mission, Ezra have problems (with adults authority, with his past, with stupid things he does, etc...), and by the end he seems to have learn his lesson, exept it's the same plot in the next episode. It was getting boring, fast. Hence my dislike of Ezra.
In Clone Wars you have an episode centered on Yoda, then a trilogy of episodes focusing on the war, then an episode with Anakin and Ashoka on a detective mission, then a silly episode for the kids with Jar jar, then some incredible episodes happening almost in another dimension focusing on the Force itself, then stories with Mandalorians, Calamary world, etc...
In Rebels you have, well, rebels on mission... running in grey corridors, stealing ships from the Empire, with Ezra's anoying behaviors every couple of episodes... it's not enough to get me excited.
Season 2 finaly starts to get more variety but i'm not hooked like I could have been at certain moments of Clone Wars.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I see my joke failed to land.

Top Bottom