• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

Barabba

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The scene with her funeral also has her family in it. Lots of faneditors throw that scene with the family in Episode 2, so having more of them in Episode 3 would be good, no?

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In my ever-in-gestation Star Wars edits, I lose the nonsense about Padme "losing the will to live" (Anakin chokes her nearly to death, and then she dies just after giving birth). But then I also intend to cut the line in RotJ about Leia remembering her mother. Letting Padme live doesn't really resolve the issue. If Luke and Leia are twins, how come Leia can remember Padme but Luke can't? Would Padme really have abandoned Luke to be raised by Owen and Beru if she was still alive and raising Leia?

Mind you, I'm not telling anyone else how to handle their edits. I'm explaining the choices I intend to make. There is no perfect solution, so whatever anyone does is just one's own best guess as to how to fix it with the footage available.

Also, it's often easier to snip one small part out of the OT rather than try to make the PT fit exactly. For instance, I intend to cut Ben's line in Ep. IV about Anakin being "a great pilot and a good friend." We see no examples of those things anywhere in the PT, and it's a tiny snip that doesn't drastically alter Ep. IV. It's not because Ep. IV is flawed; it's just a matter of making the best of what we have to work with.

And again, that's just my way of doing it. I actually look forward to seeing the "Padme lives" edits because it's a unique and innovative way to handle the problem, and as I said, there is no one perfect solution.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What's wrong with Leia remembering Jimmy Smits' wife instead of Natalie Portman? That's how I always interpreted it, and no need to edit ROTJ.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
What's wrong with Leia remembering Jimmy Smits' wife instead of Natalie Portman? That's how I always interpreted it, and no need to edit ROTJ.

That's who I feel Leia was talking about as well. The only problem with it is Luke says, "Your real mother" and Leia doesn't go "Wait, what do mean my real​ mother? I was adopted??"

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Her "real mother" died when she was very young, the other mom could have easily been Smits' second wife.

If we go down the road of editing the OT, there are all sorts of inconsistencies to "fix." Better make Obi remember R2...

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
If we go down the road of editing the OT, there are all sorts of inconsistencies to "fix." Better make Obi remember R2...

Actually, in the new novelization 'The Princess, the Scoundrel and the Farm Boy', Ben whispers to R2 "Good to be flying with you again, old friend" - or something like that... ;-)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't get me started on novelizations...

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's all very clear if you read the cereal boxes.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's easy to fix the Ben/R2 issue. Just remember that Ben lies straight up to Luke's face about nearly killing his father. Saying he doesn't know R2 would be a walk in the park.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Her "real mother" died when she was very young, the other mom could have easily been Smits' second wife.

But there's no story purpose in Luke asking about that. He's thinking about his birth father and how he never really had a family like that. He wants to learn something about his own birth mother, to have something to hang on to. Up until this point in his life, he knew no one who he could ask about his mother. (Actually, he probably did ask Owen and Beru, who gave some hastily made-up answer.)

Asking Leia about her adoptive mother would be rather random and non sequitur. He's not related to Ms. Organa and he's never met her either.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DominicCobb said:
It's all very clear if you read the cereal boxes.
I don't know if I can like this enough.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
L8wrtr said:
It's easy to fix the Ben/R2 issue. Just remember that Ben lies straight up to Luke's face about nearly killing his father. Saying he doesn't know R2 would be a walk in the park.

Yup, but he does not say that he does not know R2.
He does not "seem to remember ever owning a droid."
So, either:
1 - he really lost a good portion of his memory.
2 - he lies, lies and lies again.
3 - he never felt like R2 was "his". Or any droids. So what he says is true. From a certain point of view.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
56b3750888b5bfdbffd55043d5a469d0.jpg

I post this every time the topic of Obi-wan's lies comes up. :p

Barabba

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Yup, but he does not say that he does not know R2.
He does not "seem to remember ever owning a droid."
So, either:
1 - he really lost a good portion of his memory.
2 - he lies, lies and lies again.
3 - he never felt like R2 was "his". Or any droids. So what he says is true. From a certain point of view.
Well, just like with Episode 2 fanedits, someone could dub a line in when it cuts away after he says "Hello there! [cut]-Artoo!" so the audience can make the logical jump that they know each other.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fanedit wise, you just have to treat the prequels as a separate (But sorta similar) continuity. The two trilogies cannot be tallied up, that way madness lies. e.g. Padme needs to die at the end of ROTS, because the two weirdo space-monks wouldn't be able to abduct her son otherwise.

I still struggle to conceive of a credible reason to explain how Luke and Leia could be separated at birth, while their mother was still living? Maybe if there had been a prophecy specifically stating "The son of Skywalker would destroy the Sith" and Anakin was only aware that his wife was pregnant with one child (Because space Ultra-Scans are cr*p?) then maybe it would make sense that only Luke had to be hidden from Palpatine/Vader.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now I try to see the PT as kind of peplum movies. It's old fashioned (in the way the "romance" is done for example), cheesy at parts, you obviously have some anachronisms (with the OT) but in the end you don't care because you know it's not exactly what happened. It's "canon legend" to me. It's there. It gives you the back story. But you don't have to trust everything it says.

Top Bottom