• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
tRANPoj.png

dUZ6BNa.png

mAkZND2.png

kyE7tXW.png

ZaMg9NS.jpg

(^This one is more relevant for the folks at OT.com)

Barabba

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So, I don't get why people try to bend over backwards to have Padme live in Episode 3 using footage that's not from Episode 3, especially when they could just cut one line of dialogue from Episode 6 to make it all mesh together, "but she was very beautiful".

Also, they don't even need to delete that line, portraits are a thing in Star Wars:
latest

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Because the PT is garbage-full of silly soap opera ideas, and the over-explanation of everything is what ruined it for so many fans. Why do you think we have countless edits of the prequels on this site? Because people desperately want them to be as good as the OT. Editing the original trilogy so that it lines up with silly or terrible ideas that Lucas created for the prequels is dumb.

Barabba

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe the Original Trilogy has some dumb ideas that inhibit the Prequels from getting to tell the stories they want to. Like, Episode 3 is all about Padme dying and Anakin failing to save her/killing her maybe, but Episode 3 can't have that because of ONE problematic line in Episode 6.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Barabba said:
Maybe the Original Trilogy has some dumb ideas that inhibit the Prequels from getting to tell the stories they want to.

FindSpark-resident-assistant-1.gif

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I edited out Leia's line in the ROTJ NPR audio dramas so that it makes more sense when I listen to them chronologically after the PT audiobooks.

I love Star Wars, but it's not that sacred to me, I suppose. *shrug*

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The OT certainly isn't perfect, and I don't think it's sacred. That said, editing it to line up with the PT (which in my opinion has few redeeming qualities) is backwards. This is something Lucas has tried to do with each new release of the OT.

Barabba

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dude, it's only one line, one line that makes people go, "How'd she know her mother was beautiful?" Removing it removes the confusion, and allows the movie to co-exist with every Episode 3 fanedit.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dude.

For me, it isn't about a single line. It's about the idea that she's "lost the will to live." Many themes in the PT play out like a bad soap opera. If cutting that line in ROTJ works for you, go for it, but I'm not really into changing the OT to align with some of the bad ideas inherent in the prequels.

Dr. Ball summarizes the Padme issue nicely:

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
The OT certainly isn't perfect, and I don't think it's sacred. That said, editing it to line up with the PT (which in my opinion has few redeeming qualities) is backwards. This is something Lucas has tried to do with each new release of the OT.

Fair enough. I recently re-watched all the SW films prior to the release of TFA; I hadn't seen them for years. Episode I is a fun kid's movie (I'm looking forward to showing it to my 6yr old who's just getting into SW; she'll get a kick out of it, I'm sure). Episode II is completely forgettable, but Episode III is great and much better than I remembered. In fact, I probably enjoyed it more than ROTJ.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Garp said:
Fair enough. I recently re-watched all the SW films prior to the release of TFA; I hadn't seen them for years. Episode I is a fun kid's movie (I'm looking forward to showing it to my 6yr old who's just getting into SW; she'll get a kick out of it, I'm sure). Episode II is completely forgettable, but Episode III is great and much better than I remembered. In fact, I probably enjoyed it more than ROTJ.

To each their own. I personally don't understand what people see in episode III. It has some cool moments, but its plagued with a lot of the issues that episode II had. I do think that the Phantom Menace has potential, and can be fun.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Garp said:
Episode III is great and much better than I remembered. In fact, I probably enjoyed it more than ROTJ.

I'm going to go farther than Throw and say this is crazy. My wife and I just watched ROTS last night. We watched L8wrtr's version (there's no way anyone in my house is allowed to watch the original). It's not a good movie. There are some good bits, and some great ideas, but the execution is terrible. The dialogue is bad. Half the movie looks like a video game. The Jedi are absolute morons (my wife complained about this endlessly). Yoda jumps around with a lightsaber like he's got a lit firecracker in his ass. Ian is generally very good but in the final fight with Yoda he cackles the scenery (rather than chewing it) way past the point of insanity. Hayden is out-acted by the few sets they actually built. I could go on but I'm just getting more and more depressed as I type.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:

Yes. Lucas had a template in place (OT) and if he fucked it up by failing to align the PT with it, it's the PT that should be fixed wherever possible.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I'm going to go farther than Throw and say this is crazy. My wife and I just watched ROTS last night. We watched L8wrtr's version (there's no way anyone in my house is allowed to watch the original). It's not a good movie. There are some good bits, and some great ideas, but the execution is terrible. The dialogue is bad. Half the movie looks like a video game. The Jedi are absolute morons (my wife complained about this endlessly). Yoda jumps around with a lightsaber like he's got a lit firecracker in his ass. Ian is generally very good but in the final fight with Yoda he cackles the scenery (rather than chewing it) way past the point of insanity. Hayden is out-acted by the few sets they actually built. I could go on but I'm just getting more and more depressed as I type.

Yeah, this is how I feel. I was trying to reign it in though with my earlier posts. I can sum up the prequels like this:

Episode 1 - Not a great movie. It has redeeming qualities, and could have been a lot better. It has a few really awful components (e.g., Jar Jar) that are so bad that people generally call this the worst of the lot. However, if you look past those parts, its far superior to the other 2 prequels.

Episode 2 - This is a terrible movie. Period. The only thing I like about this movie is the design (not the execution) of the Kaminoans.

Episode 3 - This is a terrible movie that has one or two bits that are actually pretty darn cool (the opening battle/music). However, the bad parts (see Frink's post) in no way can be overlooked nor can those cool parts save the movie.

People keep editing these movies though because they so desperately want more Star Wars. So, editing the OT to align with some of the bad ideas inherent in the PT is the wrong move. Sure, it may be easier to delete that line in ROTJ, but that doesn't mean it is a better move.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For another thread, but have you seen TFA yet?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
For another thread, but have you seen TFA yet?

Yes, 3 times so far. I really liked it. Not perfect, but any faults are very minor. Certain aspects are on par or even better than the OT, but it sits comfortably as my 4th favorite Star Wars film.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Call me crazy, but while on principle I believe the PT should be edited to fit the OT, I actually agree on the specific issue of Padme's death. Save for "losing the will to live" (which is easily removed), her death is actually fairly well executed and adds some much needed dramatic power (and irony) to the film. Besides, I never really cared much for the ROTJ line, and I think that film needs a good fan edit anyway.

Top Bottom