• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Looks like Rian Johnson will be writing and directing Episode XIII and will write the treatment for IX.

The Wrap

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds like good news to me. Loved Brick, liked Looper, but his Breaking Bad episodes were among the best, and Ozymandias may have been the show 's best.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Disney and Lucasfilm's decision to hire Johnson to make the eighth “Star Wars” movie ensures that Abrams will direct the follow-up to “Episode VII,” which is currently shooting in London.

That's some great proofreading right there.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, that part cracks me up. The posters in the comments are (quite rightly) taking the column to task for this confusing and contradictory sentence.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here are some of my favorite articles on the subject that make some of the interesting and salient points on the matter:

http://www.slashfilm.com/rian-johnson-star-wars/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-why-rian-johnson-713751

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/06/20/rian-johnson-star-wars/

Favorite quotes from these articles:

"Hiring Johnson says 'We want a filmmaker who can bring real gravitas to the series. A filmmaker whose work has been anything but conventional.' He’ll have to make something somewhat conventional with Episode VIII, of course, but with several years to work on a screenplay you can bet Johnson will infuse it with the passion and talent he’s shown in spades through his first few films." (Slashfilm)

"(Johnson) remains more of an unknown for Disney than any other director named to date for the franchise to date -- and yet, he’s the one who’s apparently being given the keys to the most important car in this metaphorical garage." (THR)

"The optimistic hope is that the rebooted Star Wars becomes a kind of multi-demographic Alien franchise, a series that lets every director put their own distinctive spin on the material." (EW)

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is actually a pretty cool fan trailer for SW!
[video=youtube_share;TLyNMSkTiGg]

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome fan trailer :) loving how that was cut together.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aww, man, did not like seeing that Disney logo at the end.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
and like every other recent trailer, it gives away far too many plot details...

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vultural said:
Aww, man, did not like seeing that Disney logo at the end.

Yeah. When Episode VII rolls around, it will be very jarring to not have the Fox fanfare preceding "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....".

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
and the GOTG-style prequel trailer.
[video=youtube_share;lYMJdhbitXQ]

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
emanswfan said:
and the GOTG-style prequel trailer.
[video=youtube_share;lYMJdhbitXQ]

Wow, I want to see that movie!
Oh, wait...

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, at least there was no talking fox.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This rumor seems to surface about once a year or so since Disney bought the rights. I'm deeply skeptical.

1) George says that the SE's are the definitive versions. Disney got the rights from George and wants to play nice. I don't see them going against the SE's any more than I see them doing anything to contradict the prequels.

2) I'm pretty sure that Disney owns the rights to the Star Wars brand and to future Star Wars movies, but that Fox retains the right to distribute the classic films. That's why Bob Iger was keen on creating new movies as part of the deal; the Mouse House doesn't get nearly as much money just from the re-releases done by another studio. Disney wants films that it can own outright. (I could be wrong on this, though.)

3) Why is it that every report about a restoration on the Star Wars movies always features some part about how the people working on it were shocked to find the negatives in such bad shape? These aren't some obscure films; these are extremely popular movies that have been restored over and over again over the past 20 years or so. Are we really to believe that each time, no one thought to take better care of the original prints for the next time around?

4) The original source for this rumor is comicbook.com, who I've never heard of before and who doesn't have a reputation like some other sites. And "Original Star Wars movies to be released!" is real easy link bait to drive up hits on their site. If it doesn't happen, they can just claim that someone at Lucasfilm must have changed their minds.

Anyway, nothing is impossible. I never thought I'd see Sonic the Hedgehog games coming out on a Nintendo system. Heck, I never thought I'd be living in an age where SW Ep. VII was being filmed. So this still could happen. But I'm not holding my breath.

At any rate, thanks for sharing, elbarto!

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
4) The original source for this rumor is comicbook.com, who I've never heard of before and who doesn't have a reputation like some other sites. And "Original Star Wars movies to be released!" is real easy link bait to drive up hits on their site. If it doesn't happen, they can just claim that someone at Lucasfilm must have changed their minds.

I agree with all your points, but especially this one.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, that article writer wonderfully said what I was trying to say.

Top Bottom