• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That rumor sadly just seems to be many original Star Wars fans' dreams. Then again, isn't Disney the place where dreams come true?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You know, it's bad enough to just post a news link with no explanation or discussion, but that link title doesn't even give me a proper idea of what I'm clicking on. Boo-urns.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
You know, it's bad enough to just post a news link with no explanation or discussion, but that link title doesn't even give me a proper idea of what I'm clicking on. Boo-urns.

Really!? Are you not familiar with the AV Club or the Onion? I thought it would be pretty clear thatbit is a humorous take on the official photo released to commemorate the first day of shooting. My bad, I guess.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm familiar with The Onion but not AV Club, but even so all I saw was the link description, not the source.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I'm familiar with The Onion but not AV Club, but even so all I saw was the link description, not the source.

Not sure how it displays for you but here's what I see:

6y5azudy.jpg

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I mean I didn't pay attention to the source in the link. Forget it.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Garp said:
Original, unaltered SW movies to be released on blu-ray?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05...al-trilogy-re-release-on-blu-rayvod-and-more/

Honestly doubt it, but still.

(Also, the other rumor here that the prequels will go the way of the EU books, ready for a reboot, seems even less likely.)

Yeah, sadly both of these seem way too far-fetched. Lucas may not own these things outright anymore but in no way is Disney (or Kathleen Kennedy) going to deliberately give Lucas the finger, metaphorically speaking.

Lucas insists that the latest alterations to the OT, including the "Nooooo" and all that other garbage, are the official versions, and that all previous versions are just "workprints." At best, Disney will slap out another version of the '95 prints on Blu-ray, which is possibly more insulting than not releasing them at all.

And any prequel/spinoff films will probably cover areas of the continuity that haven't been seen before now, such as, say, young Han Solo and Boba Fett as rivals with each other over some kind of bounty (I could really get into that idea, actually). I can't see the new owners deliberately thumbing their nose at George and saying, "This is how Anakin Skywalker really fell to the dark side."

Personally, it sounds like crazy fanboy talk to me. (Still, thanks for posting the article, garp! It's a worthwhile discussion point.)

And while I would love to get the real original films on Blu-ray, I have no desire to waste any more time on Anakin Skywalker. We've got three movies and a six-year TV show. Let's move on to some other, more interesting characters.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
Not sure how it displays for you but here's what I see:

6y5azudy.jpg

yeah, that's what we all see. The point is, posting links without even a half a sentence of info is really annoying.

Garp

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Yeah, sadly both of these seem way too far-fetched. Lucas may not own these things outright anymore but in no way is Disney (or Kathleen Kennedy) going to deliberately give Lucas the finger, metaphorically speaking.

Lucas insists that the latest alterations to the OT, including the "Nooooo" and all that other garbage, are the official versions, and that all previous versions are just "workprints." At best, Disney will slap out another version of the '95 prints on Blu-ray, which is possibly more insulting than not releasing them at all.

And any prequel/spinoff films will probably cover areas of the continuity that haven't been seen before now, such as, say, young Han Solo and Boba Fett as rivals with each other over some kind of bounty (I could really get into that idea, actually). I can't see the new owners deliberately thumbing their nose at George and saying, "This is how Anakin Skywalker really fell to the dark side."

Personally, it sounds like crazy fanboy talk to me. (Still, thanks for posting the article, garp! It's a worthwhile discussion point.)

And while I would love to get the real original films on Blu-ray, I have no desire to waste any more time on Anakin Skywalker. We've got three movies and a six-year TV show. Let's move on to some other, more interesting characters.

From a purely financial standpoint, it makes sense. I could see them releasing them separately over 6 years as anniversary issues, with special 'Original' packaging, complete with contemporary documentaries, commercials, maybe even 'Holiday Special' clips... (OK, maybe not...) But, yeah, would they piss in George's coffee in this way? Hmmmm....

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
yeah, that's what we all see. The point is, posting links without even a half a sentence of info is really annoying.

Here's what I suggest next time...

Bnu3ZS9IgAAIaYj.jpg

I see Carrie is already on set.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This might be the worst thing I've ever seen.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I'm sure that in some alternate universe, like Earth-19 or something, that movie exists and totally kicks ass.

But yeah totally, on Earth-1 that movie would've sucked balls.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
emanswfan said:
Well considering how much I liked Godzilla, I'm on for this!

Whoa! Just...whoa!

Yesterday there were rumors that the working titles of the upcoming spinoff films had been leaked by Hasbro. (The working titles were Boba Fett, Solo and Red Five.) When I read that, I thought, "They may actually not even get any spinoff films off the ground at this rate. Any actual news items have been such small crumbs."

And then -- this!

Thoughts in no particular order:

--I'm in favor of any news about the spinoffs, so this is good.

--I thought the spinoff might get bumped to summer '17, with Ep. VII coming in summer '18. But now it seems like Disney has claimed Christmas permanently for Star Wars.

--I'm always a little bothered by mostly untested directors getting these gigs, though. Seriously, Gareth Edwards has one big-budget film to his name. One. It made money, but it was heavily marketed and based on an iconic property. How is it going to do at the box office on the second weekend? What's the actual word of mouth on the film?

What happened to all the awesome names that were bandied about for the director's chair when Ep. VII was announced: Joe Johnston, Brad Bird, etc.? These filmmakers actually had a proven track record.

Nonetheless, I haven't seen Godzilla and it may in fact be quite good. I'm not saying that Edwards will be bad, only that it seems like jumping the gun with this choice.

--As for Gary Whitta, I really really loved The Book of Eli. People seemed to hate After Earth, though, but that may be due to M. Night Shal's direction. And he also wrote for The Walking Dead video games...Wait. Can this guy write anything that isn't set in a post-apocalyptic future?

--The other article, the one about the spinoffs (sorry, I don't remember where I read it) said that the creative team was having trouble cracking the script for Fett. If they are, it seems strange that they would set a date like this. But maybe that was just a rumor.

--If they are having trouble with the Fett script, I can tell them why. They're probably trying to restore the mystery and coolness factor of this character, but making him the lead means that he'll probably have to have a lot of dialogue. The actor playing Fett will probably also want some screen time with the mask off, which is another idea that works against Fett.

Meanwhile (if the rumors are true), Disney is also developing a Han Solo film (a solo Solo film?). That's two spinoff films likely set pre-Ep. IV with an amoral bounty hunter/smuggler anti-hero. One of those films could be cool; two films sounds kind of boring.

My solution for both problems (which I probably mentioned in the past at some point): Put them together in the same film. Have them both going after the same bounty. Then we can root for Han against Boba. And Boba can remain a somewhat cool, mysterious figure.

Anyway, again, it might be just rumors after all.

Regardless, I'm overall very excited about this news!

Top Bottom