• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Side note:

Don't know if true but:
"Ingruber will play the role of young William in the movie The Age of Adaline. Harrison Ford is playing the old William. The movie is being filmed right now"

If true (IMDB is not listed him right now on this movie), I think that Anthony Ingruber is getting closer and closer to play Han Solo in a stand alone SW.

This is fantastic! As many of you know, I've been a big fan of Ingruber's for quite a while and promoting him on here unofficially whenever I get the opportunity. He's been teasing big news on FB for a while and mentioned growing a beard for a major role, which of course led to speculation that it was something to do with HF, but this is the first I've heard of the film officially. Even if the film itself winds up not being good, I have no doubt that he'll use the opportunity to learn from HF, much as River Phoenix did...I think this can only help his chances of being able to pull off young Solo or youngish Indy, should he get the chance...

ETA: On set as the younger version of HF's character. Not the best photo, since it is a paparazzi shot focusing on Blake Lively, and he is probably not in character as Lively has just cut herself unexpectedly, but even here the resemblance comes through:
article-2610107-1D40FF0D00000578-703_634x656.jpg

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
For those you have read the many, many, many novels, any thoughts or feelings on the Expanded Universe?

I read some, not many. I liked what I read, some more than others.
About not using the EU in the movies: my guess is that some aspects of the EU will be brought to the big screen a way or another. Some characters, some aliens species, some planets, even some subplots maybe. I mean, Disney bought the entire SW franchise, EU included. It would be logical that they use some of what they bought somehow. Just not the way it's in the book.
But I think it's wise to make something new. The movies always come first to me.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To me personally, in my fan-edited SW universe, the Thrawn Trilogy is canon, as is Shadows of the Empire, and all the non-OT rest, PT and Clone Wars series included, is not. :p

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Star Wars Expanded Universe novels that Lucas kept such maniacal creative control over

Actually, quite the opposite is true. Even though he made tons of money from the EU, Lucas ignored it so much that the writers always had to scramble to explain things whenever he introduced a new element. For instance, Jedi characters in the prequel era constantly got married until Lucas suddenly announced in Ep. II that Jedi don't get married. Boba Fett had a rich history as a Mandalorian warrior until Lucas revealed that he was just some dumb clone of his dad. And Lucas contradicted his own approved Clone Wars cartoons by Genndy Tartakovsky when he decided to do the new, infinitely stupider CGI cartoons.

I agree with you that Mara Jade is great, but Lucas hates her with an intense and inexplicable passion. (Maybe he's frustrated because she's so much more popular than any character he created for the prequels.) He vetoed a parody of Mara Jade on Robot Chicken. Even though it was just a parody, he didn't even want that much acknowledgment of her presence.

He says that Luke should have never been allowed to get married. My response to that is: If you didn't want it to happen, why didn't you say something?? You're the boss, Lucas! You could have stepped in, but you just didn't care enough to pay attention to what was going on. And it is not cool to throw brickbats at the authors after the fact.

Whew. Enough ranting. :)

To answer your question: Peter Mayhew has been confirmed as playing Chewbacca in Ep. VII. If the novel Vector Prime were regarded as canon, Chewbacca couldn't be there. And when asked in an interview about it, writer/producer Simon Kinberg said that the movies are the only thing that counts.

And actually, I'm perfectly OK with that. I don't want to watch an adaptation of a Star Wars story that already exists, or to have the filmmakers try to jump through all kinds of continuity hoops. I just want the best story possible, and I want to be surprised. The EU can exist as its own separate entity. I want Ep. VII to go in new and exciting directions.

Last but not least, here's my personal canon: The first three films; the adaptations of those three films for NPR, comic books and novels; the original Droids comic books (!); the Thrawn trilogy; the Dark Empire comic miniseries; the Genndy Clone Wars; Knights of the Old Republic; and The Force Unleashed.

The prequels are just badly written fanfic by someone who isn't even that big of a fan. :)

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
He says that Luke should have never been allowed to get married.

i know. he should totally be allowed to marry his sister.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
i know. he should totally be allowed to marry his sister.

Heh heh. Back in the '90s, I read a sci-fi magazine that did a "Trek vs. Wars" article. One of the points was: "In Star Trek, no one kisses their sister." :D

Meanwhile, here's the announcement from yesterday, direct from StarWars.com itself about the old EU going away to be replaced by a new continuity. Particularly relevant quote: "In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe."

http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html

And here's the announcement about the first new books arriving. Book #1 is, naturally, a tie-in to Rebels. Books # 2 through # 4 are seemingly all set during the Ep. IV era, with the intriguing titles Tarkin, Heir to the Jedi and Lords of the Sith. There's a great look at all the book covers on this page, along with synopses.

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/04/tarkin-heir-to-jedi-and-lords-of-sith.html

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
To me personally, in my fan-edited SW universe, the Thrawn Trilogy is canon, as is Shadows of the Empire, and all the non-OT rest, PT and Clone Wars series included, is not. :p

the Thrawn Trilogy and SotE are definitely wayyy better than any of the PT or continual clone wars nonsense. I go back to those books often.

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I personally loved the Republic Commando series but that got trashed in the continuity wars and was never given a satisfactory conclusion. :-(

Giving the clones personalities was one of the best things that came out of the prequel material, specifically the clone wars cgi series.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I bought all the Zahn books when they came out naively believing them to be the fleshed out storyline for episodes 7-9 Lucas had originally planned. I think I was more disappointed with them than the PT. I will never understand the love for Thrawn. What a boring character. To each his own I suppose. I won't miss any EU stuff in the slightest. I only wish they would jettison the animated stuff as part of the canon as well. I can ignore it. I just hope that the filmmakers don't feel hamstrung by it.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Actually, quite the opposite is true. Even though he made tons of money from the EU, Lucas ignored it so much that the writers always had to scramble to explain things whenever he introduced a new element. For instance, Jedi characters in the prequel era constantly got married until Lucas suddenly announced in Ep. II that Jedi don't get married. Boba Fett had a rich history as a Mandalorian warrior until Lucas revealed that he was just some dumb clone of his dad. And Lucas contradicted his own approved Clone Wars cartoons by Genndy Tartakovsky when he decided to do the new, infinitely stupider CGI cartoons.

Gee, I could have sworn I read a few articles and interviews with SW novels writers about how strict and controlling Lucas was about what could and could not happen? Maybe they meant LucasFilm and not George Lucas directly? Or maybe they meant in terms of book to book continuity, something the Star Trek novels really suffer in, though I think sometimes that is a good thing.
:)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
I bought all the Zahn books when they came out naively believing them to be the fleshed out storyline for episodes 7-9 Lucas had originally planned. I think I was more disappointed with them than the PT.

:fish:

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So was Carrie. Announcement on the 4th?

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Gee, I could have sworn I read a few articles and interviews with SW novels writers about how strict and controlling Lucas was about what could and could not happen?

Well, he did have some very specific rules in place. For instance, pre-2002, authors couldn't expand on or explain what happened during the Clone Wars, since Lucas knew he would probably return to that subject eventually. So when Zahn introduced a character who was a clone in the Thrawn trilogy, he said that the clone was created during the Clone Wars, but he didn't say that it was a primary event of, or purpose in, those wars. It was just a tangential event.

Similarly, when Tom Veitch created the Dark Empire comics, he wanted to bring back Darth Vader, but Lucasfilm had the rule that Vader couldn't be brought back; his story was over. But there was nothing that said that the Emperor couldn't be brought back, so that's what they did.

So, yeah, Lucas had some very specific rules in place, but in both good ways and bad, he didn't oversee it on a day-to-day basis or even know what was going on in it a lot of the time.

On a side note, I actually think Zahn's idea was better (if there are going to be clones, why not clone a whole bunch of Jedi--or Sith--rather than some random street criminal), but that Veitch's idea wouldn't have been as good with Vader. Anakin/Vader was redeemed at the end of RotJ; his story really is over. The rules actually improved Veitch's story.

-------------

On even more of a side note: When people say that they like SotE, are they talking about the video game? Because that might have been good, but I thought the novel was fairly awful and I couldn't even finish the comic. Rather than telling a story in greater complexity using the multiple different formats, it was IMO a paper-thin story stretched beyond the breaking point.

Plus, there was the introduction of Dash Rendar, a fake Han Solo if there ever was one. (If the writers wanted a "rogue" character so badly to fill the Han void, my response is that Lando Calrissian already fills that void.)

Before SotE was released, one of the authors said, "We finally get to write some interesting fiction about Darth Vader." But then they didn't. They created Prince Xizor-Zells-Zea-Shells-by-the-Zea-Shore and made him the main villain instead. Vader got pushed to the background, sulking and jealous of the Emperor's attention to Xizor, as though Vader were Smithers and the Emperor was Mr. Burns.

I do really like the soundtrack by Joel McNeely, though.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember enjoying the SOTE novel as a kid, but I admit I haven't read it since then. Maybe it doesn't hold up, though I do remember enjoying how cranky Lando was in it. And I'm afraid the sexay chapter left quite an impression on my young kid self, perhaps not for the better. :p

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fair enough. Maybe I was just too old and grumpy for it at that point. :)

I will say this: It was nice to have a novel that was an event again. After the Zahn books, all the novels started to blur together. There were too many of them, and there was no way to guarantee that other Star Wars fans had read the same thing. If nothing else, SotE gave Star Wars fans a central point of reference and a focus for our fandom at a time when there wasn't much else goes on. I may not have liked the story, but the concept had a lot going for it.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Max Von Sydow!?!?!?!?!?!?! DUDE!!!! MAX VON SYDOW IN STAR WARS!!!!! This is awesome!!!!
lW9YLko.gif

Top Bottom