• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alas, the other shoe has dropped. Dark Horse announces the end of their Star Wars comics license come 2015

http://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/1552/end-era

It was to be expected sooner rather than later with The Mouse owning both SW and Marvel comics.

Some truly great stories came out of this partnership, I am sad to see it end :-(

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That was inevitable, but man does it feel depressing... :-(

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rumors say (again) that Fett will have his own prequel standalone movie, writen by Kasdan.

To tell the truth, I think that, in the end, I don't care about a Fett movie. Could be a nice TV-Series though. (I don't mind prequels in TV-series format. I'm even waiting for the Rebels Cartoon).
But concerning movies, for now I just want NEW Star Wars things. Not old ones. Don't polute my fan's brain with too much side projecs before Episode 7 is out.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
I don't care about a Fett movie. Could be a nice TV-Series though.

fett would work out superbly in a reality tv format.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't know. The one thing Fett really had going for him was the mystery. Those few moments of screentime are part of why he garnered such a cult following. I'm not sure a movie (and definitely not a TV show) would do the character any justice. It would have to be pretty dark, and kind of un-star-warsy.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
I'm not sure a movie (and definitely not a TV show) would do the character any justice. It would have to be pretty dark, and kind of un-star-warsy.
I agree that a Fett movie could be a fan's trap. Everyone would like it to be dark and brutal etc. and what fans want could be, paradoxically, un-Star Warsy, agree. That's why I think a TV-series could be better than a movie for this character. As a fan I could deal with a Star Wars TV-series that takes liberty with the style of the direction. Plus the status of bounty hunter is better for multiple small stories than a one single movie, IMO.
Ah... who am I kidding, If a Fett's movie is ever made, I'll go see it as everyone!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
oh, I'll go see it too. But I don't think this is what we really want in the end. It's like a giant pile of chocolate bars. SOUNDS AMAZING, until you actually eat them all. ;)

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
fett @ home, wearing grungy tanktop, drinking beer, snarling at daytime tv.
fett in unemployment line. fett arguing with cousin over weaponry.
fett looking for business in liquor store parking lot + altercation with skaters.

could be gripping stuff.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"George Lucas Originally Wanted 2Pac to Play Mace Windu"

[Pac and I] always talked about his film career and stuff. He was telling me that he was suppose to read for [George Lucas]. They wanted him to be a Jedi… Samuel L. got Tupac’s part… He called me ‘Old Man’. He said ‘Old Man keep your fingers crossed, I got three movies coming up. One of them I gotta read for George Lucas.’

lawl.

This comes from the Chief Engineer at Death Row Records, so take with a grain of salt. But seriously, this would have been dope.

Pac_Windu-610x457.jpg

Can someone please do a shoop of Pac's tattoo saying "JEDI LIFE"?

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Can someone please do a shoop of Pac's tattoo saying "JEDI LIFE"?
Here you go:
2vdpi0h.jpg

Took the liberty of changing the bullet to a lightsaber also. Hope you don't mind :p

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rumors-who-is-669997
Specifically:
Arndt is said to have focused on the offspring of Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Han Solo (Harrison Ford) and Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher), with the original trilogy heroes taking on supporting roles. Abrams, however, wanted Episode VII to focus on the classic trio of characters, so audiences could have one more chance to enjoy them before a fitting send-off. The new characters, the offspring, will now be in supporting roles, according to these sources, and take center stage in Episode VIII and IX. Some characters have disappeared from the Arndt script and new ones are being drafted.
Possibly a stupid rumor, but if true, i have this to say:
Seriously?! This is lame. Other than Harrison Ford, what have the other 2 done acting wise the past 2 decades other than voiceovers? Can they really still carry a film as big as this? Get over the OT already! MOVE ON! I wanna see something new. Bring on the fresh blood. They would have been perfectly fine as the Ben Kenobies of Ep7. I don't wanna see some old farts fighting and running around while having the most screen time as well. I have seen their story, i dont wanna see it again. Stop relying on the same old stuff and try something new for a change. It wont matter if you take a risk with unknown actors as people will see the movie no matter what. Over-reliance on the OT was one of the problems with prequels for me. This makes me much less excited now, if true. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease, dont be true....

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
g1orkatsos said:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rumors-who-is-669997

Possibly a stupid rumor, but if true, i have this to say:
Seriously?! This is lame. Other than Harrison Ford, what have the other 2 done acting wise the past 2 decades other than voiceovers? Can they really still carry a film as big as this? Get over the OT already! MOVE ON! I wanna see something new. Bring on the fresh blood. They would have been perfectly fine as the Ben Kenobies of Ep7. I don't wanna see some old farts fighting and running around while having the most screen time as well. I have seen their story, i dont wanna see it again. Stop relying on the same old stuff and try something new for a change. It wont matter if you take a risk with unknown actors as people will see the movie no matter what. Over-reliance on the OT was one of the problems with prequels for me. This makes me much less excited now, if true. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease, dont be true....

Well, as much as I'd like to have something really NEW in the Star Wars universe. I can't say that this rumor makes me sad... Far from it actualy.
To be fair, the casting of the "big 3" (big 4 with Lando!) is not officialy announced yet, but it's well known Mark, Carrie and Harrison were approched so it's already in the mind of every fans that they will be in the movie. Apparently they still are working on Lucas original ideas as a base so they are using Luke, Han, Leia and so they NEED to give them roles that their characters deserve. Not stupid little cameo, or most of the fans will think that's it's a slap in the face.

Could they do a new Star Wars trilogy without those actors at all? Absolutely.
Could a movie without them be better than a movie with them? yes
Could a movie with them be better than a movie without them? Yes, also.

Me I think it's good to start with the old folks to make a real "sequel trilogy". Movies that still have "Episode" in their titles.
Of course they could make a trilogy in the Star Wars universe without any characters we know (or very few) and that could be awesome. But to me, in this case you'd have to drop the "Episode" in the title. It would be a Sidequel/Standalone trilogy or something like that. When you're using "Episode" you have to make the stories connected somehow and I think using Luke, Han and Leia in big roles is good for a start.

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
g1orkatsos said:
Arndt is said to have focused on the offspring of Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Han Solo (Harrison Ford) and Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher)

well, i guess with their technology, that's biologically possible.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
g1orkatsos said:
Seriously?!

This kind of thing has been talked about since the initial announcement in October of 2012. I'm not sure why it's such a shocker now.

g1orkatsos said:
This is lame. Other than Harrison Ford, what have the other 2 done acting wise the past 2 decades other than voiceovers?

Who cares about what else they've done? They've been in THESE movies. :) They've been in three of the most popular films of all time, and those films are connected to this one. Are you worried that people who won't know they are? :p

g1orkatsos said:
Get over the OT already! MOVE ON! I wanna see something new.

Something new like the prequels? New isn't necessarily better.

And these movies are sequels to the OT. Of course they're not "getting over" it. That's not what sequels do. :)

If you want to see something new, then I don't think you really want to see a Star Wars sequel. That's your prerogative, but don't blame the filmmakers for trying to make an actual sequel rather than something that has no relation to the other films at all.

For instance, Halloween III is not considered a masterpiece because Michael Meyers isn't in it. (Of course, the other Halloween sequels aren't considered classics, either. But I think you get my point.)

g1orkatsos said:
Bring on the fresh blood. I don't wanna see some old farts fighting and running around while having the most screen time as well.

Yeah! Get rid of all the old people! Old people are worthless just because of their age! How dare they get old, anyway? Young people are inherently better just because they're young! Let's just get rid of all the old people on the planet so they can stop being so old and worthless! </sarcasm>

I kid, I kid. I know you're not saying that. But I really don't think the actors' age in and of itself makes a difference. I just want to see my old childhood friends back, in a manner of speaking, and doing new things.

g1orkatsos said:
I have seen their story, i dont wanna see it again.

This isn't a remake. It's a sequel. :D Sequels use actors from the previous films. At least, good ones usually do.

g1orkatsos said:
Stop relying on the same old stuff and try something new for a change.

Sequels are not about trying something new. The whole point of sequels is to relive a previous great cinematic experience. Many of them are bad because that kind of thing is so difficult to recapture. But the ones that work still carry on from the previous films.

Empire Strikes Back has new characters like Lando Calrissian and Boba Fett, but it doesn't tell a brand new story about these characters and ignore the characters from the 1977 film.

g1orkatsos said:
It wont matter if you take a risk with unknown actors as people will see the movie no matter what.

That's the same mentality that made the prequels so bad: "It doesn't matter what crap we put on the screen; people will pay lots of money for it anyway!" How can you suggest that would make any film better? LOL! :p

g1orkatsos said:
Over-reliance on the OT was one of the problems with prequels for me.

I think that it was the complete lack of regard for the OT -- an outright contempt for it, in fact -- that made the prequels so bad.

g1orkatsos said:
This makes me much less excited now, if true. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease, dont be true....

You're entitled to that opinion, but I think most people (including myself) want to see a sequel featuring the principal actors from the new films, with new characters brought in gradually (as in the Empire example mentioned above). I would have little to no interest in a film that starred Justin Bieber and Katy Perry as hot new young Jedi knights, and limited the original characters to just a passing cameo at most.

(Obviously, you didn't actually say Justin Beiber or Katy Perry. My point is that new or different isn't automatically better.)

Did Toy Story 3 focus on a bunch of new toys, relegating Buzz and Woody to just cameos? Did it matter that Don Rickles hasn't been in any other major movies lately? Would the sequel have been better if it had taken place in some house other than Andy's in a new story that was completely unconnected to the other ones? If Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen had played the lead toys in TS3, would the movie have been better just because they're young and relatively new to the industry, and they've been in movies more recently than Wallace Shawn?

Because honestly, that isn't a sequel that I would ever want to see. Just the thought of it makes me break out in cold shivers.

Of course, I've comically exaggerated some of what you said just to make a point (and to hopefully be funny). And I hope that I haven't come off too harsh. But I hope you get the gist of what I'm saying.

And TS3 has new characters like Bonnie (the human girl) and Mr. Pricklepants. Those characters were introduced to us slowly, and now they had even more of a part in the recent Halloween special Toy Story of Terror, which had even more new characters. The Toy Story universe expands and grows naturally. The filmmakers don't just give us all new characters and forget or minimize the old ones.

Naturally, you're welcome to have a different opinion than mine. This is a public forum, after all. But I hope I've made it clear why I have no interest in seeing the type of film that you were describing.

And to be fair, having the old actors back won't itself make the film good. Having Harrison Ford and Karen Allen back in Indy IV didn't save the film. But, IMO, that wasn't what hurt it, either. Having new actors in the SW prequels didn't help. The bottom line is that it needs to be a good story, well told, with good acting, good dialogue and good directing/editing. If it doesn't have those things, then it won't matter who is -- or isn't -- in the film.

:)

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In my original post probably a few points came out wrong so let me elaborate a bit and explain better.
TomH1138 said:
Who cares about what else they've done? They've been in THESE movies. :) They've been in three of the most popular films of all time, and those films are connected to this one. Are you worried that people who won't know they are? :p
To be honest i am worried that they don't have it anymore in them to lead a movie as they did 30 years later.

TomH1138 said:
If you want to see something new, then I don't think you really want to see a Star Wars sequel. That's your prerogative, but don't blame the filmmakers for trying to make an actual sequel rather than something that has no relation to the other films at all.
Since the OT came out, most of the mainstream products like movies, games, tv series, etc, have been centered around it. After 3 decades i believe that the star wars universe is much bigger and has grown past that confined period of time. Yes i knew i was getting a sequel, and i didn't mind that, but i didnt want it be over relied on the old and instead move forward and make a new start with Disney

TomH1138 said:
I kid, I kid. I know you're not saying that. But I really don't think the actors' age in and of itself makes a difference. I just want to see my old childhood friends back, in a manner of speaking, and doing new things.
Ok that old people comment came out wrong and i apologize for this. i was referring sort of to indy 4. Looking at old Indy doing all the crazy action never felt natural to me. It gave me that very tired, i-want-to-go-to-the-old-house, forced feeling. There are some things that dont feel as natural, or possible when you get older. Action movies specifically. I never said that i didnt want to see them back. as Mentor-type characters they would have been great! but as the main? IMO you might hold some elements of the movie back that way.

TomH1138 said:
This isn't a remake. It's a sequel. :D Sequels use actors from the previous films. At least, good ones usually do.
See above. I don't mind that they returned, nit at all. it is the extend of the role they will have that bothers me.

TomH1138 said:
Sequels are not about trying something new. The whole point of sequels is to relive a previous great cinematic experience. Many of them are bad because that kind of thing is so difficult to recapture. But the ones that work still carry on from the previous films.
Empire Strikes Back has new characters like Lando Calrissian and Boba Fett, but it doesn't tell a brand new story about these characters and ignore the characters from the 1977 film.
True, though that was the second part of a trilogy, and not the start of a new trilogy. there is more freedom when you are done with the story. You are not bound to a still unfinished journey or storyline and you can move to brand new directions. You still should keep a connection to the originals, but you shouldnt let that hold down the new vision. Maybe it just me that doesnt want to see it as the 4th part of a story and instead would have much preferred to see it as the 1st part of a second story.

TomH1138 said:
That's the same mentality that made the prequels so bad: "It doesn't matter what crap we put on the screen; people will pay lots of money for it anyway!" How can you suggest that would make any film better? LOL! :p
That again came out stupid as well. What i meant is that the financial security would allow for more creative risks to be taken in a perfect world of course

TomH1138 said:
You're entitled to that opinion, but I think most people (including myself) want to see a sequel featuring the principal actors from the new films, with new characters brought in gradually (as in the Empire example mentioned above).
Fair enough.

I apologize for my original post. i came out as a whiny bitch (though to be fair i might be :p) and i should have given it more thought before i wrote it. I guess probably the main reason i dont like this news (and sorry if i am repeating myself here) is that really, i am kinda sick of the OT at this point. prequels, video games, animated shows... everything centered around it. i wanna see this universe explored. Star Wars is strong enough to work without being reliant to the OT so much.
Don't get me wrong. i might be whining here about this stuff, but no matter what i am gonna be there to see this movie no matter what. So either way me complaining doesnt even serve myself in any meaningful way. :p Plus the trailers may blow my mind away. Hopefully!

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
No, that's OK. I understand your points much better now. I came off a little cranky, too. Sorry. :)

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually, i have to go with g1 on this one. I would much rather see something fresh set within the SW universe. Kinda in the way that Star trek has complete different storylines set up in a shared universe.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Well, as much as I'd like to have something really NEW in the Star Wars universe. I can't say that this rumor makes me sad... Far from it actualy.
To be fair, the casting of the "big 3" (big 4 with Lando!) is not officialy announced yet, but it's well known Mark, Carrie and Harrison were approched so it's already in the mind of every fans that they will be in the movie. Apparently they still are working on Lucas original ideas as a base so they are using Luke, Han, Leia and so they NEED to give them roles that their characters deserve. Not stupid little cameo, or most of the fans will think that's it's a slap in the face.

Could they do a new Star Wars trilogy without those actors at all? Absolutely.
Could a movie without them be better than a movie with them? yes
Could a movie with them be better than a movie without them? Yes, also.

Me I think it's good to start with the old folks to make a real "sequel trilogy". Movies that still have "Episode" in their titles.
Of course they could make a trilogy in the Star Wars universe without any characters we know (or very few) and that could be awesome. But to me, in this case you'd have to drop the "Episode" in the title. It would be a Sidequel/Standalone trilogy or something like that. When you're using "Episode" you have to make the stories connected somehow and I think using Luke, Han and Leia in big roles is good for a start.

Exactly everything said here :)

Top Bottom