• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
I don't think any effort could fully redeem the awful formulation of the Clone Wars as good clones vs. bad droids. Good clones vs. bad clones, maybe, but I'd rather it be multispecies vs. bad clones, and good clones only is just astounding fail. That said, I've seen a few eps of the show here and there, and though they always felt kinda lifeless - and pretty drab-looking - I might give the show a real try someday.

One of the few solid episodes of the series, IMO, is "The Hidden Enemy," which deals with a clone gone rouge. It's one of the few episodes to call into question the ethics of what the Jedi are doing.

Indeed, part of why the series makes no sense to me is that Lucas deliberately created a story where the Clone Wars are being manipulated on both sides by the same person. There are no good guys and bad guys, really. And then he wants us to watch a weekly series where the Jedi and clones are (usually) portrayed as unambiguous good guys? Did Lucas even see the prequels himself?

What's more, he made this TV series after the films were done, so there's absolutely no suspense about who lives and who dies. Their fates are already locked in by their appearance, or lack thereof, in Ep. III. Lucas decided to tell this story after the entire reason for it ceased to exist.

If I had been in charge of the movies, I would have ended Ep. I with the start of the Clone Wars, make the second movie all about the Wars, and then have the third movie wrap things up. As it is, it begins at the end of Ep. II, and then ends at the beginning of Ep. III, so we don't get to see the battles we've been waiting to see for years. Oh, and by the way, here's an animated series about that after the fact. Huh?

Enough ranting for now, I suppose. :)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That Belated Media video is great! I really liked the first one, too. I can't wait to see how he finishes it!

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just make a good movie with a good story and characters. Don't really care that much about this to be honest. This is not that important. What's more important is what you put on the film. If the movie sucks the whole digital or film thing will be meaningless.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
True, g1. But I think using 35 mm is at least a step in the right direction.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Indeed, part of why the series makes no sense to me is that Lucas deliberately created a story where the Clone Wars are being manipulated on both sides by the same person. There are no good guys and bad guys, really. And then he wants us to watch a weekly series where the Jedi and clones are (usually) portrayed as unambiguous good guys? Did Lucas even see the prequels himself?
That's another sticking point, aye. I don't much like the "Palps is ran the entire Clone Wars" angle, but I'm an adult; I can live with it and understand it. But I used to work in schools, and saw kids with CW Anakin and Obi-Wan backpacks and stuff... and I have no idea if they did "get" it, if they had any grasp that their cool, mouthy hero would become a child- and planet-murderer. Either way, seeing all those toys and merchandise glorifying Anakin and the Wars generally was kinda creepy, no question. Maybe I'd find it less objectionable now that it's all more or less behind us. I dunno.

TomH1138 said:
True, g1. But I think using 35 mm is at least a step in the right direction.
Was Skyfall shooting on digital a step in the wrong direction? ;-)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Um, not sure what you mean on the last point. :) The James Bond movies are not known for being ugly, tacky CGI cartoons with terrible stories and characters the way that Star Wars is. (Well, 2 out of the 3 recent Bond movies aren't known for being weak, anyway. And the problems with Quantum of Solace, as far as I know, have nothing to do with a plastic CGI look to it. Jar Jar isn't in that film, is he?) :p

So while Bond has actually moved forward visually from its predecessors, Star Wars needs to reclaim a certain look and feel--among other things. :)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Just agreeing with g1 that the movie's success or failure will be almost entirely dependent on the script and other artistic factors, not whether the photography will be film with heavy digital polishes vs digital with heavy digital polishes. ;-)

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I for once am really happy that Mindel is the DP for the new movie. Abrams and Mindel have this amazing visual style in their Trek movies and I love the sweeping movements. hopefully star wars will boast the same energy as the Abrams Trek

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
dangermouse said:
with lens flare. :)

well some things should remain trek :D

although i would love to see harrison ford or darth vader running JJ-Style through corrdidors while shoutytalky happens

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sunarep said:
although i would love to see harrison ford or darth vader running JJ-Style through corrdidors while shoutytalky happens

Hey, I would greatly prefer that to the behavior of the characters in the prequels, who all behaved as if they were in a coma.

Mace Windu: "What's that, Anakin? The most powerful man in the galaxy is also a SITH LORD?? ... Let me continue to walk calmly and quietly to my ship."

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Joss Whedon:
"Empire (Strikes Back) committed the cardinal sin of not actually ending. Which at the time I was appalled by and I still think it was a terrible idea. Well, it's not an ending. It's a Come Back Next Week, or in three years. And that upsets me. I go to movies expecting to have a whole experience. If I want a movie that doesn't end I'll go to a French movie. That's a betrayal of trust to me. A movie has to be complete within itself, it can't just build off the first one or play variations."

The point of Star Wars was to look like a serial à la Flash Gordon. So no wonder that, when the success was there, Lucas thought about making a cliffhanger ending (oh, and Vader also escaped at the end of the first movie). It was pretty accurate concidering the goal of the project. But the ending of Empire Strikes Back IS pretty satisfiyng too. Good guys are trapped by bad guys and escape (they loose one of them, all right. But like in plenty of movies). Big twist chock the audience and opens the door for interesting things in a next movie. What more Joss Whedon could possibly want? Han Solo blinking an eye inside the carbonite as a last shot? Post credit style? :Yellow_Flash_Colorz

Oh, and reducing french cinema to "movies that does not end" is pretty dumb.

I guess Joss should indeed continue to make billions and shut up.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
The point of Star Wars was to look like a serial à la Flash Gordon. So no wonder that, when the success was there, Lucas thought about making a cliffhanger ending (oh, and Vader also escaped at the end of the first movie). It was pretty accurate concidering the goal of the project. But the ending of Empire Strikes Back IS pretty satisfiyng too. Good guys are trapped by bad guys and escape (they loose one of them, all right. But like in plenty of movies). Big twist chock the audience and opens the door for interesting things in a next movie. What more Joss Whedon could possibly want? Han Solo blinking an eye inside the carbonite as a last shot? Post credit style? :Yellow_Flash_Colorz

Oh, and reducing french cinema to "movies that does not end" is pretty dumb.

I guess Joss should indeed continue to do make billions and shut up.

I find it interesting that this comes from the same guy who has a random guy smile into the camera at the end of his movie

TMBTM EDIT: just edited your post by removing "Joss Whedon" at the begining. It looked like what I said was a quote from him ;)

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whedon saying this hopefully will finally open some people's eyes and realize that he's not a god of genius story telling like many make him out to be. His whole reasoning and logic is completely wrong here, and the fact that he did the same damn thing in his own movie just completely contradicts any credibility the argument had. I have enjoyed some of his works, but he's incredibly overrated by fans who think he's a genius who only they understand. A statement like this just comes off so stupid and proves he is far from infallible, not only for the completely wrong Empire idea, but lumping all of French cinema under the guise of unending nothingness.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If he is doing it, I hope he's a goodie. His portrayal of Sherlock Holmes is excellent and after playing Khan in Star Trek I don't think seeing him play another Sci Fi villain would show much imagination on the film makers part.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
The point of Star Wars was to look like a serial à la Flash Gordon. So no wonder that, when the success was there, Lucas thought about making a cliffhanger ending (oh, and Vader also escaped at the end of the first movie). It was pretty accurate considering the goal of the project. But the ending of Empire Strikes Back IS pretty satisfiyng too. Good guys are trapped by bad guys and escape.

YES! Thank you!

Also, many episodes of Buffy and Angel, as well as season cliffhangers and the SERIES FINALE of Angel all ended on cliffhangers. "See you next week, or in 3 months, or never, I guess."

I still think that the guy is the most brilliant writer in Hollywood, but this statement from him absolutely baffled me in its ridiculousness. Just goes to show that even smart folks have their blind spots.

Top Bottom