• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hopping back to an earlier conversation thread...

ghouldetail said:
I'm guessing it's one last chance to get some more cash out of the existing SW movies before the rights go to Disney

Earlier, I noted that Fox had the rights until 2020. But I just finished listening to the Force-Cast podcast, and one of the hosts noted that Disney probably wants to close up that legal loophole sooner rather than later, so Fox is taking advantage of their last chance to release these films. (This move isn't without precedent. Paramount has already released an Avengers box set, then a few weeks ago, Disney acquired the rights to all future distribution of releases of those movies from Paramount. The only exception is The Incredible Hulk, which the Mouse hasn't been able to wrangle away from Universal.)

So it looks like you were right in the first place, ghouldetail! :)

ghouldetail

Reaction score
Trophy Points
they've just lost their grip on the world's biggest cash cow, I guess it's only natural to get one last suck on the money teat before it's gone for good. I was thinking that's what I'd do.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
Or don't watch it. You don't have to, I swear.

^ THIS. shit is terrible. plenty of other stuff that is more worth your time.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wowza... lots of hate for Clone Wars here... I think one shouldn't forget that it is a childrens/family show and in that area it suceeds. it gives good characters and compelling story. the droid jokes from time to time can get really tedious but at the core there's a good heart beating and makes clonewars just a pretty good entertainment - much more than the prequels ever were

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't buy that excuse one bit. There are plenty of good family/childrens shows. Clone Wars is not one of them.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was going to start watching but I got distracted by Pocoyo.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
it's not really an excuse. But i think one needs to differentiate between star wars in the movies and star wars on the tv and there are storyarcs in clonewars that really blow most star wars stories out of the water

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I was going to start watching but I got distracted by Pocoyo.

My kids love Pocoyo! (I have to admit... it's actually quite fun.)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^I agree, actually, it's reasonably entertaining.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Clone Wars is far from perfect (mostly it seems the show is very inconsistent in quality, being extremely good in one arc and terrible in another), but certainly overall it is far better than the PT. I think it is very possible to chronologically reorder and edit the series, (maybe combine episodes, and make the series divided by sets of full story arcs) removing all the PT-like crapiness and childish feel. With a movie and 5 seasons worth of material (and possibly most of Season 6 yet to be released), you won't have to worry about having too short of a series worthy of the OT. In fact, it could replace the PT altogether. Which is why have had in the back of my mind not doing my PT edits (though not sure if I'd be willing to give it up just yet), and just doing a complete Clone Wars revamp.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The problem here is that to call this good or bad people are comparing it to the PT. "Overall it is far better than the PT" (sorry, didn't mean to pick on you there emanswfan) does not equate to "this is good." The prequel trilogy is just a mess and should not be used as a baseline argument for enjoying anything with the Star Wars name on it.

I'm hopeful that Disney can do something decent with the Star Wars universe now that it's mostly pried from George Lucas' hands. I'm not going to hold my breath though.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
The problem here is that to call this good or bad people are comparing it to the PT. "Overall it is far better than the PT" (sorry, didn't mean to pick on you there emanswfan) does not equate to "this is good." The prequel trilogy is just a mess and should not be used as a baseline argument for enjoying anything with the Star Wars name on it.
No offense taken, I do believe though in editing the series down correctly it is possible to get something close to the PT we all imagined before the PT movies ever existed, something worthy of what Star Wars used to be in ANH and ESB.

I can go on to say the series is good, as it actually fulfills lots that the PT doesn't fulfill and yet keeps so many things still secret. For example, we see Anakin's motive and slow turn to the dark side, but not his direct transformation into Vader. (Though, in one arc involving the explanation of how the force truly works, Anakin is shown the future which shows Vader, probably would cut that out.) Plus, we actually see "the clone wars" (line from ANH), which is what everyone wanted to see but never really got to see. It even shows Anakin to be "a cunning warrior and the best starpilot in the galaxy." (Not exactly perfect Anakin, but can be fixed though Luke wasn't perfect either so maybe there needs to be a little bit of character development involving Anakin added in.) I could go on much longer on how The Clone Wars is almost the PT we could've had. And again, fanedited properly I think the series could easily become the PT we wanted. Well, I hope to finish my other edits slowly but ASAP just so I can get to this.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm from the camp that watched the Clone Wars, but probably couldn't tell you much about what I just watched the next day. The one reason I kept watching though was it just had that fun adventure feel a lot of the times that the prequels never was able to capture for me except for a few instances in Phantom Menace. That being said, I doubt I'd watch the show ever again, but I'd recommend for fans to watch an episode or two, but I think the prospect of watching the entire series to be daunting at this point.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Someone linked this video at originaltrilogy.com and I think it's great, so here it is:

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
While he hits hit right on what is wrong with the film, I honestly think his ideas are better, his plot is just as boring. And it sort of gives me that weird TV show vibe, like an average episode of the Clone Wars.

Anyhow, entertaining nonetheless.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It maybe lacks a bit of scale but it's also because it is told in 15 minutes. I'm sure that within a 2 hour lenght someone could give more epicness to his story. Characters are so much better here, even if maybe a bit cliché. It's what the PT needed, IMO.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
emanswfan said:
I could go on much longer on how The Clone Wars is almost the PT we could've had. And again, fanedited properly I think the series could easily become the PT we wanted.
I don't think any effort could fully redeem the awful formulation of the Clone Wars as good clones vs. bad droids. Good clones vs. bad clones, maybe, but I'd rather it be multispecies vs. bad clones, and good clones only is just astounding fail. That said, I've seen a few eps of the show here and there, and though they always felt kinda lifeless - and pretty drab-looking - I might give the show a real try someday.

Sunarep said:
I think one shouldn't forget that it is a childrens/family show and in that area it suceeds.
From what I've seen and read, it's one of the most violent shows around - not in graphic gore, of course, but definitely in constant depictions of warfare. Some of the stuff I've seen has felt more like Band of Brothers than A New Hope. I feel sorry for kids who watched this instead of something delightful and good-hearted as, say, ReBoot.

emanswfan

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
I don't think any effort could fully redeem the awful formulation of the Clone Wars as good clones vs. bad droids. Good clones vs. bad clones, maybe, but I'd rather it be multispecies vs. bad clones, and good clones only is just astounding fail. That said, I've seen a few eps of the show here and there, and though they always felt kinda lifeless - and pretty drab-looking - I might give the show a real try someday.
In a sense, it isn't too great right now. I just have this feeling that some really good series or set of SW films are deeply embeded in there somewhere amongst all that series fails to deliver or reach.

Top Bottom