• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

SW - Star Wars

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
g1orkatsos said:
First of, you cant really compare a TV show with Movies. They are 2 different things.
And Because it works for Marvel, that doesn't mean it can work for star wars too.
The Marvel movies had a purpose and a reason behind them. they were introductions for very different from each other super heroes, and they they were building towards a grand team up and one epic movie.
For Star Wars the approach doesn't really fit for me. I am sure the spin off movies will be about more known, established characters, and not about the new episode 7 characters. It wouldn't make sense money wise. So you will have Episode 7, then an unrelated young Han solo spin off or whatever, then episode 8, then a boba fett spin off, then episode 9..... One every year. It feels overkill too me. Its too much star wars. I much Prefer the George Lucas way. A movie every 3 years, building excitement, anticipation, and not making the people tired of them.
I am not saying that all those movies will be bad or anything, but it was a risk from marvel to go with such an approach and it was building towards something bigger. I just cant see those spin offs and the "one movie every year" building towards something bigger, and not being anything more than just quick cash ins.

well we'll have a star trek movie every 3 years :D

trek is the new wars!

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
At least one movie a year is working just fine for the MCU, and that's in tandem with other Marvel movies...

But Iron Man is a very different character than Thor, and using the side movies to help us know the backgrounds of those characters until they team up -- that, to me, is a very good strategy.

What Disney is doing with Star Wars is more like if they released a new Pirates of the Caribbean movie every single year for the rest of our lives. That, to me, is overkill.

Gaith said:
... So, I don't see the problem. Besides, in terms of minutes of product, one movie a year is far less Star Wars than a Clone Wars season.

And, in my opinion, Clone Wars was mostly lame and unnecessary, just like a lot of these movies would be.

Hey, Disney. We've had 3 great Star Wars movies and 3 terrible ones. How about trying to get one new good Star Wars film out the door before promising 800 more?

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
Hey, Disney. We've had 3 great Star Wars movies and 3 terrible ones. How about trying to get one new good Star Wars film out the door before promising 800 more?

Hear hear.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interesting! Some parts look a little like a black-and-white version of Stryker's Run or Codename: Droid.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:

They're promising six, but its even possible that is not going to happen. Why don't you wait and judge the movies to see if it was a worthy venture. Trek fans have hundreds and hundreds of hours to enjoy of their universe, Star Wars significantly less than that. As a lifelong fan who was incredibly disappointed with the prequels, I won't mind a new film every year for a few years. Its unlikely they'll maintain the schedule they propose but if they can produce at least three more quality movie over the next decade, who does it hurt if there's a few more bad ones?

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hymie said:
They're promising six, but its even possible that is not going to happen.

Where did you read that there would be only six? I read a bunch of articles about this, and everyone said that Disney was just going to keep making Star Wars films indefinitely. But it is possible that I missed one that reported something different.

The spinoff films are not the big news here. Those were announced back in January or something. The big news this week was Allan Horn's announcement of a new Star Wars film every summer. And it was taken to mean every summer from now until forever.

Hymie said:
Why don't you wait and judge the movies to see if it was a worthy venture.

Of course I'll keep an open mind when the films show up, but I see nothing wrong with expressing reservations about an idea that has never worked in the past (that is, oversaturating the market with a franchise).

Hymie said:
Its unlikely they'll maintain the schedule they propose but if they can produce at least three more quality movie over the next decade, who does it hurt if there's a few more bad ones?

The franchise could very much be damaged if there are too many bad films. For instance, Disney used to put out a new animated film once every 3 or 4 years. It was an event when a new one came out. Then they ramped up the production to one new film a year. For a while, the quality stayed, but eventually it dropped off and audiences got sick of them.

The traditionally-animated feature department at Disney just shut its doors forever the same week this announcement was made, so I think it's very relevant and timely to question whether it's a good idea to use the exact same strategy with Star Wars.

Another example is the way Disney (again) overused Winnie the Pooh. There were cheaply made movies about Piglet and Tiggler and the Heffalumps, and there was merchandise everywhere, and there were several Pooh-related attractions at each park at the same time, and on and on and on. And audiences eventually started to see that the product had deteriorated.

Finally, in 2011, the feature animation department made a last-ditch effort to save the Pooh brand. They created a new, lovingly made movie that was finally once again based on the original stories by A.A. Milne. But by that time that the film (simply called Winnie the Pooh) was released, Disney itself had tired of the brand and released it to very little marketing. The film sank without a trace, killing both the Pooh brand and (essentially) the feature animation department at the same time.

So when you ask me -- what's the harm? -- that's my reply. I can very much see Disney running this franchise into the ground the way that they've run other things into the ground and then discarded them like used toilet paper.

Of course, if it's only six films, that's not such a big deal. It's the possibility of Disney pumping out endless product like a sausage factory that has me saying: I have a bad feeling about this.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I simply said six films because they've announced three new "episodes" and I'm assuming an equal number of spinoff films. Saying something and doing something is completely different, and the team at Disney now seem fully aware of the damage all those Direct-to-video movies did as they've decreased dramatically.

Yes, Pooh failed, but it didn't exactly come out at a great time and with such a short running time, you can't blame parents for waiting for DVD. I completely understand that over-saturation can/will become a problem, but we are at a point where Star Wars has been around for over 35 years, and there's very little of it relatively to enjoy. As a fan, I simply want to wash the taste out of my mouth from the prequels, and hopefully Disney can deliver. Am I interested in any of the spinoff films? Not at all, but if it offers some entertainment I'll watch 'em eventually.

I also think oversaturation is not as big of a problem, as you can already get anything you want with Star Wars on it (Han Solo ice cube trays?). At this point, I just want more films and until the first comes out, which I still doubt will be in 2015, I will remain positive.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
WUT

PLWLhLq.jpg

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't get what you're wutting about.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ The pose of the legs... just looks freaky and painful. And the photo's angle makes 'em look way too long. :oops:

41c81ff695d715efddf732b550745e82.jpg

778bb305cba14490701f67069c6f6ec6.jpg

8b97774dac2957a9b766beb351749608.jpg

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow, it seems like hardly a week passes without big Star Wars news!

When The Clone Wars was canceled, I thought for sure that the vague talks of another animated series weren't going anywhere. But I'm happy to have been proven wrong!

"The action-filled series is set between the events of Episode III and IV -- an era spanning almost two decades never-before explored on-screen. Star Wars Rebels takes place in a time where the Empire is securing its grip on the galaxy and hunting down the last of the Jedi Knights as a fledgling rebellion against the Empire is taking shape. Details about the show are a closely guarded secret at this point."

Since this is the same era when the proposed live-action series was supposed to be set, I wonder if many of the scripts will be re-purposed for this.

(I wouldn't want it to be exactly the same, as Lucas insisted that there would never be any Jedi in that series, as well as no Darth Vader or Emperor. While they don't need to be main characters, I think they should be able to make appearances every now and then.)

At any rate, consider me intrigued. I look forward to learning more about this project.

http://starwars.com/news/new-animated-series-star-wars-rebels-coming-fall-2014.html

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TomH1138 said:
as Lucas insisted that there would never be any Jedi in that series, as well as no Darth Vader or Emperor.

Thank god Lucas isn't in charge anymore. No Jedi seems like a good move, but why no Emperor or Vader? Silliness. That is where the best dramatic tension would probably come from! The idea of a bunch of regular dudes having to compete against Vader and the Emperor is terrifying! If this were a live action show, I would shit myself the first time Vader suddenly appears and starts going wood chopper style on their rebel asses. Retreat!!!

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In terms of Jedi, I was thinking an occasional guest-star appearance by Obi-Wan or Yoda.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice. Looking forward to this (specialy if they are using Ralph McQuarrie as a base for the design, like they are saying.) I'd like to keep the design of the Clone Wars show for the characters though, I get used to it very well.

Now...how the fuck all those clones will all die? An order 69 (!) of mass suicide?
Because as Lucas did not replace all the troopers voices in the OT by Temura Morrison's one in the OT (thank god), then the stormtroopers are still good old empire's recrutes (I think a story that is canon (?) even says that Han Solo was one of them at one point in his life).

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good question about the clones. I was really expecting an answer about that by Ep. III, and we didn't get one. Fans have argued about that one for years. Maybe this show could fill in the gaps.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, they have advanced aging so perhaps eventually the body breaks down due to the genetic tinkering. An easy way to handle it and probably something a little arc on the show could cover about the Clones becoming more and more inefficient over time as their bodies start to degrade.

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hymie said:
Well, they have advanced aging so perhaps eventually the body breaks down due to the genetic tinkering. An easy way to handle it and probably something a little arc on the show could cover about the Clones becoming more and more inefficient over time as their bodies start to degrade.

Of the few SW books I have read were the Republic Commando series and I seem to recall that the clones having a very short life span. That was one of the issues that the titular (He said 'titular' hur hur) characters were trying to solve.

Top Bottom