If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

SW - Star Wars
(09-29-2019, 06:52 PM)Masirimso17 Wrote:
(09-29-2019, 06:39 PM)wilhelm scream Wrote:
(09-29-2019, 06:37 PM)addiesin Wrote:
(09-29-2019, 05:46 PM)wilhelm scream Wrote: Any sympathy I had for Disney Star Wars is gone now. They discredited the original creator's ideas and instead decided to just remake the original trilogy and rip-off the expanded universe.

Ok, see you in the theater for the next one.
Well I'm done with Disney Star Wars after TROS and then I'm retreating into the lovely open arms of Star Wars Legends completely.

Suuure. You definitely won't watch The Mandalorian or KenobiBig Grin

I'm just teasing, I have no issue with you disliking Disney Star Wars content. It's just that I personally find it extremely silly to hate the company for their content and behavior surrounding that content, or boycotting their future contents. Every company in Hollywood acts like this. The man runs a buzznizz. You can hate the company for monopolizing the entire moviemaking landscape though, I have no issue with that.

If I hated Disney, then I wouldn't be watching the MCU and loving it! (At least the movie-side).
Okay so let me see if I have today’s Star Wars outrage right. Fans are upset at Disney for not making a sequel trilogy about midichlorians, one of the most hated aspects of the prequel trilogy. Instead they made TFA, which fans mostly liked when released. Also, one of the more frequent targets of fanboy venom, Kathleen Kennedy, was hand picked and basically forced upon Disney by George Lucas. Finally, we have evidence of a few of GL’s ideas being used: young female protagonist and an exiled, disillusioned Luke, ideas most fans hate. Yet, it’s the crime of the century that Disney didn’t use George Lucas’s ideas verbatim. I haven’t particularly liked either ST movie (R1 is by far my favorite of the newer movies and much better than any PT movie), but come on, from what we know of Lucas’s ideas I’m very glad Disney didn’t give him creative control.
[+] 3 users Like Moe_Syzlak's post
(09-30-2019, 02:45 AM)Moe_Syzlak Wrote: Okay so let me see if I have today’s Star Wars outrage right. Fans are upset at Disney for not making a sequel trilogy about midichlorians, one of the most hated aspects of the prequel trilogy. Instead they made TFA, which fans mostly liked when released. Also, one of the more frequent targets of fanboy venom, Kathleen Kennedy, was hand picked and basically forced upon Disney by George Lucas. Finally, we have evidence of a few of GL’s ideas being used: young female protagonist and an exiled, disillusioned Luke, ideas most fans hate. Yet, it’s the crime of the century that Disney didn’t use George Lucas’s ideas verbatim. I haven’t particularly liked either ST movie (R1 is by far my favorite of the newer movies and much better than any PT movie), but come on, from what we know of Lucas’s ideas I’m very glad Disney didn’t give him creative control.

No, fans are upset because the sequel trilogy so far have been nothing but remakes of the original trilogy (and the spin-offs are hardly any good either) and the ideas they used from George, have been used VERY, VERY, poorly.
[+] 3 users Like Moe_Syzlak's post
(09-30-2019, 03:36 AM)Moe_Syzlak Wrote:

I don't get it.
(09-30-2019, 05:20 AM)wilhelm scream Wrote:
(09-30-2019, 03:36 AM)Moe_Syzlak Wrote:

I don't get it.

It’s not directed at you, but rather the fan base as a whole (or at least the ones complaining about the Disney/Lucas deal as outlined by Iger). I’m not defending the sequel trilogy movies. I haven’t particularly liked them. But people are complaining themselves in circles. For decades people screamed things like “George Lucas ruined my childhood.” There are even movies like The People Vs. George Lucas. Now, people are upset because Disney didn’t give Lucas creative control. Further, the small amount of details we have suggests Lucas’s ideas would’ve been things the fans would’ve hated (i.e. midichlorians, etc.) Further further, the movie most fans liked more was the one Lucas liked least in that it was a rehash. I don’t disagree with that, but fans mostly loved TFA when it came out. The movie that much more closely follows Lucas’s idea, TLJ, fans mostly hated. So what, do they want a trilogy more like TLJ only with midichlorians!? Or are they just upset that George got his feelings hurt? Because if so, I’m guessing many of those same people were pretty vocal detractors of Lucas in the PT days. I’m sure Lucas will be just fine with his billions of dollars. So, in closing, “I’m sick of you people. You’re nothing but a pack of fickle mush heads.”
[+] 1 user Likes Moe_Syzlak's post
Did George need to sell SW? No. Was he pressured into selling SW? No. Was anybody expecting him to sell off SW? No. I'm sure it was an emotional time handing over the reins but it was his choice, his idea and nobody's fault but his.

Also this part I noticed...

Quote:Among the last things we negotiated before the deal closed was a non-disparagement clause.

...which George almost immediately violated and as far as I know, Disney have not.
[+] 1 user Likes TM2YC's post
I feel like already knew most of this. It's also worth noting that George has plenty of involvement with episode 9 supposedly.
I'm a rare fan of the prequels, and I'm sure I'd enjoy George's sequel trilogy, but in the end I don't care much.

For what it's worth, Solo is my favorite product of Disney Star Wars thus far.
Mega Man is best game. 
I just think the amount of vitriol that comes from current-gen haters is counterproductive and silly. They will not go away though so in the very near future I think the inevitable direction this will take, from the perspective of Disney, is as follows.
(A movie is made)
"You don't like it because it's too much of the same? Ok, we'll make more, and they will be different."
(Another movie is made)
"You don't like the specific kind of differences we chose? Ok, we won't make more. This kind of publicity is bad for our brand."
(Twenty years pass, full of Marvel movies but empty of Star Wars, then an announcement is made)
"Hey we hard-rebooted it, presenting "A Star War", coming Christmas 2040, with Seth Rogen as the Dark Father and James Franco as Obi Kenobi. This time there are two Death Stars in one!"

I'm a superhero movie person, not really a Star Wars movie person. If they stopped, I wouldn't mind. But I think SW fans would. I think the reaction has been really overblown, and its effects will not be helpful to the franchise overall.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// IdeasIdea Central //
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
(09-30-2019, 12:15 PM)addiesin Wrote: I just think the amount of vitriol that comes from current-gen haters is counterproductive and silly. They will not go away though so in the very near future I think the inevitable direction this will take, from the perspective of Disney, is as follows.
(A movie is made)
"You don't like it because it's too much of the same? Ok, we'll make more, and they will be different."
(Another movie is made)
"You don't like the specific kind of differences we chose? Ok, we won't make more. This kind of publicity is bad for our brand."
(Twenty years pass, full of Marvel movies but empty of Star Wars, then an announcement is made)
"Hey we hard-rebooted it, presenting "A Star War", coming Christmas 2040, with Seth Rogen as the Dark Father and James Franco as Obi Kenobi. This time there are two Death Stars in one!"

I'm a superhero movie person, not really a Star Wars movie person. If they stopped, I wouldn't mind. But I think SW fans would. I think the reaction has been really overblown, and its effects will not be helpful to the franchise overall.

I know a band that is very successful and have a rabid fan base. I actually knew them way before they were famous and my band used to play the same circuit back in the 80s. Contrary to popular belief, this band’s fans can be incredibly critical of the band they purport to love. I see a lot of similarities between their fan base and the Star Wars fan base. But the band has a very healthy attitude about it. They basically say it’s great to have created something that inspires so much passion. People aren’t going to like everything but at least they care enough to be passionate in their dislike. But they have the attitude that they are going to just keep doing what they love and try to do the best possible work they can. Listening to and taking creative cues from the fan base is the worst thing you can do. I’d imagine the Star Wars creatives feel very much the same way. At least I hope they do.
[+] 1 user Likes Moe_Syzlak's post