If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Captain Khajiit's Basic Guide to Decoding Video and Audio
^ I have updated the guide as suggested.
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.

Captain Khajiit's Basic Cross-platform Guide to Handling UHD
Captain Khajiit's Quick Guide to Encoding a BD via the Command-line
Captain Khajiit's Basic Guide to Encoding with HCenc

For tech support, PM me (politely) or use the @+username function: I rarely read through threads these days.
Well, it worked. Thanks for the tip, guys. Smile
Ok, this might be a really dumb question, but once I have it in virtualdub, do I save as lagarith avi and import into Vegas?
As a follow up question...I went ahead and converted to lagarith avi, and the resultant file is 175 gb for a 90 min movie Confusedhock:. That's over twice the size of the lagarith avi that I got following Throw's guide originally. Is this right?
TV's Frink Wrote:Ok, this might be a really dumb question, but once I have it in virtualdub, do I save as lagarith avi and import into Vegas?

Yes. Take the script into Virtualdub and render a lossless AVI. Make sure that you select fast recompress. This should be your script.

Code:
DirectShowSource("wherever\whatever.grf", fps=23.976, audio=false)
Assumefps(24000,1001)
ConverttoRGB(matrix="Rec709")

RGB files are bigger than YUV files. Your first AVI might have been YUV.

For tech support, PM me (politely) or use the @+username function: I rarely read through threads these days.
Isn't YUV or RGB dependent on the source? I used the same source to get the smaller file the first time.

Also, what does the fast recompress and the converttoRGB do? I seem to have the same result after that.
Quote:Isn't YUV or RGB dependent on the source?

No.

Quote:Also, what does the fast recompress and the converttoRGB do?

The former means that Virtualdub does not process your video, and the latter is a line in the script that converts your file to RGB properly, so that it is ready for editing in Vegas. If you received the same file-size as before, I wouldn't worry about it.

Looking back through my original workflow with Throw's guide, I realized that I resized to 1280x720 using a filter in vdub. I suspect if I do the same here, I'll get much closer to the 85gb file I had originally...
Yes. The file-size does not sound at all unusual to me, Frink. I think everything is fine.

Yep...final size 91.5 GB Smile

Side note - I couldn't do a fast recompress because that disables filters.