If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Captain Khajiit's Basic Guide to Decoding Video and Audio
As do I.
>>>Completed Edits<<<
Recently Completed: Crossing Mulberry Street
Currently Editing: Taxi Driver Rescored (Refn/Drive/Cliff Martinez Style)

"I used Adobe Premiere, I like to do a little weekend editing. I recently just cut 3 minutes out of Goodfellas."

awesome thread. thanks for putting this together captain Smile
Captain Khajiit Wrote:If you do not have access to a commercial DTS decoder, select DTS as your stream extraction type ("Extract As"). If you are dealing with DTS-HD MA or DTS-HD HR, you must add the -core switch to the + Options box, as shown below.
This will extract the DTS core. If you do not already know, DTS-HD audio is made up of two parts: a lossy “SD” core and a residual stream that contains the additional data that makes the audio HD. What we are doing here is discarding the residual stream (because no free decoder that can process it is available) and leaving the core, which should still contain high-quality audio. Proceed to the next step.

When copying a blu-ray, DVDfab has an option that says "remove hd audio". Here is a link with a screenshot and their description:
http://www.dvdfab.com/manual/settings/blu-ray-copy

Does checking that box essentially function as this '-core' step? ie, if I check the box, I will get DTS audio, not DTS-HD audio, so I won't need to just extract the core. But if I copy the disc without checking the box, I will get DTS-HD audio, and I will need to use '-core' here?

Is there any reason to do one vs the other? That is - is it better to have eac3to do this step or have DVDfab do it or would they do exactly the same thing with equal quality?
RollWave Wrote:When copying a blu-ray, DVDfab has an option that says "remove hd audio". Here is a link with a screenshot and their description:
http://www.dvdfab.com/manual/settings/blu-ray-copy

Does checking that box essentially function as this '-core' step? ie, if I check the box, I will get DTS audio, not DTS-HD audio, so I won't need to just extract the core. But if I copy the disc without checking the box, I will get DTS-HD audio, and I will need to use '-core' here?

Is there any reason to do one vs the other? That is - is it better to have eac3to do this step or have DVDfab do it or would they do exactly the same thing with equal quality?

it is my understanding that it just removes that track, not extract the core from it. i.e., if there is no other track, you get no audio.
TV's Frink Wrote:I anxiously await the good Captain's return and completion of this section Smile

The VC-1 section has been completed.

RollWave
I shall defer to Throw on what the box that you mentioned does. I always rip the whole disc and advise others to do the same.
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.

Captain Khajiit's Basic Cross-platform Guide to Handling UHD
Captain Khajiit's Quick Guide to Encoding a BD via the Command-line
Captain Khajiit's Basic Guide to Encoding with HCenc

For tech support, PM me (politely) or use the @+username function: I rarely read through threads these days.
Captain Khajiit Wrote:The VC-1 section has been completed.

:clap2:
Halp!

I'm trying to use the HD DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor GUI with Eac3to in order to demux my HD m2ts to mkv. This is the error I get:

Code:
eac3to v3.26
command line: "C:\Editing Tools\eac3to\eac3to.exe" "C:\MainMovie\AP_MAN_OF_MYSTERY_BD01\BDMV\STREAM" 1) 2:"C:\MainMovie\AP_MAN_OF_MYSTERY_BD01\BDMV\STREAM\1_2_video.mkv"  -progressnumbers
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
M2TS, 1 video track, 2 audio tracks, 1:29:35, 24p /1.001
1: Chapters, 24 chapters
2: VC-1, 1080p24 /1.001 (16:9)
3: AC3, English, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48kHz, dialnorm: -27dB
4: TrueHD/AC3, English, 5.1 channels, 48kHz, dialnorm: -27dB
   (embedded: AC3, 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48kHz, dialnorm: -27dB)
[v02] Extracting video track number 2...
[v02] Muxing video to Matroska...
[v02] Getting "Haali Matroska Muxer" instance failed.  <ERROR>
Aborted at file position 1048576.  <ERROR>

Note that I can demux to VC-1 without incident.
do you have haalimediasplitter installed?
Rollwave is right. Frink, check that Haali Media Splitter's installed and up to date by running this.

Code:
Eac3to -test
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.

Captain Khajiit's Basic Cross-platform Guide to Handling UHD
Captain Khajiit's Quick Guide to Encoding a BD via the Command-line
Captain Khajiit's Basic Guide to Encoding with HCenc

For tech support, PM me (politely) or use the @+username function: I rarely read through threads these days.
Thanks guys, I will check when I have more time.

By the way, does it mention this in the guide? I know it's listed in the tools section, but you might want to make it more clear in the demux section (unless I missed it somehow).