• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
wilhelm scream said:
I just thought it was a spelling error Warner Bros. made and couldn;t be bothered to fix.

really? REALLY?

Well it wouldn't be the first time a major movie studio has made a spelling error and not fixed it (e.g. Tommorrow never Dies was supposed to be Tommorrow never lies, but it a typo caused it to get the title).

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
V in the legal sense literally stands for "versus" so whether they put V or VS it 100% implies that they will be fighting. Every criminal case is the people versus the defendant. Also, there were multiple posters of them literally punching each other. Although, I never expected it to happen before the last act, or have lasting consequences.

Also, a studio has never just not bothered to fix a spelling error for months at a time, and never will. A typo gave them the title to Tomorrow Never Dies, but they thought it was better and made a choice to keep it. You don't accidentally market a title for a year plus.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know, my point is that versus spelled VS typically implies a physical fight, whereas V implies that the fight is beyond physical. As for the poster, that's just poor marketing.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I gotcha. Regardless, I think both people who love the movie and those who hate it can come together and agree that it is a terrible title

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hoping to get some passionate reactions, good or bad, to my experimenting with a Martha-less option of THE most polarizing scene in the movie, using fear now instead of maternity as the main motivation. Any input on the scene is welcome, and if the overall attempt is too jarring. I also wonder if there is enough motivation for Clark to trust Bruce now, since the reaction is less about their similarities and more about Batman's decent into fear...

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! (And, has this been done before?) Open to advice for better ways to edit a flashback reveal here as well.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wakeupkeo said:
Open to advice for better ways to edit a flashback reveal here as well.

Well done, I think that's a really novel idea, I particularly liked the additional audio you added in. Personally for me the visual flashback is too long, it certainly works and conveys it's point but I feel less is probably more here. Applying a filter, maybe high contrast black and white, would make it more immediately obvious it is a flashback but I'm not sure it would be necessary if the flash back is shorter. Bruce's parents have been killed in various movies so there might be a single sequence that encapsulates it. I remember a scene of pearls hitting the floor, I think that would be instantly recognizable and convey the message without losing pacing or being too prosaic. Lois screams stop, Bruce thinks of his mother's scream, cuts back to the present and the voices in his head. Seriously though, great idea. The question is what do you do next.

Canon Editor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The edit is very good! Well done. I do agree with @"Malthus", the flashback should be shorter and, especially, the difference in cinematography is stark: you could use some shots (like the one Malthus proposed) from BvS instead of the ones from Batman Begins? Or maybe, you could apply a high-contrast filter to make the colour palette closer between the two movies. 
Well done.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Malthus said:
Personally for me the visual flashback is too long, it certainly works and conveys it's point but I feel less is probably more here. Applying a filter, maybe high contrast black and white, would make it more immediately obvious it is a flashback but I'm not sure it would be necessary if the flash back is shorter. Bruce's parents have been killed in various movies so there might be a single sequence that encapsulates it. I remember a scene of pearls hitting the floor, I think that would be instantly recognizable and convey the message without losing pacing or being too prosaic. Lois screams stop, Bruce thinks of his mother's scream, cuts back to the present and the voices in his head. Seriously though, great idea. The question is what do you do next.

Thanks Malthus!
Agree that its too long, and I might be able to get a tighter "montage" shot with the pearls included with a bit more work. And the films style visual change is noticeable on my big screen, I'll need to adjust contrast to more closely resemble BvS.

As for what to do next, I am hoping this flows more naturally with what the rest of the film has already set up. Before this point Bruce has been careless and angry in his actions, but here he finally gets to see the faces of Clark and Lois when they’re at his mercy. He thinks back to when his parents died, and he realizes that he’s Joe Chill in this situation, and he has been for a very long time.

Immediately next? I will probably pepper the flashback here, without the final Thomas Wayne lines, into the earlier Bruce Wayne visions.

Wakeupkeo

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Canon Editor said:
The edit is very good! Well done. I do agree with @"Malthus", the flashback should be shorter and, especially, the difference in cinematography is stark: you could use some shots (like the one Malthus proposed) from BvS instead of the ones from Batman Begins? Or maybe, you could apply a high-contrast filter to make the colour palette closer between the two movies. 
Well done.

Thanks Canon Editor!

I also not notice the films style visual change, on my big screen, I'll need to adjust contrast to more closely resemble BvS. As shot, the BvS and BB scenes are too different - in BvS there are less visual parallels to female lying over and protecting male, and Thomas Wayne doesn't mention fear in BvS like BB. It was only after rewatching BB that I noticed the parallels.

There might be a way to use only visuals from BvS but get the same effect. I will continue working.

Lightning Edits

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Haha this was a fun thread to look back on. It's funny seeing the hate for Ben Affleck's Batman casting and Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman casting but they turned out to be the best parts of the movie. Oh well, I guess this just comes to show you can't judge something before you see it. But it still was a flawed movie. Let's see what Justice League will have to offer.

Top Bottom